Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #46
kcar08
kcar08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, ebookwise
I am having a problem with Fictionwise. I used to have my PID for my kindle in my list of mobipocket devices. I could download books, run kindlefix.py, and read them fine on my kindle. Then, one day, my kindle PID was deleted (with no action on my part). Now, when I try to re-enter it, it will not save.

I asked fictionwise support, and they say that my PID is not valid because of the asterisk. I understand that kindle PIDs have the asterisk, but desktop ones do not.

I guess I am just frustrated because this USED to work, but now it does not. And Fictionwise will not help me because they say the PID is invalid.

I tried putting in my laptop PID, and then kindlefix won't work (because the PID does not have an asterisk).

I have purchased multiformat books from fictionwise which work fine, but the problem is that many of the books I want are not in multiformat. I have a bunch of credit at fictionwise that I want to use rather than go buy books at other retailers who will let me use my kindle PID.

What are my options, if any, for books from fictionwise?
kcar08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wonder if anyone has tried putting in their Kindle PID as a $ instead.. or just putting in the first 8 characters. From looking at the kindelfix code I think you can just enter the first 8 chars to run it...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #48
kcar08

Thanks, Bob - I will try that. I have kindlefix on my laptop (I couldn't get it working on my desktop) so will try when I get home.

I have to say thanks to this forum I was able to get kindlefix working. I'm hopeful things will work out and I can read my books again.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcar08 View Post
Thanks, Bob - I will try that. I have kindlefix on my laptop (I couldn't get it working on my desktop) so will try when I get home.

I have to say thanks to this forum I was able to get kindlefix working. I'm hopeful things will work out and I can read my books again.
It may not work, and it sounds like Mobipocket/Amazon has closed this little loophole. Heck, its not hard to find people are doing it if you do a little google search.

That said, there are two other options.

1. Use mobidedrm instead to remove the DRM of your PC's PID.

2. Buy from a place like BoB that also uses overdrive servers which I believe still accept/work with the Kindle PIDs.

Good luck... please report back.

BOb
Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #50
KindleGirl
KindleGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Palm Centro
Why did you buy a Kindle when it plainly states on the product page it's for the U.S. only? Seems to me had you bought a European friendly reader you'd have saved yourself a lot of trouble and aggravation and you'd be happily reading now! <--that's a smile!
KindleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #51
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleGirl View Post
Why did you buy a Kindle when it plainly states on the product page it's for the U.S. only? Seems to me had you bought a European friendly reader you'd have saved yourself a lot of trouble and aggravation and you'd be happily reading now! <--that's a smile!
Just a bit of information. He was put through the wringer for his on the Amazon boards. When he opted to keep his Kindle (there are many people around the world using Kindles), I suggested that he post here for help.

No need to cover that ground again.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #52
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleGirl View Post
Why does anyone care "why" someone outside of the US buys a Kindle?? Is understanding someone's motivation going to help them with the problem??

I'm always a little curious when I see one of these "why on earth did you do that .... " sort of posts. They don't seem to be particularly helpful, they don't seem to add anything to the discussion ... unless you are a psychology major working on a study of Kindle buyers with a focus on purchases made outside of the United States.

Assuming that the buyer was able to purchase it using a US credit card and a US billing address, it shouldn't matter where in great googly moogly they actually are, because otherwise Kindle owners wouldn't be able to purchase books while traveling and outside of Whispernet range.

Cut the guy some slack. Sheesh.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am having a problem with Fictionwise. I used to have my PID for my kindle in my list of mobipocket devices. I could download books, run kindlefix.py, and read them fine on my kindle. Then, one day, my kindle PID was deleted (with no action on my part). Now, when I try to re-enter it, it will not save.

I asked fictionwise support, and they say that my PID is not valid because of the asterisk. I understand that kindle PIDs have the asterisk, but desktop ones do not.
It's not FW's doing, but MobiPocket - they've changed the software on their DRM servers (which FW and almost all other Mobi retailers use) and prevented a Kindle PID from working.

I'm afraid you'll just have to read the book on a "real" MobiPocket device, such as your PC, or PDA (if you have one).

In the future, buy books in Microsoft Reader (LIT) format - they can easily be converted to be readable on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the future, buy books in Microsoft Reader (LIT) format - they can easily be converted to be readable on the Kindle.
So can Mobipocket eBooks be easily converted. In fact easier. But that's only if you have MobiDeDRM.py version 0.04.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #55
kcar08

Thanks for all of the advice. I tried am indeed out of luck with kindlefix and fictionwise secure mobi books. I was able to get mobidedrm to work but it wasn't easy for me. I won't be buying anything from fictionwise after I use my credits up. Unfortunately I have a lot of them to use up.

Is there some LIT to kindle program that is easier than mobidedrm? Please email or PM me if it isn't appropriate to discuss on the forum - I'm new here and don't want to break any rules.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there some LIT to kindle program that is easier than mobidedrm? Please email or PM me if it isn't appropriate to discuss on the forum - I'm new here and don't want to break any rules.
Now that you have done it once and have all the right software in place it should be simple now. However, convertLIT is basically the same as mobidedrm. But you need to do an extra step of converting the LIT to mobi.

BOb