Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
jessme7
jessme7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Cool Apple's New iPad

I just got a new Kindle 2 this past Christmas but I may need to sell it to get Apple's latest and greatest iPad. http://www.apple.com/ipad/
16gb Starting at $499 and $629 w/3G it is the price of a Kindle DX. The thing is that I have quite a few Kindle/.mobi ebooks, and I wonder if I can transfer it on there. I am sure there should be a way to run Calibre on the new iPad. With up to 10 hours of battery life, I would not have to grab my MacBook and Kindle2 for my travels anymore, just the iPad would do. The only downfall, and I wish the iPad had eInk technology...I could see how my eyes would get tired after reading 2 hours on this.

Check out the iPad http://www.apple.com/ipad/
Can't wait to play with it at the Apple store when this gets released. What do you all think?
jessme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
Might be kinda hard to hack...
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am glad that I did not bought the kindle dx that I wanted
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
jfrancis
jfrancis began at the beginning.

Device: Shopping
See this before you jump: http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad
jfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
So the iPad looks great. Too bad that according to Slate's Big Money--2nd Paragraph of the following site:

http://www.thebigmoney.com/features/...ota-halt-sales

"Apple is asking publishers to set two e-book price points for hardcover best sellers: $12.99 and $14.99, with fewer titles offered at $9.99."

Well, I guess Steve never had much respect for readers--after all nobody reads anymore. I think rising e-book prices will discourage a lot of people from e-readers.

I could see wanting an iPad someday, but it rankles that Apple cares so little for their customers. They're giving us this handy gadget that can do everything--even read books, but they're also going to make sure that we pay more for those books than we do right now.

I hope they don't win this one. I'm rooting for Amazon. At least Amazon is trying to provide a reasonably priced product.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
can we just say that this is the biggest anticlimatic flop of the 21st century?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
can we just say that this is the biggest anticlimatic flop of the 21st century?
sounds like the same type of quotes i heard after the iphone launch

apple will sell out of these
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
The difference is that when the iPhone came, we really had not seen anything like it before. Now we have, so they can't really count on the novelty value this time. But it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Personally I would not exchange my e-reader for an iPad (silly name, imo) at all.
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
I think, it looks nice but I think I will hold out to see what people think before I jump in. As for ereader, if it will work with epubs I'm sure it may work ok and the kicker would be being able to surf for new books or post frome here
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Armor78154
Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Kindle Reader and iPad

I am wondering how the Kindle Reader app that was originally created for the iPhone will work on this. It might be a great alternative reader for those of us who want a better reader but are committed to the Kindle because of the amount of books we have purchased through Amazon.
Armor78154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Only 10 hours of battery life?
Pass.
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Who cares what price point they set?

I would still use Stanza. It's free and very well designed. And it will run natively in the ipad.

I will keep buying my books, removing DRM and converting to epub.

So I guess I will do what I do now, shop around for the lowest price, which sometimes is Fictiowise and usually is Amazon.

Cheers

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
They confirm all iphone app will work on ipad. it is iphone 3.2.
Same as ipod/iphone. it is not to hard to jailbreak.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Who cares what price point they set?

I would still use Stanza. It's free and very well designed. And it will run natively in the ipad.
Since the release of the iPhone and iPod touch it was always Apple's policy to ban software that duplicates the functionality of out-of-the-box functionalities of the device's system/software. Now Apple has iBook which would compete with Stanza and txtr. We will see whether Stanza and txtr will be available for the iPad in the AppStore in future. I hope so, but i'm afraid that Apple will block competing native reading software on the iPad.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
iPad will have its uses (and man does it look shiny), but I'll stick with epaper for reading.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote