Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Points View Post
That's good news. When do you expect to release this?
Well the HD and HD+, are going to be available this month (November). For the software updates, we haven't announced anything yet.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Points began at the beginning.

Device: none
For some reason, I thought this thread had veered into using images for initial drop caps, which I had posted about in a different thread. I now see that you're referring to inline images for the special characters. I'd thought of that, but it wouldn't take into account the font or size the ereader is using. According to B&N, the Nook has three fonts. I suppose I could embed the three special characters for all three fonts (if I knew what the fonts were), but would the ereader select the correct one for the font being used? Could I code for it? And what would happen if the user changes the font size? Would the images scale with it?
Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
yes the image should scale with it but it would not change the image based on the font selection.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
For some reason, I thought this thread had veered into using images for initial drop caps, which I had posted about in a different thread. I now see that you're referring to inline images for the special characters. I'd thought of that, but it wouldn't take into account the font or size the ereader is using. According to B&N, the Nook has three fonts. I suppose I could embed the three special characters for all three fonts (if I knew what the fonts were), but would the ereader select the correct one for the font being used? Could I code for it? And what would happen if the user changes the font size? Would the images scale with it?
I don't know who said 3, but that's not right. It's 6 Fonts, and the font sets change slightly between our color and e-ink devices.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a way to select images based upon font styling.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #20

If one were going to embed a font to use for the body of the text, to get the special characters, does anyone have any thoughts on serif vs. sans-serif? Are there any stats or a consensus on what users prefer?
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I've found that works is to use a font family name of serif. That's generic and allows the system to still use serif to change the font family.

font-family: serif
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If one were going to embed a font to use for the body of the text, to get the special characters, does anyone have any thoughts on serif vs. sans-serif? Are there any stats or a consensus on what users prefer?
Use serif. More people prefer it to sans-serif. also, Charis SIL is a very good font to embed. Plus, it's free. I have a modified version that's slightly darker that looks good on eink. There's the link for the modified fonts. Even includes the smallcaps as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-02-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #23

Thanks--I'll try serif, though I read in another thread that embedding a font for body text slows down page turns significantly.

I found a character map for Charis, but it doesn't seem to have Eastern European characters. Also, if I specify serif, wouldn't that allow the device to choose another serif font, which won't have the special characters? I can find an appropriate cheap or free font at fontspring.com, which classifies them by languages, among other categories.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can use Free Serif as a default embedded font.

In order to make the reader use the font, you have to define it in a @font-face rule, where you assign it a "font-family", and then you use that same "font-family" in other CSS styles. You are right, if you use simply "serif" the reader will probably choose its own default font (which may be serif or not, actually).
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #25

Thanks. Free Serif looks a lot like Times, but it may work. I'll give it a try.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Charis SIL is a much nicer font especially the version I've created that has been tweaked to look better on an eink screen.

Here is the URL if you want to give it a go. Charis SIL is free and allowed to be used in eBooks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-02-2013 at 07:03 PM.