Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #301
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
wow, JSWolf, sounds like an awful lot of work to go through for an ebook.
It sounds worse then it actually was. If you know what you are doing, it's not difficult. deleting files is trivial. removing the deleted files from the OPF is trivial. Adding in the fonts is easy. Selecting how to get them used takes looking where they go and adding/changing the code. Fixing all the fake blockquotes was a matter of searching to find where it needs to be fixed and then fixing. Adding the fonts to the OPF was the hardest part. Editing toc.ncx to remove the entries no longer needed wasn't hard. All in all, if I didn't want to bother to make the code look nice, I could have done it in 1/2 the time. And when putting in the coding needed to activate the fonts in the XML, it was a matter of seeing if I also needed to delete the bold and/or italics.

Now that I've done it, I should be able to do it even faster for the next book. Well, faster relative to the difference in size. And the thing is, now that it is done, I'll have it that way always.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #302
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here are screen shots from the iPad of Harry Potter #1 with some of the changes I've made to make it look more like the print edition.
Looks really good!

Quote:
Also, I've embedded the fonts used in the print version.
Can you please list the fonts you used?

I'm think as a time waster intellectual exercise of trying this on the UK versions.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #303
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
It sounds worse then it actually was. If you know what you are doing, it's not difficult. deleting files is trivial. removing the deleted files from the OPF is trivial. Adding in the fonts is easy. Selecting how to get them used takes looking where they go and adding/changing the code. Fixing all the fake blockquotes was a matter of searching to find where it needs to be fixed and then fixing. Adding the fonts to the OPF was the hardest part. Editing toc.ncx to remove the entries no longer needed wasn't hard. All in all, if I didn't want to bother to make the code look nice, I could have done it in 1/2 the time. And when putting in the coding needed to activate the fonts in the XML, it was a matter of seeing if I also needed to delete the bold and/or italics.

Now that I've done it, I should be able to do it even faster for the next book. Well, faster relative to the difference in size. And the thing is, now that it is done, I'll have it that way always.
File Under: Asking for the Moon...

It would also be great if you posted code snippets (the CSS entry and then a single use)! That may be better in the developer section, but it would be great to see what you did for us wannabe epub hackers.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #304
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

What would be interesting is if you could create either a Python or perl script to automate the editting
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #305
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Looks really good!

Can you please list the fonts you used?

I'm think as a time waster intellectual exercise of trying this on the UK versions.

Cheers,
Simon.
Garamond is the main font and the smallcaps font. Lumos is for the titles/chapter headings/subheadings/dropcap.

The following is from the US version of the print edition so the page numbers won't be correct. But the chapters should be correct.

Rubeus Hagrid
SS [ch.3 pg.34 i ]
SS [ch.3 pg.42 i ]
SS [ch.4 pg.52 i ]
SS [ch.8 pg.135/136 i ]
Felt Tip Roman

Daily Prophet Headline
SS [ch.8 pg.141 i ]
Franklin Gothic LT Extra Condensed

Headmaster Albus Dumbledore
SS [ch.12 pg.202 i ]
SS [ch.15 pg.261 i ]
Freestyle Script

You will have to remove the bold/italics from the headers and places where you use these fonts.

One thing I've done that's not related to the fonts is I've changed all their pseudo-blockquotes to true blockquotes.
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #306
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
File Under: Asking for the Moon...

It would also be great if you posted code snippets (the CSS entry and then a single use)! That may be better in the developer section, but it would be great to see what you did for us wannabe epub hackers.

-Pie
I removed all of the font-family code from the CSS that referred to Times Roman.

Here are the parts of the CSS code that I've modified.

Code:
@font-face {
font-family: Garamond;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(fonts/AGaramondPro-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
src: url(fonts/AGaramondPro-Italic.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
src: url(fonts/AGaramondPro-Bold.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-style: italic;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(fonts/AGaramondPro-BoldItalic.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: AGSC;
src: url(fonts/AGaramondPro-SC.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: Lumos;
src: url(fonts/Lumos.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Felt Tip Roman";
src: url(fonts/FeltTipRoman.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: FGTCE;
src: url(fonts/FranklinGothicLTExtraCondensed.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: FSL;
src: url(fonts/FreestyleScriptLT.ttf);
}
body {
  widows: 0;
  orphans: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  text-align: justify
}
p {
text-indent: 1.2em;
}
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0
}
h1 {
font-size: 260%;
margin: 0
}
h3 {
font-size: 100%;
}
h5 {
font-size: 150%;
}
h2 {
font-size: 200%;
margin: 0;
}
h4 {
font-size: 90%;
margin-top: 20px;
margin-bottom: .5em
}
.letter {
font-family: "Felt Tip Roman"
}
.letter2 {
font-family: FSL
}
.headline {
text-indent: 0;
text-align: center;
font-family: FGTCE
}
.drop {
float: left;
font-size: 3.4em;
margin-right: 0;
line-height: .7em;
margin-top: .05em
}
.sc {
font-family: AGSC
}
.title {
font-size: 260%;
text-indent: 0;
margin-left: +0;
margin-right: +0;
margin-top: 15%;
margin-bottom: 1%;
text-align: center
}
Where there were pseudo-blockquotes that needed a change in the font style, I've remove any italics and removed the pseudo-blockquote code then put in a code like <blockquote class="letter"> and then ended the section with </blockquote>.

The sc style is for the smallcaps. So in the XML, you have to find every instance and convert the uppercase to lowercase.

Putting in the code for the fonts was quite easy. If anyone needs to see the actual code in the XML files, I can dig it out to post.

If you are using a Kobo reader, the font-family code in the body style will not work. You can try and move it to the p section of the CSS and see if that catches all the instances needed.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-01-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #307
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Garamond is the main font and the smallcaps font. Lumos is for the titles/chapter headings/subheadings/dropcap.

Thanks!

I'd seen the references to Garamond and Lumos earlier this thread, but the others I couldn't have guessed.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #308
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Here are screen shots from the iPad of Harry Potter #1 with some of the changes I've made to make it look more like the print edition.

I've changed the coloring in the cover because some of the text was just washed out. Also, I've embedded the fonts used in the print version. I think it looks very nice.
Looks awesome! Do you have the names of the fonts used? Trying to do the same but so far, I've only changed the headings to Lumos and the body text to Garamond.

Never mind, I see you've posted the CSS. Thank you very much for that!

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-02-2012 at 09:48 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #309
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:

I don't understand a bit of this, but I salute your knowledge, tenacity and desire for perfection. Really!
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #310
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, I was hoping that the US versions of the HP eBooks would have come out with the embedded fonts set up to look like the print version. But they didn't. So I'm doing it myself. Later this week, I'll get to dealing with #2.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #311
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The British version the fonts look similar to what I remember in the book but I have an awful eye for that type of thing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #312
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I believe both British and US versions used Garamond (remember reading that somewhere). It's all the fancy fonts that the British version didn't have.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #313
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I believe both British and US versions used Garamond (remember reading that somewhere). It's all the fancy fonts that the British version didn't have.
The UK versions use ITC Berkeley Oldstyle.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #314
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Where do you find the US fonts? Are they free or inexpensive?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #315
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Not all of the ones I've used are free.

Lumos is free. The Garamond I've used is not free. I don't know about the smallcaps version. I found that one somewhere online. Felt Tip Roman isn't free. And the others, I'm not sure of.

But there may be free versions or similar enough fonts for free that will do.