Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #151
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
The good news is that the new driver is working well, thanks. The bad news is that all the books have to be reloaded, because, on the iPad, the series

won't sort correctly. *sigh* - see our discussion above about sorting books on the bookshelf.

Thanks, Gregory.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #152
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@tlrowley: I feel your pain.

Hopefully it won't be necessary to do any more revisions to the sorting keys.

G
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #153
DevilChild_LA
DevilChild_LA began at the beginning.

Post Series Sorting...again, sigh. 7.9

Ok,

I am probably looking at the wrong thing in ITunes, but here is what I experienced after upgrading to 7.9.

1) None of the series sort information transferred over to iTunes/iPad. I checked all of the visible Sort fields in Get Info for each book. I tried the following, deleting the books from iTunes and the iPad. then resending them to the iTunes Library. I tried this with "User Series as Category" checked and unchecked.

The same behavior occurred whether connecting to the iTunes Library, of sending to the iPad device. In all scenarios, they did not sort correctly on the iPad under Categories.

Another little hiccup, under 7.9 I received a lot of failure to send to device errors. Even though the book in question did appear in iTunes afterward. This was occurring on books with and without series information. Also with the setting "User Series as Category" checked and unchecked.

I rolled my version back to 7.8 and these issues went away. I have been watching this thread, and have not seen any other users reporting these issues...so it must be me.

I also attempted to upgrade to iTunes 9.2.1 (previously 9.2.0)

So, my question would be...7.9 forward, where would the series sort information appear in iTunes.

I am about to attempt 7.10, and give that a go...but, if you have any suggestions...I would be grateful.

Last edited by DevilChild_LA; 07-23-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Adjusting the title to include the software version, corrected spelling.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #154
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try 0.7.10, there was a bug in 0.7.9 affecting sorting.

G
Old 07-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #155
DevilChild_LA
DevilChild_LA began at the beginning.

Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Try 0.7.10, there was a bug in 0.7.9 affecting sorting.

G
Thanks, that worked.
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #156
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I have tried to read through every iPad thread I can find, and can't seem to figure out why I'm having so many issues with calibre + iPad. calibre plus every other reader I've had has been a pure joy, but working with it and the iPad has been a trial at best.

My first and biggest issue is every time I send a new set of books to the iPad, most of the books I previously sent are deleted. Argh! My library is approaching 2000 books so this is a big problem for me. I feel like I'm on a big treadmill—add authors A-C, then add D-F and watch A-C disappear. And so on and so on. Is there some setting in iTunes or calibre I'm missing?

More minor problems that are still irritations:

Is there a way to get the series number to appear somewhere. From the prior posts in this thread it seems I should, but I can't figure it out. My series all sort in the proper order (at least for the 10 minutes they are actually on the device) but if I'm missing books in the series I don't know about it.

Also, there seem to be some tags hard coded into books that keep popping up as categories. For example my copy of The Puppet Masters from Baen always appears with the category Science Fiction, even though I have no tags and no series info for this book via calibre. Is there a way to get rid of these unwanted tags? They really disturb my anal retentive self.

Finally my pdf's don't sync properly between calibre and iBooks. In Calibre they have the name entered in the metadata but on the iPad they have the filename. Because of this calibre never sees that I have them already on the device.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

-Marcy
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #157
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
My first and biggest issue is every time I send a new set of books to the iPad, most of the books I previously sent are deleted. Argh! My library is approaching 2000 books so this is a big problem for me. I feel like I'm on a big treadmill—add authors A-C, then add D-F and watch A-C disappear. And so on and so on. Is there some setting in iTunes or calibre I'm missing?
Review the instructions in the first post in this thread for general configuration recommendations.

When you sync iTunes with your iDevice, the Books playlist in your library is synced with the Books playlist on your iDevice. Confirm that all of the books you want on your iDevice are still in iTunes.

Quote:
Is there a way to get the series number to appear somewhere. From the prior posts in this thread it seems I should, but I can't figure it out. My series all sort in the proper order (at least for the 10 minutes they are actually on the device) but if I'm missing books in the series I don't know about it.
You would need to rename your books to incorporate the series name and number if you want them to appear in the titles shown in iBooks.

Quote:
Also, there seem to be some tags hard coded into books that keep popping up as categories. For example my copy of The Puppet Masters from Baen always appears with the category Science Fiction, even though I have no tags and no series info for this book via calibre. Is there a way to get rid of these unwanted tags? They really disturb my anal retentive self.
The Category shown in iBooks is derived from the first <dc:subject> element in the epub's .OPF file. Use Sigil to edit the metadata in the original EPUB, or do an EPUB->EPUB conversion.

Quote:
Finally my pdf's don't sync properly between calibre and iBooks. In Calibre they have the name entered in the metadata but on the iPad they have the filename. Because of this calibre never sees that I have them already on the device.
Create a ticket with a debug trace as described in the 'If you have problems ...' section of the first post in this thread.

G
Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #158
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Review the instructions in the first post in this thread for general configuration recommendations.
I had done that. I read every thread I could find about calibre and iPad to see if I could figure it out myself.

Quote:
When you sync iTunes with your iDevice, the Books playlist in your library is synced with the Books playlist on your iDevice. Confirm that all of the books you want on your iDevice are still in iTunes.
They're not, even though I didn't delete them, either via calibre or directly in iTunes.

I've changed from sending to the device to sending to iTunes. I'm going to see if that works better. So far, so good, but I've only sent a couple of small batches of books.

Quote:
You would need to rename your books to incorporate the series name and number if you want them to appear in the titles shown in iBooks.
Argh!! I previously had done that and recently removed the series number from the titles once I started using a Pocketbook ereader, where I could control how calibre set the file name in the when saving to device.

Quote:
The Category shown in iBooks is derived from the first <dc:subject> element in the epub's .OPF file. Use Sigil to edit the metadata in the original EPUB, or do an EPUB->EPUB conversion.
I tried the epub->epub conversion without getting rid of the pesky tag. But removing it in sigil worked, thanks!

Quote:
Create a ticket with a debug trace as described in the 'If you have problems ...' section of the first post in this thread.
I will when I get home from work tonight, thanks.

-Marcy
Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #159
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
I spent much of this evening adding all the series numbers back to the first 1/3 of my collection. To do this I put the series number in square brackets after the book title, i.e.

On Basilisk Station [1]

Dead Wrong [12]

etc, etc.

I transfered a small sample of books to my iPad and the numbers do not appear in the title. They do appear in the title in calibre.

In iTunes they don't appear in the list of books, but in the cover flow they do appear. They don't appear anywhere on the iPad.

If I import the books into Stanza via calibre's content server they do have the series numbers.

So, is this not a viable option to label my series?

Thanks,
Marcy
Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #160
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Some points to try:

- try deleting the books first, disconnect and then reconnect to give a chance for any caches information to be cleared.

- it might be worth doing an epub->epub conversion to ensure that the metadata in the epub file is updated.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #161
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Some points to try:

- try deleting the books first, disconnect and then reconnect to give a chance for any caches information to be cleared.

- it might be worth doing an epub->epub conversion to ensure that the metadata in the epub file is updated.
The problem isn't caching, because the numbers appear in the iTunes cover flow. I did delete everything off my iPad and iTunes first and then disconnected the iPad while I readded the books back.

-Marcy
Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #162
Marcy
Guru

Is there any way to make this thread sticky? It seems like a lot of people using iProducts would benefit from finding it easily.

-Marcy
Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #163
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I spent much of this evening adding all the series numbers back to the first 1/3 of my collection. To do this I put the series number in square brackets after the book title, i.e.

On Basilisk Station [1]

Dead Wrong [12]

etc, etc.

I transfered a small sample of books to my iPad and the numbers do not appear in the title. They do appear in the title in calibre.

In iTunes they don't appear in the list of books, but in the cover flow they do appear. They don't appear anywhere on the iPad.

If I import the books into Stanza via calibre's content server they do have the series numbers.

So, is this not a viable option to label my series?

Thanks,
Marcy
[Edit]
Is I re-read this (it's early) I realize I may have misunderstood the original question. If you're seeing a difference in iTunes between cover flow and the listed titles, it's because cover flow uses the Album name. Perhaps Calibre is putting the value there only?

The titles shown in iBooks come from the "Name" field in iTunes. However, it will be sorted by the "Sort Name" field. When you have a series listed for a book in Calibre, Calibre is putting the Series Name plus the number in the Sort Name field making books very difficult to find if you sort by title in iTunes. This behavior has the benefit of sorting your books by series when you browse by Categories in iBooks.
Perhaps this is why you can't find some of your books?
I wish there were a better alternative that would allow series browsing in iBooks but would allow the titles sorting to be correct. I've pretty much adopted the habit that when I want to find a book by title, I use the search feature in iBooks.

Tom

Last edited by tbergman; 08-11-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #164
hokkie_99
hokkie_99 began at the beginning.

Book deletions

I'm not sure if this is a simple fix or not, but I have been having two problems.

1- When I send the books to my iTunes, the epub format is deleted in Calibre. How can I prevent this?

2- When I look at the book information in iTunes, the "Series" hasn't been sent over to the "Category" file. Is there a way to make this work? Also, when if I can eventually get it to work, how does the numbering (i.e. Alex Cross 1, Alex Cross 2, etc) get displayed?

Thanks!

hokkie_99

p.s. FANTASTIC program and I look forward to any help you all can provide!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #165
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I can't imagine why the epub format is being deleted, someone with more knowledge will have to help you there.

As to the sorting, try this and see if you can see how calibre sorts the books into iTunes. In iTunes, under the view menu, there is "view options". Select that and you should be shown a list of different items to view in your iTunes window. Select "sort name". That is where the sorting by number and series will show. You can also see this information if, with a book highlighted, you go to the file menu and select "get info" (Command I) and go to the sorting tab. In iBooks, when you view your books by category, if there is a series, it will show the series name as the category, otherwise it will be what you have the book tagged. If it is in a series, the books will be in order from first to last. I really like how this works!

And I just realized, this is how you would do this on a Mac, I have no idea how you would do it on a PC.
Closed Thread