Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #106
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abderrahman View Post
I flashed everything without errors
but after rebooting from diags the K4NT doesn't go back to the "Under tree" screen... in fact the power button doesn't do anything!

But, diags & fastboot both work (thru Mfg)... however, main u-boat will not work

i tried the /dev/zero, also didn't solve the problem

Battery was full before the process
I got my files from the pastebin URL by GreekMaster. so files are correct
The newer kernel (4.0.1) is completely broken - in fact, it's not a kernel image at all. I have no idea what the person who uploaded it did to the file... Anyway, it causes exactly the symptoms that you describe.

Use the 4.0.0 kernel + partition (the mediafire one), it works.

@geekmaster: you *really* should remove the kernels which are reported not to work from the list...

Last edited by ixtab; 11-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #107
abderrahman
abderrahman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
thank you =]

I actually went through all that because I used SSH a long time ago to remove ads, and I forgot what things I changed. so now I couldn't update to 4.1

I figured the best solution would be a fresh kernel... but now instead of going up, I'm stepping down two steps!

anyway... I don't know if the kernel 4.0 is the ad version or not, but I still don't feel like anything changed, still ad-less! (the 4.0 kernel solved the problem, now it's a "kindle" again )

But... I'm back to square 1. It still get U006 upon update
I removed /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ and /us/screensaver (after mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 to /mnt/base-mmc)

what am I missing? should I type a command (like unlinking /mnt/us/screensaver & /base-mmc/opt/.../screen_saver/600x800 or maybe unmounting /dev/mmcblk0p1)?
abderrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #108
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@geekmaster: you *really* should remove the kernels which are reported not to work from the list...
I had previously removed references to known bad 3.3.

4.0.1 removed from the pastebin and complete mirror. We need to wait for qlob to update "Download Mirror #2" to match the pastebin.

What other kernels in the pastebin are reported not to work?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #109
yash
yash began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4NT
Guys did any one look into my problem also? I've been waiting for a reply from any one of u.

update: my kindle is on constant charging but i notice every 2-3 hours the charging lights go off and i have to reconnect it to get it back, and then the cycle repeats what does this mean?

thanks
yash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #110
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash View Post
the screen isn't broken, i sure can tell if it was when it got frozen a week ago it had this at&t advertisement on it, after fidling with it for a week now it seems grey, black, and white lines are trying to cover this advertisement
thats all

still not very clear how to bring it back to life, wish i could try a defibrillator
Please post a photo of your kindle screen. We need to see what those "grey, black, and white lines are trying to cover this advertisement" look like, so we can make a diagnosis.
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #111
yash
yash began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Please post a photo of your kindle screen. We need to see what those "grey, black, and white lines are trying to cover this advertisement" look like, so we can make a diagnosis.

here you go

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-12-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: fixed image link
yash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #112
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
I had previously removed references to known bad 3.3.
4.0.1 removed from the pastebin and complete mirror. We need to wait for qlob to update "Download Mirror #2" to match the pastebin.
What other kernels in the pastebin are reported not to work?
I can fix it in an hour and a half or so.

EDIT: done

Last edited by qlob; 11-12-2012 at 04:20 PM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #113
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash View Post

here you go
Hard to tell. It could be software writing garbage data to the framebuffer, or it COULD be a broken screen. They often start like that, then a diagonal crack appears after awhile and slowly grows.

Try holding you kindle so that light reflects off the screen, and see if their is an slight change of background tint, that changes with angle to your eyes or to the light source. A crack can be nearly invisible, but still slightly change the surface plane of the glass substrate (often visible by the test I suggested).

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #114
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Hard to tell. It could be software writing garbage data to the framebuffer, or it COULD be a broken screen. They often start like that, then a diagonal crack appears after awhile and slowly grows.

Try holding you kindle so that light reflects off the screen, and see if their is an slight change of background tint, that changes with angle to your eyes or to the light source. A crack can be nearly invisible, but still slightly change the surface plane of the glass substrate (often visible by the test I suggested).

Good luck.
I dunno. I think I've seen (probably) just about every native (as in I didnt break it) horrific broken SOFTWARE scenario for X and non X kindles now. sync broken, only green text on black, tiny white box in corner, only black output, only grey screen, single grey line in middle of screen, partial garbled output, etc. etc. That kinda looks like a broken X... but you don't have one I believe...

I don't recognise that one if I am honest...
My guess? and it's a guess... Toast. Sorry mate.

Last edited by twobob; 11-12-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: guess
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #115
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I dunno. I think I've seen (probably) just about every native (as in I didnt break it) horrific broken SOFTWARE scenario for X and non X kindles now. sync broken, only green text on black, tiny white box in corner, only black output, only grey screen, single grey line in middle of screen, partial garbled output, etc. etc. That kinda looks like a broken X... but you don't have one I believe...

I don't recognise that one if I am honest...
My guess? and it's a guess... Toast. Sorry mate.
A way to tell would be to take a screenshot of it. If the framebuffer looks good but the screen looks bad -- broken screen. If they both look the same -- software problem... Perhaps a debricking RUNME.sh script could grab a copy of the framebuffer during restart...

How I would test it, is to temporarily connect the screen to another K4, or connect another K4 to that screen. If you are careful, you can put two units back-to-back with the covers off and bend the connector back and plug it into the other kindle PCB connector. I have done it.

EDIT: In the mean time, I eventually plan to make broken-screen kindles usable with a framebuffer proxy program (similar to VNC, but much simpler and it will work during debricking). I also want to support "key stuffing", so a damaged kindle can use the LCD and keyboard from a laptop PC. That would even make a non-damaged kindle easier to use in some cases.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #116
abderrahman

Quote:
thank you =]

I actually went through all that because I used SSH a long time ago to remove ads, and I forgot what things I changed. so now I couldn't update to 4.1

I figured the best solution would be a fresh kernel... but now instead of going up, I'm stepping down two steps!

anyway... I don't know if the kernel 4.0 is the ad version or not, but I still don't feel like anything changed, still ad-less! (the 4.0 kernel solved the problem, now it's a "kindle" again )

But... I'm back to square 1. It still get U006 upon update
I removed /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ and /us/screensaver (after mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 to /mnt/base-mmc)

what am I missing? should I type a command (like unlinking /mnt/us/screensaver & /base-mmc/opt/.../screen_saver/600x800 or maybe unmounting /dev/mmcblk0p1)?
anyone?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #117
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your description seems to be missing the restoration of the original screensavers.
The entire set of commands you should use is posted, with comments on each one.
That post is indexed in our pre-fix index.
Find it, follow it for the parts that you have not yet done.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #118
abderrahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your description seems to be missing the restoration of the original screensavers.
The entire set of commands you should use is posted, with comments on each one.
That post is indexed in our pre-fix index.
Find it, follow it for the parts that you have not yet done.
I followed them, I removed everything that's screensaver customization... but nothing

Inside /opt/amazon/.../600x800 I have a file named 600x800 (in addition to the original screen savers) maybe that's not supposed to be there?

my Kindle is ad-supported, but I removed the ads completely. That has anything to do with the problem?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #119
geekmaster

Quote:
I followed them, I removed everything that's screensaver customization... but nothing

Inside /opt/amazon/.../600x800 I have a file named 600x800 (in addition to the original screen savers) maybe that's not supposed to be there?

my Kindle is ad-supported, but I removed the ads completely. That has anything to do with the problem?
It has EVERYTHING to do with the problem. You must restore your original 800x600 screensavers folder before you are allowed to update.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #120
abderrahman

Quote:
You must restore your original 800x600 screensavers folder before you are allowed to update.
I did... but the update keeps U600'ing on me!

I removed my custom folder, and restored the original as it is

Tags
debricking