Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
The question I have is why they ever made a CDMA model in the first place. Going with AT&T or T-Mobile would have made so much more sense. They must have known they were going to have to make a GSM model if they were ever to really have a hope of going international.
They got the deal they wanted from Sprint, would be my guess.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, being a loyal Sony owner, with the cut in the price of the K2 it is now about $150 cheaper than the nearest local competitor the ECOreader at AU$449...
Is that including shipping, tax and a power converter?
Also, are you figuring in the book price premium?
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I wish my K2 and DX had come with AT&T's service. Sprint's coverage is terrible around these parts.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Or for three years down the line, when Amazon gets tired of paying for wifi for legacy customers. How long until Amazon decides it's too expensive to maintain two wireless plans, and older customers will need to upgrade to a new model to maintain the features they purchased?
Considering they are still selling the DX (which is Sprint) this seems unlikely, unless Amazon is feeling suicidal.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #20
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Is that including shipping, tax and a power converter?
Also, are you figuring in the book price premium?
There is no tax to be paid on bringing the Kindle into Australia, also the power supply comes with the kindle, so no issues there. From the prices I have seen in the kindle store as compared with BOB and Fictionwise, they are frequently (but not always cheaper). Cost of bringing a Kindle in at the moment with the high exchange rate is around $330.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #21
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I often hear people complaining about AT&T, mostly on the west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I wish my K2 and DX had come with AT&T's service. Sprint's coverage is terrible around these parts.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
There is no tax to be paid on bringing the Kindle into Australia, also the power supply comes with the kindle, so no issues there. From the prices I have seen in the kindle store as compared with BOB and Fictionwise, they are frequently (but not always cheaper). Cost of bringing a Kindle in at the moment with the high exchange rate is around $330.
Fair enough on no tax. But I thought Australia used 240V? Or are you only going to use USB charging?

And when you browsed the Kindle store, did you have the correct location setting on?

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 10-25-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Fair enough on no tax. But I thought Australia used 240V? Or are you only going to use USB charging?
The only way to charge the Kindle is via USB, either via a PC or using a wall charger. The Amazon charger is just a bog-standard USB wall charger. Any other one will do just as well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
DawnFalcon
Banned

Fair enough then. Shame in many ways they're bothering to provide one then (or at least providing an option not to ship one) - for a lot of international people it'll be a waste.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looking at the Amazon charger, it probably costs about 50p to make. I suspect it's more trouble than it's worth to "customise" the Kindle packages for separate countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Fair enough then. Shame in many ways they're bothering to provide one then (or at least providing an option not to ship one) - for a lot of international people it'll be a waste.
Why a "shame in many ways" since you can still use it (or part of it). If they didn't there would be a lot of folks upset about just like they were when Amazon stopped providing covers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I often hear people complaining about AT&T, mostly on the west coast
Yeah, I've been cutting my AT&T cord this month (cell phone gone, broadband wireless card gone in 4 months when contract is up). There have been places where I could not get an AT&T signal but my Kindle's Sprint connection worked.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #28
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Why a "shame in many ways" since you can still use it (or part of it). If they didn't there would be a lot of folks upset about just like they were when Amazon stopped providing covers.
It adds to the weight (and shipping cost) of the package and is a waste of materials if you don't need it.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
It adds to the weight (and shipping cost) of the package and is a waste of materials if you don't need it.
I just weighed the charger on my postage scale and it barely weighs 2 oz.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #30
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I guess this is part of their pre-christmas sales marketing plan. It's a pretty decent price for the device but don't international users still have restrictions on what books they can buy?

Kind of limits the usefulness of the device for international people.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote