Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Careful with the update.

My Kindle isn't bricked, but the upgrade failed - it killed my registration and a lot of books along the way (all legit amazon or feedbooks books). The biggest problem I'm having, though, is that the indexing seems messed up - the feedbooks guide isn't indexed (or won't index) and I don't know how to force it. I've paper-clip reset, and that didn't help - any suggestions?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Careful with the update.

My Kindle isn't bricked, but the upgrade failed - it killed my registration and a lot of books along the way (all legit amazon or feedbooks books). The biggest problem I'm having, though, is that the indexing seems messed up - the feedbooks guide isn't indexed (or won't index) and I don't know how to force it. I've paper-clip reset, and that didn't help - any suggestions?
Leave your Kindle in sleep mode over night. Depending on how many files need to be indexed, you may need to leave it asleep for a longer period.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You didn't beat me this time. (*maniacal laugh*)
Ah but you can change the title si vous plait to 'increase readership' (shades of Bob Guccione or Henry Luce)
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine Worked!

Important Details:

My Kindle is still recognized by MobiDesktop 6.0.
My ebooks, settings, bookmarks are all okay.
They gave me a new copy of the Kindle User's Guide. Weird.

P.S. Why can't I upload a file with AZW suffix? I had to change it.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Kindle User's Guide.prc (486.6 KB, 342 views)
Old 02-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

No, the problem is that it's not indexing, at all (I'm not getting messages in the search screen about how many left to index).

I had a look at the logs, and it can't "load or create masterindex file". I think this is related to a problem engadget reported about the Kindle thinking it was out of disk space - mine thinks it only has 92M free - even after wiping all the directories (they are automatically re-created, so basically a virgin Kindle.

Just remounted, and the index file has been re-created correctly - now to add a book.

ETA - okay, the indexing is working again - I get the "1 item not yet searchable" that was missing before. I think I'll try the upgrade again before I reload my books - in for a penny, in for a pound.

Last edited by tlrowley; 02-14-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
So Amazon is spreading the Valentine's love today...

Anyways, I decided to hold back on this upgrade until all problems are sorted out. Does that mean I have to keep my whispernet off for now?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #22
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Does that mean I have to keep my whispernet off for now?
Mine wouldn't update over the air - I had to download the file to my computer and push it via USB cable. Anybody find that it DID automatically work over the air? If no, then you don't have to worry about getting it before it's fully fixed.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #23
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

For those of you who failed the upgrade,... could it be the case that you didn't have enough space on your main memory? Just guessing here.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
So Amazon is spreading the Valentine's love today...

Anyways, I decided to hold back on this upgrade until all problems are sorted out. Does that mean I have to keep my whispernet off for now?
According to Amazon, your Kindle will look for an update if it is in sleep mode with Whispernet on. So turn it off.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #25
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

If you downloaded, and upgraded successfully, could you please tell me how large the bin file was. I'm wondering if I have a bad file, but it passes the automatic checksum test.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't know where my original user's manual is, and frankly I never completely read it. So some of the following may not be new.

Automatic conversion of ZIP
Did the conversion service accept zipped files? I don't remember.

Audible.com
There is a section on how to register your Kindle on Audible.com. Is that new?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
If you downloaded, and upgraded successfully, could you please tell me how large the bin file was. I'm wondering if I have a bad file, but it passes the automatic checksum test.
Around 29MB.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #28
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I just got off the phone with Kindle Customer Service about another subject and the rep told me this about the update:

There are new screensavers.

The browser has been updated to cut down on 'excessive lines'.

The 'default search' has changed (she was unable or unwilling to discuss what that meant).

And no, the update does not allow folder creation.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #29
lovebeta
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
I just got off the phone with Kindle Customer Service about another subject and the rep told me this about the update:

There are new screensavers.

The browser has been updated to cut down on 'excessive lines'.

The 'default search' has changed (she was unable or unwilling to discuss what that meant).

And no, the update does not allow folder creation.
Doesn't seem to be very appealing to me. I guess the most important change is about the *default search*. From my own experience, the search daemon consumed a lot of power while in idle if you put in a lot of new material. Several times it rendered my kindle completely dead after a night or so. Otherwise I don't think it justified the money and effort Amazon pays to push it over the whispernet (I am guessing that Amazon has to pay Sprint for the data fee, no?)

To Nate: I am not sure if I understand your question but Amazon always had the conversion capability if you sent in a zipped file with many documents inside.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
To Nate: I am not sure if I understand your question but Amazon always had the conversion capability if you sent in a zipped file with many documents inside.
Thanks. It's not a feature that I've used, so I wasn't sure.