Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #46
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
But. but, but, ..., but only 16GB? I have 32GB on my Droid 1 and it is removable.

What do you have loaded on the chromebook?

Just remember, I am trying to simulate a chromebook on my Windows desktop to get an idea if I want one. I don't yet have a real vision of what I am getting into.

And yeah, I know they give you 5GB free in the cloud, but together that is only 21GB.
With a Chromebook, they do give you 100GB free cloud storage for 2 years. You don't really load apps on it, it's cloud based, the "apps" are on the web. There is an SDRAM slot.

I'm using my Chromebook now, it meets my needs for accessing the web, and Google Docs seems to be adequate. I have a tablet (Kindle Fire) and a desktop PC for when they are appropriate.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #47
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
With a Chromebook, they do give you 100GB free cloud storage for 2 years. You don't really load apps on it, it's cloud based, the "apps" are on the web. There is an SDRAM slot.

I'm using my Chromebook now, it meets my needs for accessing the web, and Google Docs seems to be adequate. I have a tablet (Kindle Fire) and a desktop PC for when they are appropriate.
Ok, I need to be clearer.

If you are "offline" out of reach of wifi and the cloud what can you do?
Do you need programs stored on your machine to do it?
Do you need data on your machine?

That is why I was interested in the C7. It has a 320GB hard disk. That would be sufficient.

So what do you do "out of range?"

Added.
And if you have the 3G connection, what counts on your bandwidth? Is it just downloads or uploads or is the connecting to your apps?

Last edited by SeaKing; 11-24-2012 at 11:18 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Of course printers are male. Slow to get started, cranky in cold damp weather, cheap to buy and costly in consumables........
And they always run out of ink when we need it the most.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #49
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Can't you just jiggle the canister a bit?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #50
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Maybe you are just not using the right men ... eh printers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #51
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Can't you just jiggle the canister a bit?
I've seen that they sell refilling kits, seems they involve needles.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #52
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Ok, I need to be clearer.

If you are "offline" out of reach of wifi and the cloud what can you do?
Do you need programs stored on your machine to do it?
Do you need data on your machine?

That is why I was interested in the C7. It has a 320GB hard disk. That would be sufficient.

So what do you do "out of range?"

Added.
And if you have the 3G connection, what counts on your bandwidth? Is it just downloads or uploads or is the connecting to your apps?
What do you need it to do? It's a computer based around using the web. You can use Google Docs in offline mode. The computer is less functional when it isn't connected to the internet.

It meets my needs, most of what I do on the computer is web content and word processing.

I have no idea about the 3G, I only have the wifi version. I assume that all the data that transfers counts for the bandwidth.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #53
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
For the OP: I have a Lenovo Thinkpad L420. It's been fine (touch wood), but the little trackpad button really annoys me. I'm a fast typist and often catch my finger on the thing! Apart from that little red nub, the laptop has been unproblematic. I went for a Lenovo product because I wanted a matte screen; a "business" laptop, not a high-speed gaming one.

It's predecessor was a solidly built HP, nothing like the HP's I saw when shopping a year ago. They were flimsy, glossy, media and gaming laptops. One of my cats, who's rather large, has a tendency to jump on my laptop, while it's closed, so I went round PC World etc prodding the lids - they all buckled. Luckily, the Lenovo has a solid lid which Fred can jump on without doing too much damage
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Yeah, it has been like that for a while. Granted, about 70% of the price difference (before discounts) is for the operating system. Like the case, power supply, and optical drive, it can be carried forward as you upgrade. RAM and hard drives are sometimes an issue too: I've found that systems vendors tend to charge a lot to upgrade the RAM and hard drive. Often the RAM slots are filled, meaning that you have to replace it if you're doing the upgrade yourself. Many systems don't even have the space to add a secondary hard drive, meaning that you have to replace it if you're doing the upgrade yourself. The list can go on, depending upon your requirements.
That's why I was so delighted with the Lenovo. Standard case, standard RAM, standard disks, standard power supply, bays for additional disks. Easily upgradable to i7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Anyhow, at least the options are out there so people can buy what they want and in the form they want: laptops, prebuilt desktops, custom built systems, and home built.
It is amazing. And all are so inexpensive that it's not unreasonable for one person to have a desktop, laptop, tablet, and a smart phone. That's a lot of computer. Very few people share a common computer these days. That might be the most wonderful thing of all.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #55
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Well, I ended up with the Lenovo.

It fit my needs and was in stock. Which proved an issue at some retailers. (Oh, this is a great machine. Great deal. We're out of stock. Rinse. Repeat.)

So far the biggest growing pain is to Windows 8. Reserving judgement there, but so far it's a bit of a beast compared to XP or 7. Would probably be better if I was happy with an out of the box configuration.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congrats! Good for you! Keep us posted.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #57
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
So far the biggest growing pain is to Windows 8. Reserving judgement there, but so far it's a bit of a beast compared to XP or 7. Would probably be better if I was happy with an out of the box configuration.
Win8 is really not much different that Win7 if you do not have a touch screen. The only thing missing is the Start Menu. Think of the main screen as your start menu spilled across your desktop. If you click the Desktop tile, you will see the familiar Win7 desktop.

The main screen is a place to consume content and run apps. The Desktop is a good place to do administrative stuff.

After just a couple days, I am really starting to warm up to Win8.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #58
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I generally have desktops built specifically to order, but quite like Dell for our notebooks.

Going to break tradition when I replace our Dell netbook with a Macbook Air (13" 128Gb SSD, 8Gb RAM). The netbook, bag and charger weigh close to 3kg, whilst the Macbook Air comes in at just over 1.3kg. As we use the netbook for our travel PC, weight is very important when it comes to cabin luggage weights.
That is the model Macbook Air that I have (2012). I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I do travel a fair bit, and I usually have books to carry as well as my laptop when I go to the library to work. The light weight of the laptop makes a huge difference. I hope that you enjoy it. The OS offers many advantages to my work (linguistic research) over Windows as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #59
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post

I have been thinking about getting a Chromebook for my dad, but they don't seem to sell them here in Canada; I may just get him a tablet instead.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #60
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
So far the biggest growing pain is to Windows 8.
Do a Google search for "classic shell". It's a free program that will put the start button back and make your laptop boot to the desktop. Install that and Win8 isn't much different than Win7. I love it!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote