Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
there are similar technologies available to Amazon and other ebook reader manufacturers/sellers in the 6inch size

edit to add link for previous thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=drop

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 09-13-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #17
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Interesting, that's one of the feature I would like to see in the new Kindle along with higher resolution. I wonder if Plastic Logic's device use the IR technology for the touch screen...What I don't like about this technology is the screen is a bit deeper in the bezel (comparing Kindle 3 to the Sony PRS 650, I prefer the screen being more "on top").
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #18
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
10.7 inch, unbreakable, IR touch ... nice. WinCE-based? Less so. Well, let's see who else build upon that hardware (WLAN would be nice). Interesting times ahead.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #19
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I much prefer the actual link since embedded YouTube doesn't allow full screen.
It does on some systems (e.g. the iPad).

I like the way these are manufactured by ninjas (1:40)
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #20
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
10.7 inch, unbreakable, IR touch ... nice. WinCE-based? Less so. Well, let's see who else build upon that hardware (WLAN would be nice). Interesting times ahead.
Well one reason to use CE is the same reason Kindle has had a rough time in educational trials. Thats PDF mark-up and annotation support.

What about CE makes you see it as less desirable?
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
The hackability factor, mainly. And a healthy prejudice towards all operating systems coming out of Redmond, but I'm willing to work on that if required.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #22
Thierry.C
Connoisseur
Thierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura about

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
But with a wholesale price (12000 rubles = £250/€291) that's already about twice as much as current 6" readers at retail with tax I foresee a limited market.
The surface of a 4:3, 10.7" screen is more than three times bigger than the one of a 16:10, 6" screen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
How many are going to buy this at the £300-350 it would cost after tax and retail markup?
Other 9.7" e-readers are priced as high or even higher than that, right?

Furthermore, I see some advantages for this one : bigger screen, resistant (a priori), lightweight, thin, finger-touch (but no digitizer...).
Maybe it's lacking Wifi and a micro-SD expansion slot but it has to have some drawbacks, too, in order to stimulate the competition, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
Specs look impressive.
I would definitely buy one if they release this product for consumers. I lost my hope waiting for a good 9.7" eink reader.

Anyone knows if Plastic Logic intends to sell it outside Russia?
I've nothing against Cyrillic fonts, but I would have some difficulties...

Thierry
Thierry.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #23
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry.C View Post
Anyone knows if Plastic Logic intends to sell it outside Russia?
I've nothing against Cyrillic fonts, but I would have some difficulties...

Thierry
Unfortunately, it is either Cyrillic fonts or Chinese hieroglyphs.
The choice is yours.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
Dulin's Books
Wizard

The articles already talk about the the availability of English menus/interface. The problem will be if they even intend to sell this version outside of Russian schools. It may be that the program limits where they can be purchased from so that it will be hard to get one except for school use. might have to find one of those teachers who received them who would be willing to "lose" theirs
Old 09-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #25
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
...It may be that the program limits where they can be purchased from so that it will be hard to get one except for school use. might have to find one of those teachers who received them who would be willing to "lose" theirs
with a factory not far from Moscow, the distribution channels would be much wider

But would it worth it?

Last edited by eLiNK; 09-15-2011 at 12:05 PM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #26
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
This looks really cool. Hopefully they come stateside.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #27
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Are they getting some sort of deal/subsidy from the Russian govt?

I guess the US is broke, so we're not getting it
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Correct. Plastic Logic claim to fame is the ability to create plastic transistors. Using that tech they have been able to create and now manufacture plastic tft backplanes for displays. they marry their flexible plastic tft's to Einks front planes at their display production facility in Dresden Germany. They have recently been heavily financed by Rusnano and will break ground on a new facility in Zelenograd, Russia very soon
Ah, so there's the tie-in. Got it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #29
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
To breath a little life into this thread again, some more videos have been put on YT of the PL 100: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PZis...eature=related

Last night I contacted Plastic Logic asking when this will come out in Europe. For me it would be perfect. I would use my laptop for downloading and writing stuff, and then read it on this device, and make annotations where necessary.

I'll be back here if I get a response from PL.

It looks really sturdy, here a guy is even slamming the screen against the hard sharp corner of a table: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVr6v...eature=related

I wonder if one could scibble on it using a stylus instead of one's finger. The latter can be done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNfv...eature=related

Last edited by Lode; 01-22-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
Unfortunately, it is either Cyrillic fonts or Chinese hieroglyphs.
The choice is yours.
Hieroglyphs are used in relation to ancient Egyptian writing, Chinese (and Japanese) orthography are usually called ideographs.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote