Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #1
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

Battery life with sd card?

Has anyone run any tests comparing battery life with and without a Sd Card in the Kindle? If so, was the card merely in the Kindle, or were you also reading a book from the card (im not sure if this matters, does the kindle load books from the card into temporary memory, or does it continue to read from the card?)
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
Has anyone run any tests comparing battery life with and without a Sd Card in the Kindle? If so, was the card merely in the Kindle, or were you also reading a book from the card (im not sure if this matters, does the kindle load books from the card into temporary memory, or does it continue to read from the card?)
I've not noticed any degredation of battery life with an SD card in.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I've not noticed any degredation of battery life with an SD card in.
And what kind of battery life are you getting?
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We owned a Kindle for about a month before installing an sd card, no noticeable difference in battery life. We charge about once per week. No idea how many page turns that is but the Mrs is an avid reader
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
And what kind of battery life are you getting?
I've gone as long as five days without getting down to the last bar in the battery indicator. That with pretty heavy reading and the Whispernet turned off. Before I got the SD card, it was very similar.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
For me, it actually does make a difference. Basically, by putting things on the main memory than on a SD card:
1. Faster book opening
2. Fasting syncing speed from the computer/mobipocket
3. Longer battery life. I think I got 4 days vs. 3 days on SD
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Dr Dave
Dr Dave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Battery Life with Kindle

Actually, the issue isn't the SD card per se, but rather how much stuff you have on it. I put about 2000 books worth of stuff that I had for Palm Reader (PRC files) onto my SD card, and battery life went to about 5 hours in STANDBY mode! Battery life was 5-6 days with just the card and nothing on it. Apparently, the thing indexes CONSTANTLY if you have anything on the SD card.

I'm fighting with Amazon now over this issue, since the damned SD card slot is just about useless if you can't put things on it. Amazon tech support's response is "That's why we came out with the Kindle 2"--to me this is akin to GM or Ford saying that if the engine on your 2008 car just ups and dies after 5 hours of driving even when the gas tank is still ful, then you need to buy a 2009 model which gets better mileage (i.e., complete and utter babbling BS). Another of their brilliant suggestions has been to leave the SD card out of the slot until you need it, which would be fine except that you need to put it in to read the book of off of it, and if you remove the card it starts immediately begins re-indexing again once you insert it, thus chewing up the battery life again. I'm sure the next thing they will suggest is that I buy multiple extra batteries and keep them charged (i.e., we're supposed to shell out even more money for a bad design on their part--this is even more fun since the only way you can charge a battery is to insert it into you Kindle, either tieing you to a wall socket or making your device unusable until you're charged all the batteries.)

I AM NOT IMPRESSED.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I am very confused by your issue Dr. Dave.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I am very confused by your issue Dr. Dave.
he is saying that even when you are not using it, it's always indexing and using batter life if you have stuff on the SD
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote