Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Indecisive
Indecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Question Kobo glo or aura - what's the difference? ereader newbie!

Ok, I was going to get a glo but then they announced the aura and I suddenly ended back at square one! Being new to ereaders I'm not entirely sure what is and isn't missing in these models. I know they both have the comfort light - which I'm very interested in because I usually use my ipad and it drives me nuts for reading (love it otherwise, not for books). I hated the eye strain, and the crappy sun glare and the fact that it lights up my bedroom like a spotlight! My ideal response would be from someone who has owned or used both models and can tell me how different they were. The stuff in the aura press release doesn't help much since I've never owner any ereader. Don't know what matters! I'd love any advice, I don't mean to sound demanding! Just being clear since so many of the new aura threads are filled with people who haven't received them listing possible issues or going off topic to non kobo ereaders.

I was reading another thread in the kobo board that got hijacked by a paperweight argument so I'd just like to be clear that I definitely am only considering one of these two models. I'm sure the Sony, kindle, etc. are lovely and I'm glad you like them. That's awesome. I just need to narrow stuff down! And since I was previously set on the glo I'd like to keep it to these two models or ill just end up giving up with frustration! Lol!

I'm also wondering about size, what issues do people who have used both have? Is it way easier to pack the glo around or is the difference quite subtle? Or are they both chunky so the glo would be better ? Anything is great though, hope I didn't put anyone off with my "this is what I want" harping! I need to pull the trigger on this before I go on vacation next week! :P i don't have a lot of money to throw around but I could justify an extra thirty bucks for the aura if it's really worth it. I know people are psyched about the aura but do any former glo users feel like the difference is kinda slight? Or are you totally blown away? If so, do you think that it's just a neat upgrade or did it add something that was lacking to the glo? Like, had you never gazed upon the aura would the added features have ever been anything you complained/had issue with on the glo?

Thanks!
Indecisive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Indecisive
Indecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Oh! Also, this may be/probably is a dumb question but I read a lot of blogs/news sits and was wondering if either of these would allow me to do that? I think I saw that aura had an "expimental browser" - dunno what that means, and I don't know if there is something comparable on the glo! Please help lovely ereader folks!
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I used to own a Glo and decided to upgrade to the Aura. I haven't had a lot of quality time with the Aura yet, but in my humble opinion is that the size/weight differential isn't too extreme and both can be read in one hand without strain.

The Aura is made of hard plastic that is somewhat slippery, but the design on the back does make it easy and comfortable to hold, while the Glo has some sort of soft almost/rubber like material. Personally, I never liked the soft material that much.

The light on the Aura is superior to the Glo, IMO.

Both have web browsers.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
The experimental browser is in both and all it is is a clunky WebKit browser. It is good for some things but it is not on the level of a tablet. It is something I don't even use.

Now as someone who has and loves both the Glo and Aura I would have to ask what are the things that are important to you. I use my Glo on the road and my aura at home. I will list a few of the things I find I like about each one. (I'm typing on my phone so bear with me).

Glo - more portable, better case selection. Cheaper. Very nice and even front light and crisp easy to read screen

Aura- bigger screen. Easier to read even with my bad eyesight I can make the font lower and fit more per page meaning less page turns. Better front light than any reader I own. I am partial to the home screen on the Aura but that is a matter of opinion. And I like having more on board storage.

The Aura is not that much heavier and while it is less portable than my Glo it is more portable than my iPad. The only reason I don't carry it around is because I want to get my money's worth out of the Glo.

You really can't go wrong with either reader. The downside to the Aura is lack of variety in covers and it is more expensive than the Glo. Everything else is, like my post, a matter of opinion.
To me portability is not that much of an issue even if I didn't own a Glo. I have older ereaders that were considered portable that are bigger than the Aura

Anyways enough of my rambling. As I said before either one is an excellent choice. Have fun deciding and enjoy which ever one you choose.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And as mr_nihilism stated the funky back of the Aura does make it comfortable to hold. I was skeptical at first. I find it to be more comfortable and less slippery than I thought.
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
If this is your first time getting an eReader, I recommend getting the Aura since it is the newest eReader from Kobo.

Quote:
Oh! Also, this may be/probably is a dumb question but I read a lot of blogs/news sits and was wondering if either of these would allow me to do that? I think I saw that aura had an "expimental browser" - dunno what that means, and I don't know if there is something comparable on the glo! Please help lovely ereader folks!
Both Glo and Aura have the "experimental browser". It is meant for lightweight browsing - run a google search and read the news. Don't expect to watch youtube through the browser. or try and bank with the browser.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I was wondering the same thing: should I buy a Glo or an Aura to complement my Mini? I'm still try to figure out which one has the more bang for the buck, so to speak
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Indecisive

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I used to own a Glo and decided to upgrade to the Aura. I haven't had a lot of quality time with the Aura yet, but in my humble opinion is that the size/weight differential isn't too extreme and both can be read in one hand without strain.

The Aura is made of hard plastic that is somewhat slippery, but the design on the back does make it easy and comfortable to hold, while the Glo has some sort of soft almost/rubber like material. Personally, I never liked the soft material that much.

The light on the Aura is superior to the Glo, IMO.

Both have web browsers.
Thanks! That's very helpful! I've heard different comments about the slip factor so I figure if it's being debated at all it's not like I'm gonna get it and feel like I'm pulling it out of an oil slick

About the size difference, (sorry for the continuing questions!) I'm guessing you're a dude given your username . I'm a gal with hands on the smaller side, any opinion on whether the size difference is negligible enough not to worry? Weird question, I know! I suppose asking you to imagine you had small women's hands is not something people get asked a lot :P

If anyone out there with smaller hands (dude's too, didn't mean to be sexist! Just over generalizing a little!) I'd appreciate your input!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Indecisive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
If this is your first time getting an eReader, I recommend getting the Aura since it is the newest eReader from Kobo.

Both Glo and Aura have the "experimental browser". It is meant for lightweight browsing - run a google search and read the news. Don't expect to watch youtube through the browser. or try and bank with the browser.

Oh no, definitely not. I've got my ipad for the heavy lifting. I think I'm heading in the aura direction, still a little worried about its size since my hands are on the smaller side.

Thanks for all the help everybody! I'm extremely grateful!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Indecisive

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
The experimental browser is in both and all it is is a clunky WebKit browser. It is good for some things but it is not on the level of a tablet. It is something I don't even use.

Now as someone who has and loves both the Glo and Aura I would have to ask what are the things that are important to you. I use my Glo on the road and my aura at home. I will list a few of the things I find I like about each one. (I'm typing on my phone so bear with me).

Glo - more portable, better case selection. Cheaper. Very nice and even front light and crisp easy to read screen

Aura- bigger screen. Easier to read even with my bad eyesight I can make the font lower and fit more per page meaning less page turns. Better front light than any reader I own. I am partial to the home screen on the Aura but that is a matter of opinion. And I like having more on board storage.

The Aura is not that much heavier and while it is less portable than my Glo it is more portable than my iPad. The only reason I don't carry it around is because I want to get my money's worth out of the Glo.

You really can't go wrong with either reader. The downside to the Aura is lack of variety in covers and it is more expensive than the Glo. Everything else is, like my post, a matter of opinion.
To me portability is not that much of an issue even if I didn't own a Glo. I have older ereaders that were considered portable that are bigger than the Aura

Anyways enough of my rambling. As I said before either one is an excellent choice. Have fun deciding and enjoy which ever one you choose.
Not a ramble! It was super helpful! The web access is mainly just for reading text when I'm at a disadvantage with my ipad in either the insane sunlight glare moments (I loathe that!) or when I'm in bed and don't want my boyfriend to wake up with a fully lit blue bedroom! I'd mostly be using it for books, I just think it would be nice to be able to read a newsfeed when the mood strikes me!

Definitely leaning towards the aura! Wish my local bestbuy had some on hand so I could compare but it would seem I'm out of luck! I can get it shipped same day though so all this info is really great! I think they still do no hassle returns so I guess I've nothing to lose! Except for eye strain!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
kikar
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post
Thanks! That's very helpful! I've heard different comments about the slip factor so I figure if it's being debated at all it's not like I'm gonna get it and feel like I'm pulling it out of an oil slick

About the size difference, (sorry for the continuing questions!) I'm guessing you're a dude given your username . I'm a gal with hands on the smaller side, any opinion on whether the size difference is negligible enough not to worry? Weird question, I know! I suppose asking you to imagine you had small women's hands is not something people get asked a lot :P

If anyone out there with smaller hands (dude's too, didn't mean to be sexist! Just over generalizing a little!) I'd appreciate your input!
My wife prefers her Aura to her Glo. I was just asking her and she said that while the Aura is easy to hold with one hand she prefers to use both hands. She said the back gives it a comfortable book feel (if that makes sense). She told me she prefers the Aura.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post
No big strong muscular hands here. Handling the Aura will be no problem whatsoever. I'm quite sure of it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I have both a Glo and an Aura. I love them both, but if I had to choose one it would be the Aura. I have no problems with the back or the plastic. The screen is AMAZING.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
Indecisive

Woot! Sold! Aura it is! Thanks everyone!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Do you feel that the crispier screen and the more even light are worth the almost +25% price?
If I'm buying a frontlit ereader now, it will be a Kobo. I think I can't go wrong with either of them, however I'm more interested in the Aura

Indecisive, let us know what you think of your Aura when you'll get it. Maybe I won't have already bought one.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote