Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
What I will miss about Fictionwise

With all the changes that took place on April 1, there was one thing I didn't think about, but now that Monday has rolled around, it's one of the things I'll miss the most.

Every Monday since I discovered Fictionwise, I've clicked on their "New eBooks" link to find out what was being released soon--either that week or as a pre-order. I've discovered a number of books I would never have known were available because of this. But now that the agency pricing is in effect and Fictionwise doesn't have its act together (and probably no plans to have it together any time soon), I'm going to have to go back to the old way of finding out what's available--trial and error.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
This was my bookstore for close to 10 years. Seeing all the changes caused by the publishers is very sad. I'm hoping they can get the store back up with all the books, but losing all the discounts is sad. I wouldn't have the huge collection of books I have without all of their discounts and rebates. I guess we will have to see how the agency pricing is, but I don't see my book buying staying at the level it was. Thankfully I have a pretty large back catalog to still read.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I agree. I have been a regular visitor to Fictionwise and have purchased over 500 ebooks over the years. The last year has seen a steady erosion of options for non-US buyers and now Humpty has taken a great fall!

I hope he gets put back together again!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Well... it looks like Fictionwise may have made agency deals. There's a very few number of S&S titles now. At least one of those was definitely not there over the weekend (found the book by a title search, then used the publisher link from there).

A paucity of books and formats, but... it's potential?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, there's a book I've pre-ordered that it wasn't for sale yesterday, but it's today, so I hope...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Well... it looks like Fictionwise may have made agency deals. There's a very few number of S&S titles now. At least one of those was definitely not there over the weekend (found the book by a title search, then used the publisher link from there).

A paucity of books and formats, but... it's potential?
I still don't have access top my past purchases:

"The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later."

"eBook Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Inc."
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I still don't have access top my past purchases:

"The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later."

"eBook Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Inc."
Same here. I just discovered it, and went through my bookshelf today. Result: 30 books I can't download at the moment (didn't take note of which publishers though). Now I'm smart enough to download everything when I buy it and back it up locally, but what if I hadn't? Or something had happened to my backup? I hope they get it resolved soon.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have access to some of them that are in ePub. None that are in Mobipocket, and not sure of MS Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
I'm with the OP on this one.

I've come to the conclusion that I probably do buy enough multiformat books and Random House books for it to be worthwhile having a buywise membership even if FW don't get the other publishers back or it takes some months to do so. But the two ways in which they made my life much easier were having an easy to browse list of all new releases in a particular week (I didn't read it all, but I did skim the sections I was likely to be interested in) and being able to consolidate most if not all of my purchases in a single online bookshelf.

I assume that once all this settles down I'll still be able to buy ebooks somehow (although I've just posted about the very frustrating experience I had this weekend), but if FW is no longer basically comprehensive, keeping up with what I want to read becomes more complicated and the upshot is likely to be my buying less books.
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote