Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Calibre removing speech marks

Hi,

I've had an irritating problem for a while now in that a few of my lrf books have no speech marks in the text and they seem to lose commas and spaces along the way as well.
I've just done a conversion from lit to epub and, again, all the speech marks have gone! They are all still there when I view it in MS Reader, so the file must be OK but they're not seen in Calibre's epub viewer or on the Sony itself.

This is starting to get really annoying. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, please? Anyone else suffer from the same problem?

Thanks.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
This is likely due to the encoding of your lit files using "smart" quotation that looks nice,but doesn't convert nice. You can try and change the encoding on the conversion options from autodetect to several other encodings (try searching encodings in this forum for several threads on different encoding types to try), but many of us have found that this doesn't work and requires you to manually change the quotes, em-dashes, commas, and apostrophes to non-smart quotation marks.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Hmm. Thanks for that. I'll look into the encodings thing but don't fancy my chances manually changing all the speech marks - it's a long book!

Thanks for that.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Actually it is pretty easy to change the quotation marks. Simply open the book in a word processor or wysiwyg html editor and use the replace all feature.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote