Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
PC Desktop SW upgrade - Problem

Tonight my Kobo desktop app is telling me that it has discovered a new update, downloads it (and I have no choice, I must go on with the download), then I am compelled to install it (if I choose to cancel the installation the program exits and everything starts again). After the installation the program asks to restart and as soon as it restarts it tells me it has discovered a new update !!
You can imagine what happens afterwards.
I have tried downloading the whole app again from the Kobo site, but the cycle starts up again. Already "updated" 4 times and no sign of stopping.

And I cannot use the kobo app !

Help please ! How do I get out of this cycle ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yep, just tried it and that's exactly what happens.

I suspect Kobo will come up with a fix shortly.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
LadyLoki
LadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi. Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
My kobo destop is doing the same thing.. MUST update but then it never finishes, you update adnauseum and it never lets you get into the program! I hope Kobo fixes this quickly cuz it is extremely frustrating!
LadyLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Tonight my Kobo desktop app is telling me that it has discovered a new update, downloads it (and I have no choice, I must go on with the download), then I am compelled to install it (if I choose to cancel the installation the program exits and everything starts again). After the installation the program asks to restart and as soon as it restarts it tells me it has discovered a new update !!
You can imagine what happens afterwards.
I have tried downloading the whole app again from the Kobo site, but the cycle starts up again. Already "updated" 4 times and no sign of stopping.

And I cannot use the kobo app !

Help please ! How do I get out of this cycle ?
Worked fine for me.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Had the same problem. I wanted to get to Desktop contents and didn't want to wait for Kobo to rectify it so I uninstalled desktop, went to Kobo site and re-installed. It takes some time but it works.

Last edited by llcj; 12-06-2012 at 05:38 PM.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Worked fine for me.
Me too. I have ver 3.0.4, and it just loads without looking for an update.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
LadyLoki
LadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura aboutLadyLoki has a spectacular aura about

WELL, will wonders never cease!! I went today to see if I could get into my kobo desktop.. and what do you know.. I DID! no more stupid update message! Thanks for fixing it so quickly.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, it seems to be working now. I was scared for a short while
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
I haven't used my Kobo Desktop for a couple of weeks or so.

I booted it up yesterday only to have a stark message that there is an important update for it.

Since I am mightily suspicious of Kobo updates now, I cancelled it.

Presumably this is the update being discussed here, and is it now reasonably safe to install this update please ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post

I booted it up yesterday only to have a stark message that there is an important update for it.

Presumably this is the update being discussed here, and is it now reasonably safe to install this update please ?
I had no problems this time...
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
LadyLoki

Today I opened Kobo Desktop, only to have that message pop up. With much trepidation I went ahead, and miraculously.. it actually worked! I got the update and desktop worked!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I got the update yesterday, had no problems, downloaded, installed, relaunched, working fine.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Just updated Desktop and now the proud owner of version 3.1.4.

A bit unnerving however when you download the update, click on "Install" and nothing happens for 30 or 40 seconds !
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post

No, it is a follow up. Luckily, no problems, go ahead.