Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Some things I have found handy (may have been discussed elsewhere):

Alt-B (automatically bookmarks page--for me faster than using scroll wheel)

Alt-"number" (allows faster navagation if you have several home pages. Rather than clicking 7 times to get to the 7th page of book listings, I would Alt-7. Way faster.)

Last edited by tsgreer; 11-28-2007 at 04:39 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Alt-"number" (allows faster navagation if you have several home pages. Rather than clicking 7 times to get to the 7th page of book listings, I would Alt-7. Way faster.)
You don't need the Alt, just press the number.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #18
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Oh wow really? For some reason that doesn't work for me. Hmmm....
Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I reset and now it works. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #20
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
I reset and now it works. Thanks!
Excellent. Your experience prompted me to retry playing mp3s via the audible folder after a reset. I copied both a music file and another Economist recording (spoken word) to the Audible folder. The music file played but the Economist recording did not.

I looked at the mp3s to see what was different and the Economist recording is in mono. To see if that was the problem I edited the mp3 and created a fake stereo version of it (just duplicating the sound to both left and right channels) and sure enough, now the Kindle would play it.

Silly bug. They should play mono mp3s. I'll report it to them.
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If you scroll up one notch from the bottom and click, you will be able to use the Next/Previous page buttons to jump through the bookmarks in the ebook.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-02-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
This may seem like a no-brainer to some but I notice quite a few complaints on various sites about the kindle not staying in the case while reading. You can loop the elastic strap over the bottom right corner. Keeps it in place nicely. I fold it a tiny bit to keep it from bumping the font button.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #23
zartemis
Addict

In addition to the menu bar, which lets you page through the bookmarks, or pick a number [1, 2 ..., 9, 0] to go to that tenth of the book, there are two shortcuts to jump ahead and back: ALT-Next Page will jump ahead 5% of the book and ALT-Prev Page will jump back 5%.

Found the shortcuts listed on the Amazon site forums and tested them out.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check out the features and shortcuts I discovered ("Bonus content" section of the post):
http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/h...shell-and.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Check out the features and shortcuts I discovered ("Bonus content" section of the post):
http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/h...shell-and.html
I don't usually say this to anyone, but igorsk, I love you!!!

P.S. The Google Maps shortcut takes me to the right page, but says my location is not available.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Another useful feature on the Kindle: you can create hyperlinks in a Mobipocket file
That's how I created the Kindle download guide: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17465

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with oeb:redirect, you cannot create a link to another book on your device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #27
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
anyone figure out way to edit the screen saver pictures? as in add more.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use picture viewer and then press Alt-Shift-0 on desired image to add it to user screensaver list.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #29
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Use picture viewer and then press Alt-Shift-0 on desired image to add it to user screensaver list.
This works great if you are using your picture viewer. Just be aware that it will make only that pic your screen saver--it won't cycle through them.

To get back your regular default rotating screen saver pics, you just reset the Kindle.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
This works great if you are using your picture viewer. Just be aware that it will make only that pic your screen saver--it won't cycle through them.

To get back your regular default rotating screen saver pics, you just reset the Kindle.
Oh, goody! I'm going to use it to make a "property of" screen.