Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
colors of Pocket Pro and contrast

I like the idea that the Pocket Pro comes in different colors. I saw the black one in the store yesterday, and it looked pretty nice, too! I thought I would order a purple Pocket Pro online, but I've got to thinking about the contrast on the screen... does the contrast of the text stand out better on a black model than it would on a colored model? From looking at the pictures, the black model looks a bit easier to see text, but I don't know if that is just the contrast in the pictures, or if a purple model would be just as easy to read as black. Hopefully my question makes sense. I guess I'm asking which is easier on your eyes, or does it make any difference?

Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The screens are the same.
Anything you see in pictures are optical Delusions

I prefer darker edges, but Dead tree books have light edges.
YMMV
Maybe Robert has enough case parts laying around that we could build a PEz "Rainbow" special
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

*l* Thanks, theducks. Part of the problem is, if I want black, I just go into the store on the day I'm ready to purchase and bring it home that day. If I want purple I have to special order and wait however long that takes to bring it home. So I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason the black might be better than purple. And in the pictures I saw, there just seemed more contrast on the screen with the black than with the other colors. But it could just be my eyes playing tricks on me... And I think since I'll have to wait until February or March to get it anyway, an extra week won't make much difference... *l*

And yes, a Rainbow special would be cool! Although that might get a bit distracting when trying to read... *lol*

Oh, and I just got that... optical delusions... yes, that would describe me pretty well. *lol*
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
erosco
Enthusiast
erosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I think you'd need to speak to a colour/paint expert to work out whether there is a difference or it's an optical illusion (perception). As they have the same screen; one would suspect it is only an optical illusion.

Cheers
Ross
erosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
It is not an optical illusion. Black is the absence of reflected light. All wavelengths of light are absorbed. Any other colour and light is reflected back at your eyes. This has to register and cause a distraction however small.
In reality I doubt it makes a difference.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have black readers and white readers. The colour of the surround doesn't make the slightest difference to the appearance of the screen, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
I have a black reader, and my wife has a red one. Just like Harry, I can't tell a difference.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
We obviously need a Mark Rothko model.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Ok, thanks for the input, everyone! Maybe I'll go ahead and order the purple. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Did not see any difference at CES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Ok, thanks for the input, everyone! Maybe I'll go ahead and order the purple. Thanks!
Dear Davimee:

At CES we had a clear glass case where we displayed all six colors with the same thing on the screen. They were side by side. None of the attendees or myself could see any difference in text resolution at all.

Also, do not make a mistake. I think if you really want a Metallic Purple (a beautiful color) and buy a Black... you may always be kicking yourself. I recommend you get what in your heart you want.

Yes, Car Toys presently does special order the Metallic Purple. We are trying to get them to carry all six colors and they have purchased a sample of each other color (they carry black, white, and a few blue now) and are assessing the idea. I think most retailers are VERY conservative at first. Colors do not initially impress them. I had to really push hard for them to get a few blue.

Eventually, I pray they will see the colors are very much wanted!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Thank you, Robertb! I think I will go ahead and order the purple, even though it will take a little longer. Although it would be wonderful if by the time I order they decide to sell the purple in the store! Before I went into Car Toys I figured I would just order online through Astak, but I was so impressed with their customer service that I decided I'll go ahead and purchase through them. That was the first time I had ever been into one of their stores, and I thought they would be pushy like other electronics stores I've been in, but I was pleasantly surprised! When I saw that the floor model wasn't working (I'm guessing the battery was dead, or maybe it was in screen lock - is that what it's called?), the manager went into the back and got a new model out of the box so I could play around with it and see how it worked. Waiting to order is driving me crazy, now that I know what I want! *l* But I know I need to be sensible and wait until I can actually pay for it.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Sensibility is good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Thank you, Robertb! I think I will go ahead and order the purple, even though it will take a little longer. Although it would be wonderful if by the time I order they decide to sell the purple in the store! Before I went into Car Toys I figured I would just order online through Astak, but I was so impressed with their customer service that I decided I'll go ahead and purchase through them. That was the first time I had ever been into one of their stores, and I thought they would be pushy like other electronics stores I've been in, but I was pleasantly surprised! When I saw that the floor model wasn't working (I'm guessing the battery was dead, or maybe it was in screen lock - is that what it's called?), the manager went into the back and got a new model out of the box so I could play around with it and see how it worked. Waiting to order is driving me crazy, now that I know what I want! *l* But I know I need to be sensible and wait until I can actually pay for it.
Dear Davimee:

You are fast becoming one of the nicest posters!! I also cannot wait until you get that Pocket PRO in Metallic Purple!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

I'll be sure to post and let you know when I get it, and what I think of it!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
In my personal opinion, while perhaps semi-boring, I think a case colour that is close to the colour of the screen background itself is best. It is least distracting, and doesn't interfere with perception by the whole light-dark optical illusion thing.. and is closer to paper. When you have a paper book, there is a margin of paper around the text.. so this would be more of the same by having a bezel that is close in colour.

For my personal comfort I find "dark" bezels to be too jarring with the contrast. To illustrate, I have a white Macbook. I love that it has a white bezel. Less contrast shift between the bezel and the screen. I really really like that it's all matte white. It lets me look at the screen without being distracted by lights and chrome and polished plastic. Likewise the same goes for monitors with silver bezels rather than black bezels. Ebook readers would be no different.

So I think white is probably the best PP colour to choose from. Best would be "smoke grey" or "gunmetal grey" or something like that.

Of course, this is not a hard and fast rule. Some people like mid-tone colours because they are more "fun". Witness the original Nintendo GameBoy Advance as an example. It came in purple.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Sunspark, that all makes sense. And when you mention your laptop, that got me to thinking, too. Mine is black and shiny around the screen, but I don't find it distracting at all. I don't even notice it any more. I guess it would be the same with an ebook reader... I would soon get used to it, and not notice the purple casing.