Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It was either free or $1, I forgot which. Worth the price, whichever it was.
The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death is available free from Fictionwise in eReader format. ereader2html.py can remove the DRM and convert to HTML. Also, Sony has it for free at The eBook Store. Amazon has it for free.

It was part of the 9 free eBooks that BooksOnBoard gave away. So you might have it in the format of choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #62
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
How about Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../ref=kin2w_ddp

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Fisher has fictionalized her life in several novels (notably Postcards from the Edge), but her first memoir (she calls it a really, really detailed personals ad) proves that truth is stranger than fiction. There are more juicy confessions and outrageously funny observations packed in these honest pages than most celebrity bios twice the length. After describing how she underwent electroshock therapy for her manic depression, Fisher then sorts through her life as her memories return. She predicts that by the end of the book, you'll feel so close to me that you'll want to divorce me. At one point, this daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher (one an icon, the other an arm piece to icons) hilariously diagrams her family tree of Hollywood marriages and remarriages to make sure her daughter's potential date is not a relative. Revealing that at 15 she got a vibrator for Christmas from her mother, she writes, You might be thinking that a lot of the stories I'm telling you are over the top... but you can't imagine what I'm leaving out. With acerbic precision and brash humor, she writes of struggling with and enjoying aspects of her alcoholism, drug addiction and mental breakdowns. Her razor-sharp observations about celebrity, addiction and sexuality demand to be read aloud to friends. (Dec.)
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #63
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Against Intellectual Monopoly - by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine
[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've sent email to David K. Levin in hopes to get a copy that will be fairly easy to convert that's not in PDF. If I can get such, I will be quite happy to second this. It does sound like a good choice.
I'll third it
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #64
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I nominate "The origin of species" by Darwin.

I read a good review of it in the paper two days ago, which stressed its good language and general accessibility, so I thought it could be interesting to read.
It's also a book that has made a great impact, and knowing what it is about first hand, can only be a good thing. Finally, it's Darwin's 200 years birthday anniversary this year, so I thought it could be extra fitting to read it.
Thirded
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death is available free from Fictionwise in eReader format. ereader2html.py can remove the DRM and convert to HTML. Also, Sony has it for free at The eBook Store. Amazon has it for free.

It was part of the 9 free eBooks that BooksOnBoard gave away. So you might have it in the format of choice.

The Sony is still free, and is still available for download.

(Note: Just because a book WAS free does not necessarily guarantee that you can still download it, even though it is still in your Sony Library.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #66
readingrocks!
x
readingrocks! doesn't litterreadingrocks! doesn't litter

Device: None
I am currently reading The Professor and the Madman as recommended here already.

"

Last edited by readingrocks!; 02-21-2009 at 07:31 PM.
readingrocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #67
readingrocks!
x
readingrocks! doesn't litterreadingrocks! doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLMines View Post
I would like to nominate A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella Bird. Available at MobileRead, Manybooks.net, and other fine eBook establishments near you .

This is an amazing book. I was expecting a travelogue, and discovered an adventurous gem!

Sherri

I second this book...sounds like a good read.

Last edited by readingrocks!; 02-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
readingrocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #68
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
John... you gonna summarize where we are here and add em to the first post. I think there are two or three books that have had 3 noms.

BOb

BTW: Thread sticky'ed... yes I have used my new "green" powers.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #69
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I know im really new, but id vote for plato as well : )
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #70
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
I know im really new, but id vote for plato as well : )
You've posted enought to become a Lovecraft fan, so I'd say you're welcome to vote.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #71
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I would like to second The Long Tail, The World Without Us and Blink.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #72
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'll third "Blink"
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
John... you gonna summarize where we are here and add em to the first post. I think there are two or three books that have had 3 noms.

BOb

BTW: Thread sticky'ed... yes I have used my new "green" powers.
I'll sort it all out later today when I have more time to backtrack this thread and see which are three times nominated.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #74
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
My last nomination: God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've sent email to David K. Levin in hopes to get a copy that will be fairly easy to convert that's not in PDF. If I can get such, I will be quite happy to second this. It does sound like a good choice.
I was unable to get a reflowable copy and unless you have a Kindle, the other edition is PDF.