Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Red face Help a newbie?

I've just bought a jetbook, and I have no clear idea of what format to choose when buying ebooks. I thought I could use Mobi and bought one at Fictionwise, but when I wanted to download it I was asked for a PID, which apparently jetbook doesn't have? (From the research I've tried to do it looks like it, anyway?)

This is my first foray into actually buying a newish book; up to this point I've only downloaded classics (mostly from here) already formatted for the particular device.

Is there a way to understand all this in vewwwwy simple language? My head spins with all the learned technical (to me, anyway) posts here.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, pendragginp

According to our wiki page,

The ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader supports TXT, PDF, FB2, ePUB, MOBI/PRC,

Here is the link.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JetBook

Don't hesitate to ask more questions
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
The only thing to watch for

You have no problem using any of the formats listed on your JB, but watch out for DRM books.

At this time there is a problem with Digital Rights Management ebooks from different sources. You can not read DRM books from Amazon or Sony on your JB at this time. There is a version of the Barnes and Noble that you can use on your Jetbook Lite and soon the JB.

If you have any questions about the source of locked books please ask here before you purchase and I am sure one of the users will be glad to answer your questions if a particular supplier is compatible.

This changes as new versions of the JB operating systems are released. Ectaco is working hard to make the unit compatible with as many sources of reading material as fast as they can.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Welcome pendragginp!

The jetBook has support for 11 formats as of now. The jetBook LITE has the Barnes and Noble DRM where you can download books from Fictionwise and BN. Try steering clear of Mobi, but everything else should work great.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much, everybody.

The book I bought was Secure Mobi format - is that DRM then?

Of course the ONE format I shouldn't have chosen would be the one I did blunder into!

So all the other formats should be useable? And what about this PID thing? I gather that's something Jetbook doesn't have?

Thanks again for all your help. I've really learned so much reading here the last few months.
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
You want 'Multiformat' from Fictionwise and avoid anything with 'Secure' it it from them (until DRM issues are fixed/added).

Secure Mobi has DRM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Does JB Original read .html?
I've been resetting my JB so frequently of late I don't want to risk another one.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
pendragginp
Guru

Thanks, artifact. =)
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

I am eagerly awaiting the DRM upgrade for the JB. How well this is implemented will help me decide on getting a Kindle or not.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Does JB Original read .html?
I've been resetting my JB so frequently of late I don't want to risk another one.
yes, jetBook (new firmware ) and jetBook-Lite read HTML files.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
pendragginp
Guru

Quote:
I am eagerly awaiting the DRM upgrade for the JB
Yes, I am too. Does anyone know if we should expect this soon?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
last word

Yes according to Ectaco very soon
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote