Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #46
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJohnson View Post
Just found out that Nook no longer supports Nook for PC for magazine subscriptions. I found out when I tried to get my March Analog copy. Got my Feb Asimov's fine on Jan 1, but changed sometime during this month. Since can't get PC mag downloads from Amazon, any suggestions? Looks like Kobo has the same restrictions...
Being able to get my magazine epubs are the only reason I still deal with B&N...this disappears and I'm done!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #47
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
Being able to get my magazine epubs are the only reason I still deal with B&N...this disappears and I'm done!
Honestly, I don't know if I've ever seen a company try harder to lose customers.
Advert
Old 01-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #48
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
At least we know from my experience that if you cancel early, they'll give you a prorated refund of your remaining sub time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Honestly, I don't know if I've ever seen a company try harder to lose customers.
Oh I don't know, I believe Hollywood has the record on that. They keep trying to neuter Netflix by not letting them get licenses in a timely manner, or at all. And they treat all their paying customers like criminals and subject them to hideous DRM.

Come to think of it, B&N is starting to act a lot like Hollywood. I just hope this isn't all at the demand of publishers, because it'll spread to other stores too if it is.

Personally, if I can't strip the DRM, I won't buy the e-book. Simple as that. And I don't want physical copies anymore, so I'd just do without.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:44 PM   #49
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Actually, I want to avoid B&N for everything now. THey have changed the way they handle DRM, and the new method of removing it (getting info from a named file) doesn't work for me since named file has only error info.
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have a lot of books in your B&N library?

Because if so, the info that you need may actually have gotten pushed back to a backup file in the same location, renamed with .old.txt.

(This is what happened on my install on my Mac, since I've acquired literally thousands of official publisher promo freebies over the years, and apparently a single log file isn't enough to contain them all when the app starts up and begins the check and sync routine.)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 AM   #50
LJJohnson
Groupie
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: -- Home is where the RV stops (Texas ~6 months/year)
Device: Kindle Fire HDX, Fire HD, Paperwhite,Android & Windpws phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have a lot of books in your B&N library?

Because if so, the info that you need may actually have gotten pushed back to a backup file in the same location, renamed with .old.txt.

(This is what happened on my install on my Mac, since I've acquired literally thousands of official publisher promo freebies over the years, and apparently a single log file isn't enough to contain them all when the app starts up and begins the check and sync routine.)
Actually, I only have ~200 of B&N, with ~500 from KOBO and ~18,000 from AMZ. After being laid off a couple of years back, had more time than money, who have searched excessively for freebies...

I cleared all the BXXXXXX*.txt files from my computer, so I could hopefully catch a clean copy of the file. However, I've only downloaded a couple of free books since then, and apparently the file hasn't been recreated. Even doing the search f/cmd prompt, to get around all the MS search weirdness since Win2k I can't find where one has been created.
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #51
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Should have mentioned -- the only mags I'm currently interested in are Asimov, Analog, and Outdoor Photographer. Both Asimov and Analog redirect to the usual suspects (Amazon, Kobo, etc) and Outdoor Photographer redirects to those plus Zinio.
If a vendor's policy deters you from buying the magazines, make sure you notify the publisher as well as the vendor.

I only subscribe to Analog and Asimov's, and I occasionally buy individual issues of Hitchcock's and Elery Queen. I would love to buy these directly from the publisher, especially since Dell seems to be pretty progressive -- most notably, they offer them without DRM.

I imagine vendors probably have contract terms that prohibit/discourage publishers from selling directly, but the publisher needs to know that readers are dissatisfied.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #52
LJJohnson
Groupie
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
If a vendor's policy deters you from buying the magazines, make sure you notify the publisher as well as the vendor.

I imagine vendors probably have contract terms that prohibit/discourage publishers from selling directly, but the publisher needs to know that readers are dissatisfied.
Good idea, and done (for all 3 publishers).
Old 02-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #53
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Fire HD 6 is $84 today!

The 8GB Fire HD 6 is $84 today at Amazon.com, which is $15 off the regular $99 price. This is a great little tablet!

Also, Best Buy is selling the 8GB Fire HD 6 for $84.99 this week.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 02-01-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #54
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
I cleared all the BXXXXXX*.txt files from my computer, so I could hopefully catch a clean copy of the file. However, I've only downloaded a couple of free books since then, and apparently the file hasn't been recreated. Even doing the search f/cmd prompt, to get around all the MS search weirdness since Win2k I can't find where one has been created.
Perhaps try signing out of your account and then back in again?

It turns out that's what I needed to do to get the new key to show up again in the relevant file after some of my account info changed, which it didn't after I'd just deleted the entire folder it was contained in to check if it was generated every time after opening the app, or just upon downloading/reading a book, or otherwise. (They probably stick it in a database somewhere after it's initially been gotten.)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #55
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I've been having a hard time lately remembering all of my passwords so I'm going to give the following program a shot.

Keep Yourself Safe Online With a Free Year* of RoboForm Everywhere!

http://www.roboform.com/lp?frm=rfp-022
Old 02-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #56
LJJohnson
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I've been having a hard time lately remembering all of my passwords so I'm going to give the following program a shot.

I have been using Password Safe at http://pwsafe.org/ for well over 4 years. Probably have 200+ passwords, since I use a different password for everything. Not web-based, but there is an app for both Kindle and Android (3rd party, but it works), and you can always make a copy to a memory stick. Simple, straightforward, and popular.
  • Start your safe and simplified digital life
  • Free open source software
  • Installation in minutes on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8
  • Designed by renowned security technologist Bruce Schneier
  • Over 4 million downloads
Old 02-03-2015, 01:52 AM   #57
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post

I prefer Lastpass.com I have used them for years. They offer a free version and a premium version. The premium is around 20 a year. They have apps for all tablets and smartphones.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #58
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I prefer Lastpass.com I have used them for years. They offer a free version and a premium version. The premium is around 20 a year. They have apps for all tablets and smartphones.
I use Lastpass too, but unless they've changed things, the mobile apps are a premium feature. You can test it for two weeks I think, but then it won't work any longer unless you upgrade. It's quite cheap though, at $12 a year.

I use a combo of Lastpass and the free KeePass 2. I put things like bank accounts and credit card logins only in KeePass and manually copy/paste those when I need them.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #59
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
I use B-Folders, which I feel is safer, because it syncs devices via a wireless network (but only devices logged in with the B-Folders password) and does not post data in the cloud or on the web.

Last edited by Froide; 02-03-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't need those fancy programs because I use a certain yellow fruit for all of my passwords. It's easy to remember and no one would ever guess that it's my super secret password.
Closed Thread