Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks do you purchase each month?
1 14 13.21%
2 11 10.38%
3 12 11.32%
4 12 11.32%
5 8 7.55%
6 1 0.94%
7 1 0.94%
8 5 4.72%
9 0 0%
10 11 10.38%
11-12 6 5.66%
13-14 1 0.94%
15-20 7 6.60%
20-up 8 7.55%
<1 (by popular request) 9 8.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
How many ebooks do you purchase each month?

I saw on DearAuthor some ladies are getting together and doing a presenation on ebooks and the female market at the Tools of Change conference. Anyway I was discussing a point on percentage of purchasing amounts of those who have dedicated reading devices, and wondered how many books everyone buys on average per month.

So how many do you actually purchase each month? Does not matter where, or what device you are using.

(and ladies, if you want to help out this group with their research, check out this link: http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2009...comment-187489)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh and mods- I wasn't sure where to put this, so if it needs to be moved I'm apologize ahead of time.
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Depends on what's coming out. Generally 10-12 a month, but on occasion 18-20. Most are new releases along with a few older titles that I want in e-form.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Depends on what's coming out. Generally 10-12 a month, but on occasion 18-20. Most are new releases along with a few older titles that I want in e-form.
*longwhistle* I want your book budget! Mine is only $30 a month

Averages are what I'm looking for, FYI everyone.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Highly Variable. From 0 to 30 ish. I just bought 22 today at baen....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My average has worked out to about one every two months, so I just picked the "1" category.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Highly Variable. From 0 to 30 ish.
<SNIP>
What he said. Although I didn't buy 22 at Baen today... I picked '10' in the poll because it seemed about right. And, for lilac_jive, my book-buying budget is right around $30 or so per month. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
What he said. Although I didn't buy 22 at Baen today... I picked '10' in the poll because it seemed about right. And, for lilac_jive, my book-buying budget is right around $30 or so per month. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

Xenophon
How do you eke 10 books from $30???
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
$30 a month doesn't mean you spend $30 each and every month. Perhaps they didn't purchase books last month, and bought 10 for $60 or so (actually at Baen I think the average price for a book is less than $6) spending the last two months budgeted amount.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
$30 a month doesn't mean you spend $30 each and every month. Perhaps they didn't purchase books last month, and bought 10 for $60 or so (actually at Baen I think the average price for a book is less than $6) spending the last two months budgeted amount.

BOb
Well I just went with what he said, average of ten books a month, $30 a month average.

I wanted to know if he was scoring some killer deals
Old 01-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
sales and fictionwise/books on board 100% rebates should make that pretty doable.

Quote:
btw, i chose 10 ebooks a month. that might be a little low, but hey - it's an average.

i filled out the dear author survey, btw. if they're talking to publishers, i hope more women also do the survey.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I put 1. I probably READ about 1 a week. But, I don't buy that many. I have been reading alot of free books since getting my ebook readers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I put 1. I probably READ about 1 a week. But, I don't buy that many. I have been reading alot of free books since getting my ebook readers.

BOb
Yeah that's why I stuck with "buy," since there is a huge difference (especially on MR) between buying and reading ebooks.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Yeah that's why I stuck with "buy," since there is a huge difference (especially on MR) between buying and reading ebooks.
It also depends on what counts as ebook buying - eg if you buy a 10$ cd with tons of classics from Munseys, or if you buy 1$ erotic classics from Olympia Press, or if you buy sf magazines like Gud, Escape Velocity, or books under 3$ from BookHabit, independent authors like Steve Jordan and such, or if you count only FW, Baen, BoB, Kindle store, Sony store...

My answer would vary greatly depending on the above in number of books, but in monetary terms probably 30$ a month on ebooks average in the 3 years since I started reading them is accurate. Though I probably spend more than 100$ a month on books total including print - only for leisure reading, exclusive of children or professional -and I get quite a few review arcs from publishers too as well as use the local library for print and e-NYPL for e-books extensively...

So a better poll would ask for monetary value, though I think such was done a while ago, but maybe a rerun would be useful
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
My average for the last 4 months is 33 a month. That does include a weeks vacation where I read a lot more than usual, some days off with a cold and some children's books.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote