Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Any new fonts on the HD?

I've read in a few threads people use the term new fonts I was wondering if some kind soul with a HD can list the new fonts on the HD.

The original ones from the first Fire are
  • Caecilia
  • Georgia
  • Trebuchet
  • Verdana
  • Arial
  • Times New Roman
  • Courier
  • Lucida

Are there any new ones? Did they remove any? Fonts are very important to me. I use Trebuchet when reading.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
There may be more but these are the fonts offered with the book I am reading.

Georgia
Palatine
Helvetica
Lucida
Caecilia
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
There may be more but these are the fonts offered with the book I am reading.

Georgia
Palatine
Helvetica
Lucida
Caecilia
Are you telling me Trebuchet is gone? Say it isn't so!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Are you telling me Trebuchet is gone? Say it isn't so!
So far I have not seen Trebuchet,!

Next time I see captain kirk I will ask him what he did with all of them!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Blossom, my HD running FW 7.2.1 has
  • Caecilia
  • Georgia
  • Palatino
  • Baskerville
  • Helvetica
  • Lucida

Last edited by jswinden; 10-25-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Mine has
  • Caecilia
  • Georgia
  • Palatino
  • Baskerville
  • Helvetica
  • Lucida
Yea, I missed that one, it hid from me while I was making my post.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Mine has
  • Caecilia
  • Georgia
  • Palatino
  • Baskerville
  • Helvetica
  • Lucida
Not cool. Well I guess I wont be upgrading. It looks like they removed all the Sans serif fonts but Helvetica, Trebuchet was the only font that met in the middle and was bold enough for me. It reminded me of a condense version of Caecilia that comes on the eInk Kindles.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Not cool. Well I guess I wont be upgrading. It looks like they removed all the Sans serif fonts but Helvetica, Trebuchet was the only font that met in the middle and was bold enough for me. It reminded me of a condense version of Caecilia that comes on the eInk Kindles.
It looks like they eliminated several fonts that were on the original Fire. I cannot remember how fonts looked on my original Fire since I got rid of it 6 months ago. But I'm not overly impressed with how fonts look on the Fire HD. It might be because I'm used to my iPad3 with its very crisp rendering and higher resolution. I'll read tonight on the Fire HD and see how it goes. I like the size and weight compared to the iPad3 for reading, but I was already having a bit of eyestrain earlier. I'm beginning to think the font programmers for the Fire HD and PW must have been on acid as they really seem to have shanked the renderings on both.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It looks like they eliminated several fonts that were on the original Fire. I cannot remember how fonts looked on my original Fire since I got rid of it 6 months ago. But I'm not overly impressed with how fonts look on the Fire HD. It might be because I'm used to my iPad3 with its very crisp rendering and higher resolution. I'll read tonight on the Fire HD and see how it goes. I like the size and weight compared to the iPad3 for reading, but I was already having a bit of eyestrain earlier. I'm beginning to think the font programmers for the Fire HD and PW must have been on acid as they really seem to have shanked the renderings on both.
It had several Sans Serif choices that were nice and bold. Veranda was too big but very bold, Arial was another nice one but I love Trebuchet. It's small condensed but bold. It's the perfect font for reading. Now I will have to take special care of my KF1 I don't think they even sell them anymore.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
It had several Sans Serif choices that were nice and bold. Veranda was too big but very bold, Arial was another nice one but I love Trebuchet. It's small condensed but bold. It's the perfect font for reading. Now I will have to take special care of my KF1 I don't think they even sell them anymore.
I love Trebuchet too, Blossom. How odd that they got rid of it. I'm holding on to my original Kindle Fire, either way, but it's a shame to hear they got rid of some of the fonts on the new HD.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I pulled out my iPad3 to compare font rendering and saw that Amazon had upgraded the Kindle for iPad app with Caecilia. Caecilia is the best font for my tastes on either the iPad or the Fire HD. One thing that really pi$$es me off is that they have a screen brightness slider within the Kindle for iPad app but still don't have that on the new Fire HD. Not only that but the Kindle for Android app on my phone has a two-finger swipe feature that dims or brightens the screen. That doesn't work on the Fire HD either! To change brightness on the Fire HD you have to drag down the dark veil to reveal the Menu and select Brightness, estimate how much to change it because the dark veil makes it guess work, close the veil, and repeat if necessary. Fine tuning can take freaking forever! I'm not sure what dumba$$ designed that but he should be fired.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-25-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Just use Screen Dim instead. It can be used in app. I don't care for Caecilla. It's too light on the Fire.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I love Trebuchet too, Blossom. How odd that they got rid of it. I'm holding on to my original Kindle Fire, either way, but it's a shame to hear they got rid of some of the fonts on the new HD.
It changes my idea to upgrade. Now I don't know what I'm gonna do. I guess wait and see on the PW.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Just use Screen Dim instead. It can be used in app. I don't care for Caecilla. It's too light on the Fire.
Caecilia is the darkest serif font. The other serifs are terribly thin. Helvetica is the darkest font overall, but I really prefer reading using serif.

I installed Screen Dim but it takes a long time to initially get it set correctly too. The sample text shown in Screen Dim does not accurately reflect true screen brightness. So you have to keep adjusting it little by little. Once set then you can save the setting and not have to mess with it again.

Since I rarely use my Android phone for anything other than voice calls, text messaging, and groceries lists, I guess I forgot how much Android is a PITA, especially Amazon's version. But since I'll only be using the Fire HD for reading, once I have it set up it should be okay for that as long as the fonts don't cause eyestrain. I know I could modify each book to look better, but quite frankly I got tired of doing that.

EDIT: BTW, still no two-column landscape view.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-25-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Make sure you have the lastest version. Screen Dim is a pop up now. You just click it from the notification area and a little overlay window shows.
You can see the reader page as you adjust.

It takes seconds to get it where you want. You can then save it as a preset by long pressing on one of the buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	94925  

Last edited by Blossom; 10-26-2012 at 01:02 AM.