Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Kobo Glo first impressions

I got the Kobo Glo today and really like it. I am looking forward to reading in bed on a proper-sized screen! The only problems I had so far was that when I tried to set it up, it froze and I had to press the reset button, and there also seems to be a faint reddish tinge to the corners of the screen when you look from a certain angle while the light is on. I am guessing this is from the sensors...

The good:

- The light! I love it!
- Proper page numbers. I never got the hang of the Kindle's locations
- Love the font choices and controls. My Kindle has only one font
- I love the sleepcover, it's very elegant and works well
- It is lighter than my Kindle Touch and feels prettier and nicer
- It is way, way faster than the Kobo Touch in a noticeable way

The bad:

- I miss the home button. I will adapt, but I miss it
- Highlighting is not as smooth as on the Kindle
- No Google translate on the dictionary lookup
- Sleepcover is nice but was expensive
- I will miss being able to email stuff to my device like I could with Kindle
- I want to sync with my iPod, but I hate the Kobo iOS app

Neutral:

- Dislike the kepub thing, but I sideload anyway so it won't affect me much
- Setup was a pain, but I only had to do it once
- Dislike the way it forces you to put in a Kobo ID, but oh well

Overall, I am happy with it. It feels like a modern, elegant device. On the whole, the Kindle has a few better things and the Kobo has a few better things, so it's kind of a wash. Right now, I wanted the light and the better font controls so I was willing to give up the Google Translate
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There already is a thread floating around on the first impressions people have about the Glo ...
But still your input is interesting

I wish the developers read these threads to improve on the software and iron out the bugs.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert