Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
honey
Banned
honey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Impact on iPad?

It's no secret that Apple is targeting the e-reader market with its new iPad. So what does the NPD study say about the iPad's chances in this genre?

The fact that e-reader owners want more titles is good news for the iPad, which supports the ePub standard for digital books. Since ePub enables publishers to create e-books in a single format for any device that supports the standard, the iPad could very well build up an e-book catalog in a hurry.
E-reader users want color screens: Another plus for Apple. The iPad's 9.7-inch backlit color display is getting rave reviews, and it's bound to dazzle consumers shopping for an e-reader. Then again, the relatively drab E-Ink displays found on the leading e-readers, including the Kindle, Nook, and Sony Reader, cause less eyestrain and are better for reading book-length content.
Users also want longer battery life: A big minus for Apple. The Kindle goes days between charges, but the iPad lasts 10 hours at the most.

Of course, the e-reader market is very new and wide open at this point. It's intriguing that e-reader owners are so satisfied with the earliest versions of these devices.
honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I must be a dinosaur. To me its really simple, I want nothing between me, and my words.

So show me a touchpad device, where I am constantly touching the screen in order to do anything, and I turn away in disgust. Sorry, not interested, really don't care.

Show me something like the Jetbook that is reasonably priced enough that I can actually save and buy one, that has very nice controls for accessing everything so I never have to touch the screen. And I perk up my ears and say, hmmmm, has potential, show me more.

Besides apple stuff is WAY overpriced, your paying to be one of the "in" crowd. Which is fine if that is all you need to get for your money.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
I must be a dinosaur. To me its really simple, I want nothing between me, and my words.

So show me a touchpad device, where I am constantly touching the screen in order to do anything, and I turn away in disgust. Sorry, not interested, really don't care.
So pressing a button to the right of the screen is fine, but pressing the right edge of the screen isn't? That's just trying to find reasons not to like it
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
So how many ereaders have autoscroll, anyway, speaking of not touching it at all, basically?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
So how many ereaders have autoscroll, anyway, speaking of not touching it at all, basically?
Autoscrolls I find horrible. But I do want a button to navigate to the next/previous page, and preferably the menu as well.

Quote:
So pressing a button to the right of the screen is fine, but pressing the right edge of the screen isn't? That's just trying to find reasons not to like it
Yes, because the press on a button won't leave a fingerprint mark on my reading area. Especially a high glossy one, like the Ipad has. It's a fingerprint heaven. I only use a pen on my touchscreens.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Autoscrolls I find horrible. But I do want a button to navigate to the next/previous page, and preferably the menu as well.
When I read on a PDA, I used a bookreader called "uBook" with autoscroll, and liked it a lot. It works very well, provided that there's a button to start and stop it. Just a matter of setting it to match your reading speed.

Quote:
Yes, because the press on a button won't leave a fingerprint mark on my reading area. Especially a high glossy one, like the Ipad has. It's a fingerprint heaven. I only use a pen on my touchscreens.
The iPad is indeed a fingerprint magnet, but the fingerprints only show up when it's switched off. Because of the backlighting, they are completely invisible when you're using the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have yet to leave a fingerprint on my Sony Touch. All it takes to work is a light tap, there is no need to mash your finger on the screen.

I also find it easier to use the page turn buttons at the bottom of the screen rather than swipe my finger.

Also the touch provides you with a stylus that you can use to tap the screen if you don't want to do it with your finger. So there is NO reason not to get one. At least not for the above complaint.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by honey View Post
Of course, the e-reader market is very new and wide open at this point. It's intriguing that e-reader owners are so satisfied with the earliest versions of these devices.
Intriguing is a nice way to put it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by honey View Post
It's intriguing that e-reader owners are so satisfied with the earliest versions of these devices.
Well, for some of us its been over 10 years of e-Reader devices, and for all their faults, the new ones are pretty nice.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Well, for some of us its been over 10 years of e-Reader devices, and for all their faults, the new ones are pretty nice.
Some of us a heck of a lot longer. I started reading eBooks on a Psion 3 "clamshell" PDA in 1991, so that's almost 20 years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
you see what gets me is, I'm willing to wager that about 90% of the people are not buying the iPad FOR the e-book reading feature, but more for web browsing, streaming movies and videos, all the fun apps and the ebook reader is a "cool i guess" extra.

as where people buying the Nook, Kindle,sony etc. are buying them FOR e-reading.
Just because the press wants the iPad to kill e-readers doesn't make it so.

Last edited by boswd; 06-23-2010 at 02:56 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
you see what gets me is, I'm willing to wager that about 90% of the people are not buying the iPad FOR the e-book reading feature, but more for web browsing, streaming movies and videos, all the fun apps and the ebook reader is a "cool i guess" extra.

as where people buying the Nook, Kindle,sony etc. are buying them FOR e-reading.
Just because the press wants the iPad to e-reading doesn't make it so.
But what difference does that make, really? If people keep buying the Nook and Kindle FOR e-reading, then they'll be successful, and the market expands. And iPad users who buy iPads for web browsing, streaming movies, and fun apps may discover they like e-reading as well, and the market expands.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
At this time I am using a netbook to read kindle and barnes and noble ebooks on. I did have a EZReader but decided that it was limiting my choice of ebooks and DRM formats. I really would like not having to deal with drm but such is life when need to read something or wish for some down time to read. The lowering of the price of the kindle and the nook has me thinking again about a ebook reader. Some will ask why not a ipad in a word the money and no path to update or upgrade memory.
At least with my netbook I can either add a sdhd or I can add usb flash memory.
An will my battery life may not match the ipad nor a ebook reader I do get 8+ hrs of reading time with the wifi disabled. And I paid less than a third the cost of a ipad with wifi and 3g. I do have a 4g/3g usb device and service.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

Just because the press wants the iPad to e-reading doesn't make it so.
If readers weren't as crippled as they are, they'd have many of the same functions as an iPad, and people would buy them for similarly varied reasons. They are only "specialized" because they cannot do anything particularly well, and displaying badly typeset text is pretty much the simplest thing after a calculator.

My guess is that many people do buy iPads primarily for reading (I've even entertained the idea a few times myself), and many of the other functions are just extra justification. More power to them. I'd like it if the iPad were a bit higher res and wasn't so tethered, and if there were some decent ebook reading programs out there for it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I'm not sure if you even meant that post as a rational statement, but here goes anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
If readers weren't as crippled as they are, they'd have many of the same functions as an iPad, and people would buy them for similarly varied reasons.
I know a half-dozen people who own Sony 505s, and not one of them uses any of the additional features (eg mp3 player, picture viewer, games.) They bought them to read ebooks. Dedicated ebook readers are only "crippled" from your point of view.

Quote:
They are only "specialized" because they cannot do anything particularly well, and displaying badly typeset text is pretty much the simplest thing after a calculator.
The current ereader market shows you are badly mistaken. The reason ereaders like the Sony, Kindle & Nook are so successfully is because they work well as ebook readers - even with their current faults.

And are you attempting to imply that "displaying badly typeset text" would somehow be better on the iPad with it's color LCD + bells & whistles? The characterisation of the text is more a quality of the document not the reader - although some readers do have issues with some parts of existing standards. (eg. older ADE-based ereaders can't handle justification, iPad can't handle embedded fonts, etc.)

Quote:
My guess is that many people do buy iPads primarily for reading (I've even entertained the idea a few times myself), and many of the other functions are just extra justification. More power to them.
Again, your "guess", your "idea". I know a couple of people who actually have iPads - not one of them bought it for the ereader capability. In fact, only one actually has any books on his.

Quote:
I'd like it if the iPad were a bit higher res and wasn't so tethered, and if there were some decent ebook reading programs out there for it.
If, in your opinion, there aren't even any "decent ebook reading programs" for the iPad, then why would people "buy iPads primarily for reading"? And how could you possible see it as an non-crippled ebook reader?

Your points of view are inconsistent and do not seem to match reality.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote