Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
File structure on memory card

Can anyone share what the folder/file structure looks like on a memory card/stick that has been loaded with ebooks?

Since I'm a Mac user, I can't use the Connect software to get started... I'm guessing all I really need is the name of the folder where the Reader will look for non-DRM text, RTF and .pdf files. Or do they simply go on the root level? (I doubt it, but I have no way of knowing...)

With that info, I can start loading up my baby... Thanks!
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From the reports I gather that it will scan the whole card, so the folders don't matter.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
fireproof
Enthusiast
fireproof began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|TX, Sony Reader^H^H^H^H, iLiad, iPhone
I'm in the same boat - luckily I've got access to a PC running Windows!

A plain SD/MMC/Memory stick won't work, but once you've added the following directory structure you can add books just fine.

Sony Reader >> books (note the capitalization!)
There's also a directory called "database" in the Sony Reader directory where the cache.xml file is stored. I suppose it will be created automatically by the device, but probably wouldn't hurt to make it yourself.

As a side note, there's no way to delete books in main memory without using the Sony Connect software.
fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
fireproof
Enthusiast

Scanning the whole card

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
From the reports I gather that it will scan the whole card, so the folders don't matter.
I didn't have any luck with that -- though perhaps it's just a bum SD card (it's a left over). Once I used the Sony Connect software on a PC, which created the folder structure, everything seemed to work alright. I'll try dropping a few files outside the Sony Reader >> books directory and see what happens.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
fireproof
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireproof
A plain SD/MMC/Memory stick won't work
I was wrong -- I just put an RTF file at the root of the SD card and it worked fine.

Perhaps the moral is "Format your card first?"
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When I first started to play with a Reader, I just copied the e-book to an SD card. Folders are fine, as are subfolders. When you insert the card, the Reader shows an animated busy signal while it searches for all the e-books across all folders and adds them to the book list.

Either then, or after a books is opened from the SD card, you will get a new directory structure and a file that looks like this: \Sony Reader\database\cache.xml. But you don't have to put e-books in that directory structure.

And yeah, I think that to manage the contents of the internal memory, you have to use the Connect software. But I plan on leaving an SD card in the Reader all the time anyway (except when it's in the card reader slot).
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
When I first time inserted memory stick, it did work. But after that, Reader wont rescan MS content anymore, unless you reboot it. So I use USB transfer now. Each time you disconnect USB cable, Reader rescans both internal memory and MS and shows all the book I have.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
Thanks for the responses. When I opened this thread this morning, I hadn't yet picked up my Reader... I just got it, and as promised, the memory stick I loaded last night showed all the eBooks on startup. They were indeed all in the root directory.

Slava, thanks for the tip on rescan. I wish I didn't have to get back to work, and could keep exploring! Tonight, tonight...
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote