Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #751
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
iOS has dictionary support built in for text displayed using iOS text handling API's. We use our own renderer (or more acurately, Adobe's) so we don't get to take advantage of that feature. Dictionary support will be added, but probably won't make the next release.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #752
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post

I'm switching back to this from Stanza. It's a good app and looks to be only getting better.
Yes, Stanza is awesome in terms of reading customization, speed, and large content libraries.

Bluefire has the DRM support for mainstream ebooks and support for public library content.

Apples and Oranges.
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #753
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Absolutely. And I think you guys have a solid reading app that will work for the vast majority of readers including myself.

Now that I can click on internal links, the only thing that you really lack for basic reading is a dictionary. That seems like a feature more in line with your stated goals for the app than editing metadata or most of the other requests I've seen in the thread.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #754
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Absolutely. And I think you guys have a solid reading app that will work for the vast majority of readers including myself.

Now that I can click on internal links, the only thing that you really lack for basic reading is a dictionary. That seems like a feature more in line with your stated goals for the app than editing metadata or most of the other requests I've seen in the thread.
Yup, Dictionary support is high on our list.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #755
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Yup, Dictionary support is high on our list.
Glad to hear it! I found that I've used the dictionary in ibooks far more than I would have expected. Not having it instantly available is what keeps BFR from being my "go to" app for reading. For me it's been ibooks, kobo or blio. All of them suffer from Excessive Margin Syndrome (on the ipad, don't read on the iphone) but access to the dictionary has been more important than the margins. Once you have dictionary support, I expect BFR to become my primary epub reader!

I'm also a fan of the 2-column landscape view in ibooks and blio but that's more of a "nice to have" rather than a must have. Hope you'll think about it for the future!
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #756
Digiphile
Mobile Elite Team
Digiphile began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch 3rd gen/iPhone 3Gs
iBooks is my epub reader of choice for the iPhone and iPod touch and Bluefire Reader is a close second.

The very aesthetically pleasing bookshelf view and the smoothness of its page turning feature help iBooks retain its leading position.

For pdf documents Bluefire Reader is my number one. I haven't found an app that comes close to matching it.
Digiphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #757
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Well, been a while since I posted here so I thought I should give an update. Our last update release (couple months ago now) added iPad retina support, web links in content and a few other tidbits. The next update is going to be *major*: collections, simple highlighting, definition lookup, great EPUB text search, export bookmarks and notes. Shooting for early July release or sooner. Also adding some Asian language support (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #758
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

BTW, one of the things we added in the last iOS release was "sticky" zoom in PDF. Meaning you can zoom the margins off the screen, then tap on the right side of the screen to go to the next page - with the page zoomed to same level and centered. Makes reading PDF long form a little nicer in portrait mode where text can be just a tad small even at Fit Width.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #759
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have found one bug that would be nice to have fixed. Orientation lock does not stick. It does get reset. I'd prefer to be able to set the orientation to portrait in global settings. But just having it stick when set would be good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #760
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I like Bluefire and often use it on my new iPad, very happy for the new iPad update
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #761
NETLOLA
NETLOLA began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Well, been a while since I posted here so I thought I should give an update. Our last update release (couple months ago now) added iPad retina support, web links in content and a few other tidbits. The next update is going to be *major*: collections, simple highlighting, definition lookup, great EPUB text search, export bookmarks and notes. Shooting for early July release or sooner. Also adding some Asian language support (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
That is great news about the forthcoming update! The ability to highlight, definition lookup, export bookmarks/notes, is essential to any good eReader App. So often, when I am reading a book with a really complicated plot and multiple important characters, it is incredibly useful to be able to highlight either words, or passages of text.
NETLOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #762
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Question

Quote:
Hi, this is good to hear.

I have one issue which I have already reported via e-mail to Bluefire, but wish to raise here also.

I have been reading some physics texts in ePub format, and notice that some of the mathematical symbols do not display correctly - I get the square box with a cross in it symbol (see attached screenshots).

This surprises me, as the character set is UTF-8, which I thought would avoid these issues - I was advised in the response from Bluefire support that:
Quote:
"Our development team is currently working to include more fonts and symbols in the App, and mathematical symbols are on their list, but there is no set timetable for when they will be released into the App."
I suggest it is a fairly fundamental and urgent requirement for a reader like Bluefire to have, esp. for UTF-8 support. Without this, most books with any level of technical content are effectively unreadable in your App.

Any chance you can check the progress on this and try to increase the priority? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chap2_p25.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	87576   Click image for larger version

Name:	AppendixA_p436.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	87577  
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #763
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I have a request to add to your long list of things:

Sort by Date Added both ascending and descending

I load ebooks into my readers in the order in which I want to read them so this is a very important feature for me.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #764
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
There are a lot more things that can be added: Interline adjustment, more fonts (It only has 4), two columns in portrait, two, three or four columns in landscape (with inter-column margin adjustable), theme creation and management, nested collections (in the base that new update will have collections), a scroll mode instead of page mode, sync between devices (no, it is not needed any online server, it can be done via email automatically)...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #765
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Synching between devices would really be nice though the only other Apple device I have right now is an old iPod Touch. Still would be an extremely handy feature for someone who had an iPhone, iPad and a Touch.... or also read books while sitting at their computer.

Right now, the addition that would work the most for me is "Sort By Date Added" with the option of either ascending or descending order. Sure hope that would be an easy addition to make.

I wonder if they prefer suggestions here or in the Review section of their product in the App store.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote