Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
iLiad Price and Approx launch date Confirmed by Irex

Just recieved this from Irex

From: Loeki van der Lee [mailto:loeki.van.der.lee@philips.com]
Sent: 22 May 2006 11:39
To: Stuart Young
Subject: Fw: The iLiad ER0100 Reader

Dear Mr. Young,

I herewith would like to inform you that we are planning to make the iLiad available for individual purchase via our Web shop before the end of May 2006.
The price of the iLiad will be EURO 549,00, exclusive VAT and exclusive transport costs.
Your e-mail address has been listed on our retail list and you will receive a notification as soon as our Web shop is open and how to place an order.

Best regards,

The iRex Technologies Team

Loeki van der Lee
Office Manager

iRex Technologies BV
High Tech Campus 46
5656 AE Eindhoven
The Netherlands
Phone +31 40 2746490
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceways
Loeki van der Lee
how cool a name is that, huh?

pretty much what we all expected. but good to hear it from someone 'official'.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
That means around 650 Euro to pay for me which is not too bad. From the hardware specs this is probably barely above manufacturing costs.
The gaming consoles show that prices substantially below that are usually sponsored.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
That's a good update since it seems they are sticking to May for the release date. I was told the same price by Mr Lee, EURO 549,00, back in March.

Btw, when he wrote me, Mr Lee mentioned the upcoming release of the "first generation" of the iLiad, meaning that some of us (those who cannot wait to buy it) will probably get very upset if a "second" generation may come out not much later.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Loeki van der Lee is the person I "spoke" to by mail as well...he seems to be their PR guy.

What I don't understand is this "before the end of May" thing...it could mean anything from today to 30th of May...

Why don't they just set a date? I hope this won't be like "second half of April", but since there have been so many sightings of the Iliad in the past week, I suppose it could acutally make it. I hope it's this week.

Anyone care to speculate why it's still a bit "open"? I'd go for the "waiting for additional devices" theory or as alternative I'd say they're updating the devices they have...but I don't think that's right.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

I'm just hoping it's not Monday the 29th.. As I'll be link dead all day and will be cheesed off if you guys force them to be 'out of stock'
Old 05-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@onceways

the out of stock thing could happen...^^
I'm seriously hoping they have more than 10 devices ready for launch day...
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
... on monday 29th we can read "the shop is open now and you can preorder the device ... :-)
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

*lol*

good one...^^
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Or they ship direct from the factory in Azerbaijan. Meaning another monthes delay :-/ Off topic does any one know if LIT is supported?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

lit is not supported out of the box. (as far as i know)

you can however use html (use convertlit to rip the lit files) or wait for some software developer to make a lit viewer (if irex really holds to their promise of giving the DEV-Kit away to anybody)
Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
So when do people expect the big launch to start then?

I would be surprised if it was mid-week (I'm more than happy to be wrong though) So either Friday or Monday.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I would guess Wednesday the 31st
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

yeah, next week (if nothing goes wrong).
my guess -> they will be shipping their bulk (commercial) orders first. what's left will go on sale in the webstore.

any news on new readers for the device?
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #15
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I would doubt we will see any new readers before launch.

And within a week several dozen homebrew readers. :-)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote