Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
For classics like Pearl S. Buck's books?

Hi! I've been trying to decide on which device would work best for me and have poured over the wealth of information this wonderful site provides.

I have narrowed things down from a cost, performance, etc. standpoint, but now I want to make sure I buy something that can easily download the type of books I prefer to read.

While I do read bestsellers such as he Twighlight series and Michael J. Fox's new book I mostly read Asian-inspired novels such as Amy Tan (read them all), LOVE Pearl S. Buck, Lisa See, Anchee Min, etc. (and always seeking more) as well as Steinbeck and others. I also love biographies, memoirs, and anything well-written.

I've looked on the Amazon Kindle book lists for Pearl S. Buck and found none. Maybe I should cross the Kindles (gosh, that sounds cute!) off my list of possibilities and go for one of the Sonys (505 or 700)??

Does anyone have experience with these types of books?

Cheers & thanks!

BTW, how do you attach a signature (or current book read) to your posts?
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Click on "User CP" at the left top, then "Edit Signature".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Sony doesn't have Pearl S. Buck's books either. Likely they are not available in ebook at all. If you want to check Sony's selection, go to http://ebookstore.sony.com and take a look around.

I love my Sony
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
It has been my experience that current and backlist books from the major publishers have the same availability at Amazon and Sony -- also Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, and the other online e-Book stores. Amazon has more of the self-published stuff because they actively recruited the authors to use their publishing software and interface.

I suspect that our library here at MobileRead contains many books that you would enjoy, particularly since you say that you enjoy "anything well-written". I took a quick look into the library looking for books set in Asia, but all that popped out at me were adventure books set in the South Seas.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Click on "User CP" at the left top, then "Edit Signature".
Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't seem avaialble to me, even under the sub-categories (my husband even double checked for me in the case I was having a blonde moment) - maybe I'm not at a level where this is available? When I click on "User CP" this is what appears?

Your Control Panel
Your Profile
Edit Your Details
Customize Profile
Profile Privacy
Networking
Contacts & Friends
Social Groups
Pictures & Albums
Settings & Options
Edit Avatar
Edit Email & Password
Edit Options
Edit Ignore List
Private Messages
Folders
Inbox
Sent Items

List Messages
Send New Message
Track Messages
Edit Folders
Subscribed Threads
Folders
Subscriptions

List Subscriptions
Edit Folders
Miscellaneous
Event Reminders
Attachments
Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Sony doesn't have Pearl S. Buck's books either. Likely they are not available in ebook at all. If you want to check Sony's selection, go to http://ebookstore.sony.com and take a look around.
I love my Sony
Thanks Lilac - I checked out the Sony store and found tons...now just to get a device and get them on it!!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
It has been my experience that current and backlist books from the major publishers have the same availability at Amazon and Sony -- also Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, and the other online e-Book stores. Amazon has more of the self-published stuff because they actively recruited the authors to use their publishing software and interface.

I suspect that our library here at MobileRead contains many books that you would enjoy, particularly since you say that you enjoy "anything well-written". I took a quick look into the library looking for books set in Asia, but all that popped out at me were adventure books set in the South Seas.
Cheers, Elsi! I appreciate it!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't seem avaialble to me, even under the sub-categories (my husband even double checked for me in the case I was having a blonde moment) - maybe I'm not at a level where this is available? When I click on "User CP" this is what appears?

Your Control Panel
Your Profile
Edit Your Details
Customize Profile
Profile Privacy
Networking
Contacts & Friends
Social Groups
Pictures & Albums
Settings & Options
Edit Avatar
Edit Email & Password
Edit Options
Edit Ignore List
Private Messages
Folders
Inbox
Sent Items

List Messages
Send New Message
Track Messages
Edit Folders
Subscribed Threads
Folders
Subscriptions

List Subscriptions
Edit Folders
Miscellaneous
Event Reminders
Attachments
That is weird, it should be below edit avatar.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
That is weird, it should be below edit avatar.
Maybe this is Win 7's doing? (Gotta blame Microsoft whenever possible, right?)
Old 05-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe this is Win 7's doing? (Gotta blame Microsoft whenever possible, right?)
Ha!

It might actually have something to do with your post count, possibly? Maybe a mod would know.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Ha!

It might actually have something to do with your post count, possibly? Maybe a mod would know.
That's what I originally thought. How many senseless posts will I need to make?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Lots and lots
Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
F1Wild
Addict

OK. here's to a stupendous start!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
F1Wild

Have you tried this.......

Under "setting and options" click on "edit options"

scroll down to where it says "Thread display options"

Under 'visible post elements', are the "show signatures" and "avatar" boxes checked?

this is the only thing I can think of......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
actually, we did disable signatures for new members because we were getting a lot of signature spammers. but, i thought the cutoff point was 10 posts... check again (i see you've got 30 posts now, so in theory it should be there) and if not, let me know and i'll mention it to alex.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote