Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #76
papa4ahe
papa4ahe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Renaming mobidedrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you just entered the script name (including the ".py" part) at the command prompt and hit enter, you would get instructions on how to write the command.
I did just that and still get not recognized as an internal or external commnd.
I have renamed in explorer and from command line from "MobiDeDrm.py 0.02.txt to MobiDeDRM02.py and it shows up that way in explorer but not in the directory when I so dir *.py. So I must be doing something wrong.
papa4ahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #77
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa4ahe View Post
I have renamed in explorer and from command line from "MobiDeDrm.py 0.02.txt to MobiDeDRM02.py and it shows up that way in explorer but not in the directory when I so dir *.py. So I must be doing something wrong.
Is it located in the Scripts folder? Is the Scripts folder in your path? Otherwise, maybe the script is bad.

Python25>Tools>Scripts
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #78
papa4ahe

Mobededrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Is it located in the Scripts folder? Is the Scripts folder in your path? Otherwise, maybe the script is bad.

Python25>Tools>Scripts
Yes, its in the correct path. I will try to find another download of mobededrm and try it. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #79
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
If you don't see it with dir *.py then you likely have something wrong. Try dir Mobi* and see what you get. If there are extra extensions then rename using the ren command on the command line to remove them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #80
papa4ahe

New script, same problem

Quote:
Yes, its in the correct path. I will try to find another download of mobededrm and try it. Thanks for all the help.
Ok, so I tried a different script from another download. When I use dir *.py on the command line, it says file not found. But I do see it explorer in the Scrips file in the python26 path. I took the file "MobiDeDRM.py 0.02.txt and changed it to MobiDeDRM.py by eliminating all the other parts. Also, I have tried MobiDeDRM02.py without success. Not sure what to do now. Seems like I have checked and rechecked everything ten times. When I try to run it, it says not recognized as an internal or external file. Any ideas where to go from here. I did clit easily so I figured I could do this one. Oh my!!
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #81
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok, so I tried a different script from another download. When I use dir *.py on the command line, it says file not found. But I do see it explorer in the Scrips file in the python26 path. I took the file "MobiDeDRM.py 0.02.txt and changed it to MobiDeDRM.py by eliminating all the other parts. Also, I have tried MobiDeDRM02.py without success. Not sure what to do now. Seems like I have checked and rechecked everything ten times. When I try to run it, it says not recognized as an internal or external file. Any ideas where to go from here. I did clit easily so I figured I could do this one. Oh my!!
Well Clit.exe was an executable while a .py is not really a command but depends on the installation of python to work. What is supposed to happen is typing or clicking MobiDeDRM.py should cause python to start and execute the script for you. This depends on an association between python and the extension .py. This is like .doc will cause word to open.

The second solution is to try to get python working first. Go to your installation of Python and look for the .exe startup program and typing it in. Likely python.exe. Does this work? If so you could copy the mobidedrm.py script to the same folder and then type: python mobidedrm.py and see if this does anything. Report your findings.

Dale
Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #82
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I'm still concerned that the Scripts folder not be in your path. Did you following one of these directions depending on your OS from the Visual Guide.

Vista

Quote:
Step 4) Add the location of the Python directories to your PATH variable, This is important so that your system finds the Python scripts.

In Windows Vista, right-click on "My Computer", then select “Properties” from the menu.

From the "Tasks" menu on the left side, click on the “Advanced system settings" link. When the "System Properties" window opens, go the bottom and click on ‘Environmental Variables”

Step 5) In the System Variables window scroll down until you find and highlight "PATH". Click on "Edit".

Step 6) Add two paths, ;c:\Python26 and ;c:\Python26\Tools\Scripts. Please note that each path starts with a semi-colon ";" Be sure your typing is correct.
XP

Quote:
Step 4) Add the location of the Python directories to your PATH variable, This is important so that your system finds the Python scripts.

In Windows XP, right-click on "My Computer", then select "Properties" from the menu.

When the "System Properties" window opens click on the tab marked "Advanced"

Step 5) Go to the bottom and click on 'Environmental Variables"

Step 6) In the System Variables window scroll down until you find and highlight "PATH". Click on "Edit".

Step 7) Add two paths, ;c:\Python26 and ;c:\Python26\Tools\Scripts. Please note that each path starts with a semi-colon ";" Be sure your typing is correct.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #83
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think the actual filename is probably MobiDeDRM.py.txt and you have hidden known filename extensions, see my post #71. One way to check is to right click on the file and see what is in the "open with" tab. One of the options should be python and you may also see edit with phthonwin. If you view "details" in the file window (last icon) these should show up as "Python File".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #84
papa4ahe

Mobidedrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I think the actual filename is probably MobiDeDRM.py.txt and you have hidden known filename extensions, see my post #71. One way to check is to right click on the file and see what is in the "open with" tab. One of the options should be python and you may also see edit with phthonwin. If you view "details" in the file window (last icon) these should show up as "Python File".
Wow, I think it works. Going to folders options and changing hidden file ext. made all the difference. Once I could see the txt ext and remove it, it worked. Not sure why it wouldn't work in explorer but so be it. Now to do a book. Once I dedrm the book, where will I find it on the computer. Will it be in the mobipocket reader file? Thanks again for all your help. You all make it possible for us non-coder types to function.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #85
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Once I dedrm the book, where will I find it on the computer. Will it be in the mobipocket reader file?
If you do something like:
Code:
MobiDeDRM.py nameofbook.prc nameofbook.mobi PID
The DRM-free .mobi version will be in the same directory as the .prc (i.e. the current directory). If the filenames have spaces in them, include the filenames in quotes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
you have hidden known filename extensions
DOH! I didn't think of that.... because they first thing I do on any computer I setup/use I disable hide extensions. I think that is a dumb default.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #87
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
DOH! I didn't think of that.... because they first thing I do on any computer I setup/use I disable hide extensions. I think that is a dumb default.

BOb
I do the same thing on my personal machine, but can appreciate the reason for doing so.

If extensions are visible, it can often confuse people, not to mention the fact that it makes it very easy to change the extension (Which I often do) but which can mess up a novice user's computer quiet a bit.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #88
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I do the same thing on my personal machine, but can appreciate the reason for doing so.

If extensions are visible, it can often confuse people, not to mention the fact that it makes it very easy to change the extension (Which I often do) but which can mess up a novice user's computer quiet a bit.
It also allows virus' to hide the fact that they are executable. There is no really good reason in my opinion to hide extension. If you change the extension there is a warning message. That should be enough. Dumbing down the user view only opens the user up to being taken advantage of.

Dale
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #89
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It also allows virus' to hide the fact that they are executable. There is no really good reason in my opinion to hide extension. If you change the extension there is a warning message. That should be enough. Dumbing down the user view only opens the user up to being taken advantage of.

Dale
True, But I have seen some users manage to mess up spectacularly with extension, file associations and hidden system files. That's usually ended up causing more problems the just leaving them hidden.

So its usually the lesser of the two evils. While its a risk, you have to balance the two and based on the user and how tech savy and active they are.

My price example are my elder female relatives (Mom, aunt, etc). As they only go online to read a few sites, and hardly ever download any files directly, and mainly get mails from close relatives , its easier to hide everything, and just ensure that AV is kept updated, and runs scans regularly, and have a way to remotely fix problems.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #90
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
My price example are my elder female relatives (Mom, aunt, etc). As they only go online to read a few sites, and hardly ever download any files directly, and mainly get mails from close relatives , its easier to hide everything, and just ensure that AV is kept updated, and runs scans regularly, and have a way to remotely fix problems.

Frankly I have come to the conclusion that people that basically use a PC for Web/Mail are much better off with Mac/Linux than Windows. They are much safer and you can use a much less powerful (cheaper) PC and get better performance to boot.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote