Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Funseeker
Funseeker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Installation Problems

PRS-300 Install Problems
Looking through your various posts, it would appear that no-one can assist with the problems that thousands of people are having trying to get their PRS-300 Pocket E-Readers to work.
Sony cannot help; all knowledgeable staff are on annual leave until the 2nd week of January The caretaker/janitor comes in and switches the servers on in the morning and switches them off again at night! (Which is why you get the errors when trying to download the install program)
Put a problem message on the Sony Support site and just received an automated reply thanks for nothing Sony!
I am considered reasonably proficient on I.T. I am the webmaster for 14 websites using php, asp, and the like, belonging to fairly big companies and produce high end photographic and video work, using PC's and Mac's; in a word, I am not a novice!
So, maybe someone can prove me wrong but, I am very skeptical!
This is now my 3rd day of trying to get the Sony Pocket EReader PRS-300 to work.
Here are the problems:
1. The online install program does not work. Having waited an hour the program then crashes. (It reports that it will take 8-10 to hours to download)
2. Went on to the Waterstone's site and downloaded a cheapo book to see if that would work; it downloaded it and it took my money.
3. Went on to: http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ and downloaded the program separately and then installed it. I've now got a copy of the reader Library installed on my PC and it appears in my Purchased Folder and in the Library Folder and the Books Folder.
4. Trying to move the book I purchased from the Library and the Purchased Folder to the Reader, I get an error message saying that I cannot do that because I am not authorized to transfer to the Reader because it is presumably registered to someone else!
5. Saw something about "Synchronizing the folders" Tried that; BIG MISTAKE!
6. Now, if I try to access the Library it states another error message in that "The computer is not authorized to preview this eBook.

I think Waterstone's is open tomorrow; so back it goes for a refund!

Unless, by some miracle, someone on this site knows what is going wrong.

I await your replies with intrepidation!

Funseeker
Funseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funseeker View Post
PRS-300 Install Problems
Looking through your various posts, it would appear that no-one can assist with the problems that thousands of people are having trying to get their PRS-300 Pocket E-Readers to work.
Sony cannot help; all knowledgeable staff are on annual leave until the 2nd week of January The caretaker/janitor comes in and switches the servers on in the morning and switches them off again at night! (Which is why you get the errors when trying to download the install program)
Put a problem message on the Sony Support site and just received an automated reply thanks for nothing Sony!
I am considered reasonably proficient on I.T. I am the webmaster for 14 websites using php, asp, and the like, belonging to fairly big companies and produce high end photographic and video work, using PC's and Mac's; in a word, I am not a novice!
So, maybe someone can prove me wrong but, I am very skeptical!
This is now my 3rd day of trying to get the Sony Pocket EReader PRS-300 to work.
Here are the problems:
1. The online install program does not work. Having waited an hour the program then crashes. (It reports that it will take 8-10 to hours to download)
2. Went on to the Waterstone's site and downloaded a cheapo book to see if that would work; it downloaded it and it took my money.
3. Went on to: http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ and downloaded the program separately and then installed it. I've now got a copy of the reader Library installed on my PC and it appears in my Purchased Folder and in the Library Folder and the Books Folder.
4. Trying to move the book I purchased from the Library and the Purchased Folder to the Reader, I get an error message saying that I cannot do that because I am not authorized to transfer to the Reader because it is presumably registered to someone else!
5. Saw something about "Synchronizing the folders" Tried that; BIG MISTAKE!
6. Now, if I try to access the Library it states another error message in that "The computer is not authorized to preview this eBook.

I think Waterstone's is open tomorrow; so back it goes for a refund!

Unless, by some miracle, someone on this site knows what is going wrong.

I await your replies with intrepidation!

Funseeker
Within Sony's library software: Did you register your reader in your account settings? It has to be listed there.
If you're only using ePUB files, alternatively you can use Adobe Digital Editions.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Don't return it yet. The download took forever because of the mass amount of people downloading yesterday.

As for the book, it's not registered to someone else. I know the process in the UK is different, but what that code amounts to is that you bought a "secure" ePub, and you need to set you Reader up so that it can read them. In the US, after you sign up for a Sony account, after a half hour or so Sony will create a Adobe user ID for you that is the same as your Sony account, and then you are good to go. I believe it is different in the UK, and you can either search the forum or wait for a UK user to chime in. I believe you will need to download Adobe Digital Editions, which is free, and hook your Reader up to that program to authorize it.

Please don't return it yet But I can say, don't ever synch. That feature has never worked well (I don't speak from experience, I've never tried it).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Don't return it yet. The download took forever because of the mass amount of people downloading yesterday.

As for the book, it's not registered to someone else. I know the process in the UK is different, but what that code amounts to is that you bought a "secure" ePub, and you need to set you Reader up so that it can read them. In the US, after you sign up for a Sony account, after a half hour or so Sony will create a Adobe user ID for you that is the same as your Sony account, and then you are good to go. I believe it is different in the UK, and you can either search the forum or wait for a UK user to chime in. I believe you will need to download Adobe Digital Editions, which is free, and hook your Reader up to that program to authorize it.
That's right - you don't register with Sony at all in the UK. Download ADE. Create an Adobe ID, and authorise your PC. Connect the Reader, and ADE should pop up a window saying "A mobile device has been detected - would you like to authorise it?". Say "Yes". You can then copy the book to the Reader and it should be fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's right - you don't register with Sony at all in the UK. Download ADE. Create an Adobe ID, and authorise your PC. Connect the Reader, and ADE should pop up a window saying "A mobile device has been detected - would you like to authorise it?". Say "Yes". You can then copy the book to the Reader and it should be fine.
Thanks for chiming in Harry
Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Funseeker

PRS-300 Problems

Thanks for that. I have already downloaded and set up an Adobe DE account and it shows the book I purchased. (In fact it shows 3 copies despite only purchasing one copy!) However, when I try to click and drag it to the Reader (PRS-300) it states: "No permission to copy document here."

Double-clicking the name of the book in ADE displays the message: "Document is licensed for a different user account."

In the Reader Library, when I click and drag the book to the Reader I get the error message: "This eBook cannot be transferred because there is no licence to view this on this device or it is authorized to another user"

And you say "Don't ever Sync"; too late! That's when the problems arose how do I un-sync?

Because I downloaded the Reader Library software elsewhere, everytime I connect the eBook, the Reader Library opens, not ADE. However, I am still being asking to download it. And despite selecting take no action in the menu box.

Another problem is that the Reader also keeps displaying the link for me to register the eBook with Sonywhen I already have done so!

Again, any fragments of help will be most gratefully received Meanwhile I just learned that there is a Sony Centre where I live; stand by for some fireworks tomorrow!

Funseeker
Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for that. I have already downloaded and set up an Adobe DE account and it shows the book I purchased. (In fact it shows 3 copies despite only purchasing one copy!) However, when I try to click and drag it to the Reader (PRS-300) it states: "No permission to copy document here."

Double-clicking the name of the book in ADE displays the message: "Document is licensed for a different user account."

In the Reader Library, when I click and drag the book to the Reader I get the error message: "This eBook cannot be transferred because there is no licence to view this on this device or it is authorized to another user"

And you say "Don't ever Sync"; too late! That's when the problems arose how do I un-sync?

Because I downloaded the Reader Library software elsewhere, everytime I connect the eBook, the Reader Library opens, not ADE. However, I am still being asking to download it. And despite selecting take no action in the menu box.

Another problem is that the Reader also keeps displaying the link for me to register the eBook with Sonywhen I already have done so!

Again, any fragments of help will be most gratefully received Meanwhile I just learned that there is a Sony Centre where I live; stand by for some fireworks tomorrow!

Funseeker
Did you authorize your Reader one ADE like Harry described? Until you do that it won't let you transfer.

When you connect your Reader, the library will automatically open. There's a way to shut it off by going into your start up programs, but I don't know much about it. What is it asking you to download, Adobe Digital editions or the Library?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Funseeker

Yes, clicking on Authorize Computer displays that the computer has been authorized to me and show my e-mail address.

When connecting the eBook it is asking me if I would like to install the eBook library using the program provided by the device.

Are you saying to ditch the eBook Library and just use ADE?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, clicking on Authorize Computer displays that the computer has been authorized to me and show my e-mail address.

When connecting the eBook it is asking me if I would like to install the eBook library using the program provided by the device.

Are you saying to ditch the eBook Library and just use ADE?
I think you might as well, at least to put books on your device. I remember someone else having the same issue and I don't remember how they resolved it (if they did).
Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
First off, I don't think thousands of people are having problems. I think it's mostly those who don't follow directions well and it's compounded by overload on the Sony Servers.

Follow the advice you've been given above and you'll be fine.

oh, wait...

When you initially downloaded the book from Waterstones, how did you do it if you didn't have either Sony Library or ADE installed?

Oh, one other question. Is this a new Sony or used? It may have been registered already, from one of the messages you say you are getting.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-27-2009 at 05:36 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

When you initially downloaded the book from Waterstones, how did you do it if you didn't have either Sony Library or ADE installed?
That's what I'm curious about too. I don't buy epub books too often from sites other than Sony, but don't they usually check to see if you have ADE installed and that that the software is authorized before you can complete the purchase?

I think the main thing right now is to make sure Adobe Digital Editions is installed and setup an account with ADE to authorize your computer.(Seems like this is already been taken care of) Then plug in your reader and make sure that your Reader is authorized with the ADE software.

If it works, just make sure you purchase books using a computer with ADE authorized to that same account if you are purchasing ePub books with Adobe Adept DRM. (could be wrong on this, but I believe that's how it works)

I think DRM is just such a headache. All this authorization/account hassle.

Last edited by MerLock; 12-28-2009 at 02:59 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
That's what I'm curious about too. I don't buy epub books too often from sites other than Sony, but don't they usually check to see if you have ADE installed and that that the software is authorized before you can complete the purchase?

I think the main thing right now is to make sure Adobe Digital Editions is installed and setup an account with ADE to authorize your computer.(Seems like this is already been taken care of) Then plug in your reader and make sure that your Reader is authorized with the ADE software.

If it works, just make sure you purchase books using a computer with ADE authorized to that same account if you are purchasing ePub books with Adobe Adept DRM. (could be wrong on this, but I believe that's how it works)

I think DRM is just such a headache. All this authorization/account hassle.
Yes it should ask what app you want to handle it or otherwise if you just "save" it it's a .acsm link, not the actual book.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
sandersonm
sandersonm began at the beginning.

Device: non
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Within Sony's library software: Did you register your reader in your account settings? It has to be listed there.
If you're only using ePUB files, alternatively you can use Adobe Digital Editions.

omg! an inordinate amount of time spent trying to get PRS-300 working...so fed up! Initially usual problems downloading reader library- hours on end of attempts. Finally resolved this by going directly through sony website. Now cannot authorise computer- keeps failing with error message -472 .... helllp! have registered, opened adobe account etc etc. Maybe joining you in waterstones queue
sandersonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Sine Nomine
sine nomine
Sine Nomine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3; iPod Touch
I've wrestled with the same problem since Christmas Day. Neither Reader Library or ADE will allow me to add my DRM purchases, quoting the error message you've described. I just haven't been able to find a work-around solution so my PRS-600 will go back to WH Smith tomorrow. As a Mac user I will wait to see what Apple has to offer in 2010.
The Sony website is appallingly slow, quite then worst I have encountered in 14 years of internet use, I will not buy Sony products again.
Sine Nomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
dreamylildreams
dreamylildreams began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
OKay Sony/Adobe really need to sort their act out here as my poor PC literate but non techie wife had no chance with this.

Got this to work by creating an Adobe ID on their website. Downloading ADE and authorising the computer and the reader with that and then it let me download a book that had been bought from W H Smith - the same action came up with a -471 error in the reader software.

I then imported the file into the Sony reader management software and reassociated epub file format with the reader software (by agreeing to this when the pop up came up).

After this by double clicking the 2kb download file that downloads when you buy a book the book downloaded into the reader software and we were away.

Sony have a lot of work to do to make this more user friendly - they could start by pointing out you need ADE to get epub files to work!!!
dreamylildreams is offline   Reply With Quote