Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Comparison of iOS e-book reader software on Wikipedia

Seeing all the discussions about the merits and demerits and, most importantly, the features of the different ebook readers for iOS, I've decided to start an article in Wikipedia to create a basis for a fair comparison.

I've begun this but I could really use some help. It's now an article in its own right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...eader_software

I'd love to see you (yes, YOU, don't look away! ;) ) help me
- think about the criteria
- add more ebook readers
- with whatever constructive ideas come to your minds

Let's discuss any major changes (e. g. changing the font size to 100 pixels ;) ) here first but otherwise - go nuts (within reason ;-) )!

Last edited by Philantrop; 10-20-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Article is now live, so I've updated a few things.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Wouldn't it be better to use our wiki pages?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Wouldn't it be better to use our wiki pages?
First of all, I have to admit I wasn't really aware of a MobileRead wiki. :)

Nevertheless, I think the lower hurdle on Wikipedia (e. g. no need to register there) is nice, there are experienced editors and lots of potential contributors who might not also be part of the MobileRead community.
Plus: There's a similar article for Android there already.

Apart from that, since both Wikipedia and MobileRead use MediaWiki as their platform of choice, I think people here should have no problem editing on WikiPedia either.

If the majority of people think the MobileRead wiki would be a better place, I'd be open to that, too.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I couldn't find an option to see whether a device will let you see the iPhone status bar (the top bar). Stanza, for instance, lets the user choose whether they want to see that display. this is one of my "musts" in an ebook reader app. I know some people prefer not to see it, but again, it's not an either or.. an app could let you choose. Some apps force you to see it, some apps force you to not see it. Some apps (stanza) lets you choose.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I couldn't find an option to see whether a device will let you see the iPhone status bar (the top bar).
That's listed under "Special features".
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Hmm, I see. I think more than just the Stanza listed has the option though, although as I pointed out, the majority of the apps just force a choice on you.. some hide the status bar, others force the status bar on you, etc. Ubooks might have the option like Stanza, but I deleted it. May reinstall to check it out again.

ETA: what do you mean by "Status Indicator"? Stanza, for example, has the handy bar at the bottom, fairly unobtrusive, that lets you know where in the book you are, and it also has progress icon for each book in your library. AFAIK most apps don't have either of those features. do

Last edited by seajewel; 10-19-2011 at 05:03 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Hmm, I see. I think more than just the Stanza listed has the option though,
It's absolutely possible I made mistakes. I checked out everything I listed but I could have confused something. By all means, please check it out and correct the listing in case I'm wrong. :-)

Quote:
ETA: what do you mean by "Status Indicator"? Stanza, for example, has the handy bar at the bottom, fairly unobtrusive, that lets you know where in the book you are, and it also has progress icon for each book in your library. AFAIK most apps don't have either of those features. do
That's exactly what "progress indicator" is supposed to mean.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Philantrop
Addict

Not being a patient person I've

- thought about the criteria
- added more ebook readers
- cleaned up the formatting
- noticed you kept whatever constructive ideas came to your minds to yourself ;)

Thus, I've now created the initial version of the article itself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...eader_software
Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
George
Enthusiast
George began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone - PRS 600
Nice one. Thanks for the effort. I've been looking for something like this.

I was particularly interested in finding readers that enable you to sync across devises and I see according to your article at this time there are only two, the Kindle and iBooks. I have started using iBooks and even though it's not the most flexible option, the sync saves me so much time that it's worth it to me.

Anyway, thanks again.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I started making changes on your discussion page, but then got pulled away. The major change was something you subsequently did any (progress indicator - in library/in book).

I believe the Nook app also provides syncing across devices - it certainly does between the app and a Nook device, so I assume it does between apps too.

Of course, the Nook app isn't on the list. ;-)
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredipusRex View Post
Of course, the Nook app isn't on the list. ;-)
You should add it right now! ;-)
Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Jayvee
Antipodean
Jayvee began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Beyond print is worth a look. I am currently using ShuBook but still haven't made up my mind about a replacement for Stanza.
Jayvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Nice work on the comparison charts. Perhaps a column could be added somewhere to note if there is a "sister app" that runs under OSX (such as Kindle) and if highlights/marks and location are synced between iOS and OSX and where the info is hosted (i.e.; Kindle account on Amazon)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Nice work on the comparison charts. Perhaps a column could be added somewhere to note if there is a "sister app" that runs under OSX (such as Kindle) and if highlights/marks and location are synced between iOS and OSX and where the info is hosted (i.e.; Kindle account on Amazon)
Yes, sounds good. I'd say that should be a table on its own, though, to a) prevent the other tables from becoming excessively broad and b) to be able to add specifications for what exactly is synchronised and, as you pointed out, the storage backend and whatever else might be interesting.

I've no idea myself about these subjects, though, but as you seem knowledgeable about them, I think it would be really great if you went ahead and added them to the comparison.

(Don't be scared about Wikipedia's syntax, btw. It's really easy to learn and you could just copy one of the existing tables and use "Preview changes" to see if it looks good. And if it doesn't, don't despair - things can always be improved upon by anyone; after all, that's part of what Wikipedia is about.)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
-snip-
I've no idea myself about these subjects, though, but as you seem knowledgeable about them, I think it would be really great if you went ahead and added them to the comparison.-snip-
I knew that was coming

Seriously, the charts are fantastic. I'll perhaps give it a try though the list of "sister apps" will be extremely short.

Question... in the "Book Source Management" chart what does "local books" indicate? (maybe I'm missing the obvious?)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote