Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #136
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
The sales tax is charged by B&N, not the forwarder. I'm no expert in tax, what with living in a tax-free country and all, but I assume B&N charges sales tax on all online sales, maybe?

Alternatively, maybe B&N charges sales tax because their own warehouses are located in states with tax?

Either way, the point is if you buy online and use a freight forwarder, you will have to pay tax.
There are 5 US states that have no (or limited) sales taxes. Delaware being one of them. So most things purchased in or delivered to these states would not be charged sales tax. There are some exceptions like gasoline, hotel, restaurants, etc but the Nook isnt one of them.

Considering the purpose of forwarders is to ship products overseas economically being in a tax-free state would be a plus.
Of course, there could be other reasons they dont use these states.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #137
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure why freight forwarders (that's a mouthful; how about we just call them FFs from now on?) aren't located in Delaware or a similar place. I assume they simply chose to locate in larger and more populated states like NY because they expect more business. FFs aren't just for online sales. They probably expect sales from locals, as well, so locating in a city/state that has a large population (specially a large population of foreigners) seems like a good idea. Or maybe they just didn't think of it...

But yeah, I agree that's a good idea. No sales tax would certainly be helpful.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #138
ebioman
Enthusiast
ebioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
One question:

I checked this threat since I wanted to order as well one with international shipping. Did ANY of you actually receive finally its international order ?

Ah yes, and does anybody by chance has an idea about tax/order price for Switzerland ?

Cheers
ebioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #139
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Thanks for the info.

But yeah, I agree that's a good idea. No sales tax would certainly be helpful.
You're welcome

I believe Usunlocked is based in New Jersey with 7% sales tax. It's just across the river from Delaware. So there must have be a good reason they dont use a Delaware address for shipping purposes.

Wait a sec. Being that I live in NJ I benefit from the extra sales tax collected. Never mind. I dont want them in Delaware
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #140
bot
bot began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I live in Toronto and I havent received my nook. Im guessing they did recall their shipments.
bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #141
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebioman View Post
One question:

I checked this threat since I wanted to order as well one with international shipping. Did ANY of you actually receive finally its international order ?

Ah yes, and does anybody by chance has an idea about tax/order price for Switzerland ?

Cheers
Who threatened you?

As far as the international orders go, I don't think anyone will be getting theirs from B&N. They've made it quite clear that the nook is not for sale outside of US. The day we all made the orders happened to be a little glitch that was soon fixed.

You could always go the FF route, though.

(Sorry, can't help with the Swiss rates, except to say that you should check with your local Customs office and/or local courier/shipping companies in your area. I'm sure they can help you out; it's their job to know such things.)
Old 06-30-2010, 02:50 AM   #142
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Well now that it was clear that they wouldn't ship it internationally, even with me, I emailed them requesting a *full* refund. They came back saying that their records show my order being fully cancelled refunded.
What do I do now?!?!?!!?
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #143
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Well now that it was clear that they wouldn't ship it internationally, even with me, I emailed them requesting a *full* refund. They came back saying that their records show my order being fully cancelled refunded.
What do I do now?!?!?!!?
I think your first step would be to get B & N to tell you the date of the refund and also the amount. Then obtain a statement for your card, and see if there was a B & N credit for that day. If not, ask for an explanation, and tell them that if the explanation is unsatisfactory, then you will seek to have the charge reversed by your bank or card issuer, which I believe you can still do in Oz.

Any reversal of charges in this manner is not viewed favorably by the issuing authority, and the finger is pointed directly at the charging company, in this case B & N.

However, I would suggest all will sort itself prior to you having to approach your bank.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #144
harakka
harakka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
What do I do now?!?!?!!?
I'm basically in a similar situation as you are. I've been sending e-mails and e-mails getting always an automatic response which always says they've fully refunded the order (which is false). Luckily I paid via paypal and I just escalated my case to a claim for investigation, let's see what happens next. You could also give them a call and ask...
harakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #145
afa
The Forgotten

Good news for those worried about the cancelled orders.

I, too, placed an international order for the nook that was subsequently cancelled by B&N. The order was placed on June 22, and up until yesterday my PayPal status was still "Pending". I was starting to get worried that there was some confusion and I might end up being charged.

Well, I just checked my PayPal now, and my status has (finally) been changed to "Cancelled". Took a few days, but it got there eventually. So I would suggest you guys hang in there for a bit.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with you sending PayPal an email clarifying the situation* but, as Metal Mick said, it will likely sort itself out in time. You're not dealing with a mom-and-pop outfit here, nor a shady individual from eBay. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar outfit. They've undoubtedly encountered thousands of cancelled orders. You can trust that they know what they're doing.**

* Which I did a couple of days ago, but have yet to hear back.
** To an extent. Of course, the fact that they allowed international orders in the first place belies that...
Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #146
Shadar
Shadar began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (possibly...)
As for the missing refunds, I have called B&N regarding this and after 15 mins on the phone to someone who sounded like she was on MSN to whoever was able to ask questions (thankfully I used Skype) and said 'One Moment Please' 19 times I was told that it had been done and I should check with Paypal.

I called Paypal and after getting through the automated system got a very helpful guy on the phone who was able to give me a 100% guarantee that B&N had not refunded anything but the shipping and hadn't made any more transactions on my account.

I then called B&N AGAIN and after another 15 mins with a different person (being able to tell them that Paypal said there was nothing pending, going through the system, etc was invaluable) it has been 'escalated' I have been promised an email or phone call within 24 hours.

I didn't even want the money back, if they had been in any way useful I was going to get them to send my nook to a friend in CA to bring over to me in a couple of weeks...

Do I still want the bloody thing?
Shadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 AM   #147
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadar View Post
I called Paypal and after getting through the automated system got a very helpful guy on the phone who was able to give me a 100% guarantee that B&N had not refunded anything but the shipping and hadn't made any more transactions on my account.
What is/was the payment status on your PayPal account?

Quote:
I didn't even want the money back, if they had been in any way useful I was going to get them to send my nook to a friend in CA to bring over to me in a couple of weeks...
Actually, you couldn't. B&N don't ship the nook to Canada, either. It's US or bust.

*EDIT* Whoops! Just realised you probably meant California, and not Canada. My bad.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #148
usualsuspect
usualsuspect began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, Archos 101, ZTE Blade
I am from Australia and I have had the same issues with the Nook wifi. I ordered it and then received the emails saying that it had been shipped. Then I got the email saying it had been cancelled with the money refunded. Then another email saying it was shipped!.

I checked my credit card the next day and yes there was a refund but only for the nook itself and not for shipping. Which means they still owe me $15 aus. I then checked my paypal account and there are numerous transactions including a full refund transaction and then a new transaction for a nook without shipping and then a subsequent refund without shipping.

Fair enough they made a mistake but there should only be 1 shipping email, 1 cancellation email and 1 refund for the full amount. Not numerous emails saying it has been shipped and then extra transactions for another nook without shipping.

Also for the emails that say that "Your order has been shipped" in the subject field, check the body of the email and you will find it says: "Your order is all packed and ready to ship" this is rather misleading. I expected better service from a billion dollar company.

Also I checked my "order status" on the Barnes and Noble website and it doesn't say that the transaction has been cancelled it says shipping status: Shipped on: June 23, 2010.

Last edited by usualsuspect; 06-30-2010 at 05:47 AM.
usualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #149
afa
The Forgotten

Hmmm...

Perhaps I should retract my "You can trust that they know what they're doing" comment...
Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 AM   #150
Shadar
Shadar began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (possibly...)
Quote:
What is/was the payment status on your PayPal account?
Is and was Partially Refunded. And yes, I meant California
Shadar is offline   Reply With Quote