Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Books coming in March, what are you looking forward to?

This is just a thought for a monthly thread that I know I'd be interested in and hopefully others are too. I thought that the month before they come out we could post the upcoming releases we're looking forward to (and discuss them a bit). Doesn't even have to be something you're for sure going to buy. I've found discussions like this in the past have helped me find new authors.

If folks aren't interested then I guess this thread will die fairly quickly.
If they are maybe we could start doing one each month.

So I'll start out...

These are all coming March 5th

Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson book 7)
Quote:
Mercy Thompson’s life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Adam Hauptman—the charismatic Alpha of the local werewolf pack—has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy’s life. But on the edges of humanity, what passes for a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more…

After an accident in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Mercy and Jesse can’t reach Adam—or anyone else in the pack for that matter. They’ve all been abducted.

Through their mating bond, all Mercy knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. With the werewolves fighting a political battle to gain acceptance from the public, Mercy fears Adam’s disappearance may be related—and that he and the pack are in serious danger. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from any ally she can get, no matter how unlikely.
Shadow of Freedom by David Weber (Honor Harrington book 18?)
Quote:
New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal and international best-selling phenomenon David Weber delivers book #18 in the multiple New York Times best-selling Honor Harrington series.

Wrong number? There are two sides to any quarrel . . . unless there are more.

Queen Elizabeth of Manticore's first cousin and Honor Harrington's best friend, Michelle Henke, has just handed the "invincible" Solarian League Navy the most humiliating, one sided defeat in its entire almost thousand year history in defense of the people of the Star Empire's Talbott Quadrant. But the League is the most powerful star nation in the history of humanity. Its navy is going to be back—and this time with thousands of superdreadnoughts.

Yet she also knows scores of other star systems—some independent, some controlled by puppet regimes, and some simply conquered outright by the Solarian Office of Frontier Security—lie in the League's grip along its frontier with the Talbott Quadrant. As combat spreads from the initial confrontation,the entire frontier has begun to seethe with unrest, and Michelle sympathizes with the oppressed populations wanting only to be free of their hated masters.

And that puts her in something of a quandary when a messenger from Mobius arrives, because someone's obviously gotten a wrong number. According to him, the Mobians' uprising has been carefully planned to coordinate with a powerful outside ally: the Star Empire of Manticore. Only Manticore—and Mike Henke—have never even heard of the Mobius Liberation Front.

It's a set up . . . and Michelle knows who's behind it. The shadowy Mesan Alignment has launched a bold move to destroy Manticore's reputation as the champion of freedom. And when the RMN doesn't arrive, when the MLF is brutally and bloodily crushed, no independent star system will ever trust Manticore again.

Mike Henke knows she has no orders from her government to assist any rebellions or liberation movements, that she has only so many ships, which can be in only so many places at a time . . . and that she can't possibly justify diverting any of her limited, outnumbered strength to missions of liberation the Star Empire never signed on for. She knows that . . . and she doesn't care.

No one is going to send thousands of patriots to their deaths, trusting in Manticoran help that will never come.

Not on Mike Henke's watch.

This one I just heard about today, but it sounds like it might be interesting.
When We Wake by Karen Healy
Quote:
My name is Tegan Oglietti, and on the last day of my first lifetime, I was so, so happy.

Sixteen-year-old Tegan is just like every other girl living in 2027--she's happiest when playing the guitar, she's falling in love for the first time, and she's joining her friends to protest the wrongs of the world: environmental collapse, social discrimination, and political injustice.

But on what should have been the best day of Tegan's life, she dies--and wakes up a hundred years in the future, locked in a government facility with no idea what happened.

Tegan is the first government guinea pig to be cryonically frozen and successfully revived, which makes her an instant celebrity--even though all she wants to do is try to rebuild some semblance of a normal life. But the future isn't all she hoped it would be, and when appalling secrets come to light, Tegan must make a choice: Does she keep her head down and survive, or fight for a better future?

Award-winning author Karen Healey has created a haunting, cautionary tale of an inspiring protagonist living in a not-so-distant future that could easily be our own.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-13-2013 at 10:54 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) by Dana Stabenow

I've got an almost March I'm looking forward to. It's Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) by Dana Stabenow - Feb 26, 2013
Quote:
New York Times bestselling author Dana Stabenow's latest finds Kate Shugak entangled in a bitter tribal rivalry and murder

One hundred years of bad blood between the villages of Kushtaka and Kuskulana come to a boil when the body of a young Kushtaka ne'er-do-well is found wedged in a fish wheel. Sergeant Jim Chopin's prime suspect is a Kuskulana man who is already in trouble in both villages for falling in love across the river. But when the suspect disappears, members of both tribes refuse to speak to Jim. When a second murder that looks suspiciously like payback occurs, Jim has no choice but to call in Kate Shugak for help. This time, though, her Park relationships may not be enough to sort out the truth hidden in the tales of tragedy and revenge.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Does someone have a link to upcoming March releases?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I was going to post Shadow of Freedom by David Weber but you beat me too it. Always look forward to a new Honor book.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
This thread is a great idea! I'm looking forward to Frost Burned as well, along with Midnight Blue Light Special by Seanan McGuire and Lover at Last by J.R. Ward.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've got an almost March I'm looking forward to. It's Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) by Dana Stabenow - Feb 26, 2013

I'm looking forward to that one too, although I need to get caught up as I still haven't read the last one.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Does someone have a link to upcoming March releases?
That's part of the problem for me. While I've found places that list some upcoming releases I haven't found one that lists them all and can be filtered well. You'd think the retailers would do a better job of this.

I usually have certain authors I check every once & a while to see what they have coming out new. I'll sometimes look through the upcoming lists at Fantastic Fiction and FictionDB. The first I like because it shows cover, the latter because of it's filtering options.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I was going to post Shadow of Freedom by David Weber but you beat me too it. Always look forward to a new Honor book.
Anyone intending to buy and read Shadow of Freedom, should whoosh to Baen's web site right now.

Today and possibly tomorrow you can buy Shadow of Freedom, along with six other books for $18. On the 16th, Shadow of Freedom will cost $9.99.

$8.01 for six books is a bargain. Especially as it includes a new book in the Darkship series by Sarah A Hoyt.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This is just a thought for a monthly thread that I know I'd be interested in and hopefully others are too. I thought that the month before they come out we could post the upcoming releases we're looking forward to (and discuss them a bit). Doesn't even have to be something you're for sure going to buy. I've found discussions like this in the past have helped me find new authors.

If folks aren't interested then I guess this thread will die fairly quickly.
If they are maybe we could start doing one each month.

So I'll start out...

These are all coming March 5th

Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson book 7)

This one I just heard about today, but it sounds like it might be interesting.
When We Wake by Karen Healy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
This thread is a great idea! I'm looking forward to Frost Burned as well, along with Midnight Blue Light Special by Seanan McGuire and Lover at Last by J.R. Ward.
Quote:
I'm looking forward to that one too, although I need to get caught up as I still haven't read the last one.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Anyone intending to buy and read Shadow of Freedom, should whoosh to Baen's web site right now.

Today and possibly tomorrow you can buy Shadow of Freedom, along with six other books for $18. On the 16th, Shadow of Freedom will cost $9.99.

$8.01 for six books is a bargain. Especially as it includes a new book in the Darkship series by Sarah A Hoyt.
If Baen follows past practices, then after noon on the 15th the complete ebooks will be posted on Baen Ebooks and at Amazon.

Shadow of Freedom, Baen Amazon*.

bernie

(*Please allow up to 48 hours for the Ebooks to fully propagate in all Amazon marketplaces)
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
That's part of the problem for me. While I've found places that list some upcoming releases I haven't found one that lists them all and can be filtered well. You'd think the retailers would do a better job of this.

I usually have certain authors I check every once & a while to see what they have coming out new. I'll sometimes look through the upcoming lists at Fantastic Fiction and FictionDB. The first I like because it shows cover, the latter because of it's filtering options.
I use Author Alerts for my favorite authors.
http://www.authoralerts.com/
Start an account and add authors you like. When a new books is released you get an email.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Seconding Seanan McGuire's Midnight Blue Light Special, and really looking forward to Tanith Low in the Maleficent Seven by Derek Landy.

Also, the Third Doctor short story in the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Short Stories series (one e-story per Doctor) - neither the title nor the author have been announced yet, but I'm hoping it's someone good (first two Doctors' stories were by Eoin Colfer and Michael Scott, so they're definitely going for the current big names in children's / YA fiction as the series announcement promised).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Start an account and add authors you like. When a new books is released you get an email.
Apache
Thanks. Found something similar today too http://authoralarms.com/
Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Great idea for a thread.

The one I'm looking forward to is 5th book in The Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko called The New Watch. Its a conclusion to a great show so far
Here is more about the series if anybody cares.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/42178
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Quote:
Thanks. Found something similar today too http://authoralarms.com/
Thanks for these. Previously, I've relied on GRs monthly emails.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote