Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Ebookfling on CNN

Clark Howard of CNN did a spot this morning about ebookfling.com. Apparently it's a site that facilitates the borrowing & lending of ebooks. Anyone used it?
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
CPhill505
CPhill505 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
I saw that also. It's only for Kindle and Nook. I buy Nookbooks for my Sony and strip DRM. I wonder if i could still do this with borrowed books? Doubt it
CPhill505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
There are a few lending sites out there now, including Lendle and Booklending.

Looks like eBookFling supports both Nook and Kindle, which is pretty cool. Would love to see their stats comparing the two formats in terms of lending after 6 months or so!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I joined Tuesday, listed some books that were lendable, but the site wouldn't take them all the first time. I kept trying to select "kindle" only, but the site kept changing it to "All".

Got 13 kindle lendables listed. Logged out. Now it says my email addy isn't registered, so I can't log in. Tried to sign up again, but that says my email addy is already on file, so I can't re-register. Sent feedback on Tuesday about the problem, and as of this afternoon haven't gotten any response from them.

So far, not impressed. I like "BookLending" and "Books for my Kindle" better. Both have pros and cons, but they're tweaking their sites and respond to forums.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
I strip DRM, too. Not sure if I want to post those books as being availble for lending....
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
I strip DRM, too. Not sure if I want to post those books as being availble for lending....
My understanding of how the system works is that it just connects you to the other person. You then have to go into your account on (for example) Amazon and send it to that person (probably using an email address). Since it's coming straight from Amazon, it will still have DRM. It's not you just sending a file to someone.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
My understanding of how the system works is that it just connects you to the other person. You then have to go into your account on (for example) Amazon and send it to that person (probably using an email address). Since it's coming straight from Amazon, it will still have DRM. It's not you just sending a file to someone.
Yeah, you're not posting anything from your personal library on your computer.

It's just a way to get people together. On the other sites I get an email saying that "So-n-so would like to borrow your book, and this is their email Addy". Then you go to Amazon, go to the book (either through the main page or through the Kindle manager) and click "Lend this book". You pop in their email addy, and they get the offer of the loan. If they *don't* accept, then after a few days it comes back to me and I can loan it out again.

It's the Amazon copy that's being lent. They keep track of the loan dates and then email you when you get the book back. The borrowed book gets put on their Kindle Mangagement list. Then they can send it to their various devices.

As for Ebookfling, it's Friday morning, I still can't get back in, and no response to the Feedback I left Tuesday asking for help. Ugh.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote