Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Bluefire reader app

new app has been released. it supports drmed epub and side-loading through itunes. so far seems to be good.

http://appshopper.com/books/bluefire-reader
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Bluefire is at Frankfurt Fair today - Hall 6 D935
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bluefire Reader supports ePub PDF, and Adobe ACS4 DRM. Now in App Store.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Doesn't seem to support Overdrive books, unfortunately.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Wow, and it's free too. I finally get to read my Sony books on the iPod Touch!
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
kkay5
kkay5 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N eReader
Darn! I got my hopes up for a second that I would be able to read my library books on my iPod Touch. I tried sideloading a library book on my iPod, but the app didn't recognize it.

ETA: I got the book to show up, but when I try to open the book, it says access is denied to this item. Too bad!

Last edited by kkay5; 10-10-2010 at 09:36 AM.
kkay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Your Library books may not be transferrable to enable the "early return" option. To read them in BFR, you would need to download them directly to the device. This is possible with BFR, but unfortunately at present this requires that a library make a specific type of link to do that (easy to do, but Libraries are not particularly nimble at times). We have an idea that may work so that they don't have to do that. May be in the first update (very soon). I'll post on that as I know more.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

@kkay5: I hear you. We will work hard to get better library support ASAP. It has been a big self funded project for our small team, (almost a year now) and we wanted to get it out in the hands of folks asap. We plan to improve on it quickly. This is why we went with html in get books, so we can improve that almost daily.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

@murraypaul: When you say overdrive books do you mean Library? Or from an online retailer. The former issue may be addressed above, and the latter *should* work.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
@murraypaul: When you say overdrive books do you mean Library? Or from an online retailer. The former issue may be addressed above, and the latter *should* work.
Library (time limited) books.
It is only remaining gap in the iPad reading lineup.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Some quick feedback.
Seems professionally put together, and sensibly laid out.
Like the various margin settings and the justification option.
Not enough fonts or font size settings, and biggest size is too small.
While the colour selector is flexible, it is also fiddly, could do with a bank of standard colours to select from as well.
Page turns have an annoying delay, it is like reading on an eInk device.
Night mode does not interact well with the colour selector. Night mode seems to force greyscale, so I can't have yellow on black, which is my preferred settings. If I choose yellow on black non-night mode, the screen flashes to white when switching pages. (More eInk!)
At this point, for non-DRM ePub I don't see myself using this over Stanza, which is a lot more flexible, but for DRM ePub it is much easier than txtr to get books into, and generally designed better as an iOS app.
So I think this would replace txtr, but not yet replace Stanza.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-10-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with everything you say. Working hard to make it better. Several of your suggestions are already on my "hot list" for the very next update, which (I hope) will be weeks rather than months away. A couple comments:
Fonts: It was hard to tell in advance how big the download size would be after apple encrypts the app (impacts compression). Ends up we have some good breathing room, so next update we'll put in more fonts (suggestions are welcome, but know that we use .otf). We plan to allow users to import their own fonts (otf) not sure yet though if that will make the very next update, but it is easier than it sounds.
Color: Yea, that color selector is something we happened to have. I want a color wheel.
Page Turn response: This is a hard one, and you'll see similar issues in PDF related to interaction freeze while re-rendering. I think we can do better, but probably not a quick fix.
Night Mode: totally ghetto inverted greyscale. images look like negatives. We had very hard arguments about whether to pull it. But it actually really helps for night reading. Another one that will take some time. Though I think we might be able to address the flashing and color settings related issues pretty quick though. When we do, I think we should pull out the inverted mode.

Thanks again for your feedback. We really do want to make it a great app.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

I'm a mobileRead noob (using it that is, I've been reading it for years). Can I have it email me when people post to certain Threads?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I would love to see the ability to make some sort of collections on the app itself.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I'm a mobileRead noob (using it that is, I've been reading it for years). Can I have it email me when people post to certain Threads?
Click the dropdown by Thread Tools and choose Subscribe to this Thread.