Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
description of books

First: I'm almost new here...
I use Calibre for about 2 days and I used the search-function to help myself. Maybe I found noting because English isn't my native language.

What I want:
I want that Calibre downloads an abstract/description for my books and stores it.

Second: eReader
Is it possible that such an abstarct/description is also shown in the synced eReader?
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
Second: eReader
Is it possible that such an abstarct/description is also shown in the synced eReader?
This is a function of the eReader software. Most eReader software does not seem to support this.

There is a facility in Calibre to generate a cover page that is based on the information stored in Calibre including the description. Many people use this to get around the limitations of their eReader software in displaying such information.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Thanks.

Maybe I only have tomatoes on my eyes....

Where is that description in Calibre?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks.

Maybe I only have tomatoes on my eyes....

Where is that description in Calibre?
The Comments field? I was assuming that was what you meant. It is the one that is normally populated with descriptive data when you download from any of the metadata sources available from within calibre.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
salines
Zealot

OK I found that "comment" - but only in the metadata. No column which I can show in the main table. Right?

Now I added a book with ISBN 3518390511.
All is found - but noting is in the comment field in the metadata.
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
OK I found that "comment" - but only in the metadata. No column which I can show in the main table. Right?
It COULD be shown in the main table - but since Calibre does not support word-wrapping within a column (for performance reasons) it would be of limited use. It IS shown in the book details panel when you click on a specific book.

Quote:
Now I added a book with ISBN 3518390511.
All is found - but noting is in the comment field in the metadata.
That field is only filled in by simply adding a book if there is already comments included in the metadata embedded in the book.

If it is not already there then you either need to fill it in manually, or use the Calibre facility for getting metadata for the web. You can tune what data sources are used for metadata, and also what fields should be filled in when you retrieve metadata from an online source.

The quaility and extent of metadata available from the web sources varies widely so what you get is determined what any particular supplier(s) provide for a given book.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
salines
Zealot

Now this is clearer. JUHUU

Thanks a lot itimpi for your patience.