Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
William Vollmann and Thomas Pynchon News

If you like to take a break from zombies and decapitation (as I occasionally do), then Aug. is a good month for some important reading.

Take note:

William Vollmann's newest book, "Imperial," is a massive 1,400 pages in the print edition, with a price of $55.00. The Kindle edition, for $29.70, has just become available.

Thomas Pynchon's new novel, "Inherent Vice," will be published Aug. 4. There is no mention of a Kindle edition, but one can only hope.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I've been following the Pynchon announcements, and there's an excerpt from Inherent Vice on his website:

Quote:
She came along the alley and up the back steps the way she always used to. Doc hadn't seen her for over a year. Nobody had. Back then it was always sandals, bottom half a flower-print bikini, faded Country Joe & the Fish t-shirt. Tonight she was all in flatland gear, hair a lot shorter than he remembered, looking just like she swore she'd never look.

'That you, Shasta?'

'Thinks he's hallucinating.'

'Just the new package I guess.'

They stood in the street light through the kitchen window there'd never been much point in putting curtains over and listened to the thumping of the surf from down the hill. Some nights, when the wind was right, you could hear the surf all over town.

'Need your help, Doc.'

'You know I have an office now? just like a day job and everything?'

'I looked in the phone book, almost went over there. But then I thought, better for everybody if this looks like a secret rendevous.'

Okay, nothing romantic tonight. Bummer. But it still might be a payin gig. 'Somebody's keepin' a close eye?'

'Just spent an hour on surface streets trying to make it look good.'

'How about a beer?' He went to the fridge, pulled two cans out of the case he kept inside, handed one to Shasta.

'There's this guy', she was saying.
http://www.thomaspynchon.com/inherent-vice.html

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-01-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Moejoe.

Sounds like noir all the way, which is what I like. We can use the first line as a starting point for some noir shenanigans. To wit:

She came along the alley and up the back steps skipping and hopping like an agitated grassphopper that's just been sprayed with a biopesticide repellent, her body lithe and active in its tight-fitting clothing, the expression on her face pinched in agony as she said to me, "Where's the bathroom, buddy?"

Don
Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Are any of Pynchon's novels available as ebooks (of any format)? I haven't found any yet.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Are any of Pynchon's novels available as ebooks (of any format)? I haven't found any yet.
I haven't found them legally, but I do have all of them (i think it's all) from the darknet converted into ePub. Now there's a set of books I'd love to pay money for if they were available.
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I haven't found them legally, but I do have all of them (i think it's all) from the darknet converted into ePub. Now there's a set of books I'd love to pay money for if they were available.
I'd pay twice what they sold for to have all his work.

I'm hoping he'll win the Nobel Prize (in this order of preference):

1) Joyce Carol Oates
2) Mario Vargas Llosa
3) Thomas Pynchon
4) Carlos Fuentes
5) Haruki Murakami
6) William Vollmann

Don
Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'd pay twice what they sold for to have all his work.

I'm hoping he'll win the Nobel Prize (in this order of preference):

1) Joyce Carol Oates
2) Mario Vargas Llosa
3) Thomas Pynchon
4) Carlos Fuentes
5) Haruki Murakami
6) William Vollmann

Don

What a list I don't think there's anybody on there I wouldn't gladly read any day of the week (well maybe not Vollman because I'm unfamiliar with his work).
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Oooh, another Pynchon book. I like his books, but I admit that I don't keep up on him since his writing tends to be so few and far between. But it looks like he's been pretty prolific the past few years.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

F L A S H !

The Sony Store will be offering Thomas Pynchon's new novel this month!

Great news for readers of Literary Fiction.

(Now back to my zombie novel and those disgusting cats! - "Here kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty")
Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

William Vollmann's newest novel, "Imperiam," is now available from Books On Board. Their price is $43.62.

Amazon's price is $29.70.

That's about a $14.00 difference, Bubba!

Don
Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Sony Store will be offering Thomas Pynchon's new novel this month!

Great news for readers of Literary Fiction.
I don't see it on the Sony site yet and I'd really like to pick this one up right away...

However, e-reader.com has it for $12.95, which is less than half the price I've seen it for at any other e-book retailer.

Is it possible to convert e-reader format to lrf for my Sony reader, while still preserving paragraph and indent formatting?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Here is a preview of Inherent Vice.

Here is a link to the songs and artist listed in the book where you can listen to or learn about the artists.

http://inherent-vice.pynchonwiki.com..._Inherent_Vice
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Here is a preview of Inherent Vice.

Here is a link to the songs and artist listed in the book where you can listen to or learn about the artists.

http://inherent-vice.pynchonwiki.com..._Inherent_Vice
excitiiing much!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I don't see it on the Sony site yet and I'd really like to pick this one up right away...

However, e-reader.com has it for $12.95, which is less than half the price I've seen it for at any other e-book retailer.

Is it possible to convert e-reader format to lrf for my Sony reader, while still preserving paragraph and indent formatting?

I don't see it there, either, but I clearly remember seeing it as "Coming in August." (I'll search around today to see if I can (re)locate that listing.)

However, Diesel books has it listed in these file formats: Mobi, Palm, Adobe, Microsoft Reader.

Unfortunatley, the price is very expensive.

Don
Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fictionwise seems to have the latest Pynchon in multiple formats. No Vollman, though.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote