Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #6601
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
My french is quite rusty and I was never good at it, but as far as I know it means something like 'Storm Notice'. Tempête is storm, Avis is a notice. It appears the french audiobook of Storm Front. I do not know if Jim has any saying in the art used, but this really is one of the worst I have seen...
I agree. The coat is terrible.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #6602
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jim Butcher Q&A Skokie Barnes and Noble Oct 1, 2015

Jenny McNaughton

Published on Oct 1, 2015

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #6603
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim's Kitty is a readhead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Man, I'm an absolute sucker for a redhead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Apparently, so is Jim...

If we are talking about redheads, there is only one that puts a smile to my face...
Quote:
It's a psychological phenomenon.

Yup, a psychological phenomenon . . . SIGH

Last edited by alansplace; 10-07-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #6604
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher - Powell's Q&A

Quote:

Question: What is your favorite indulgence, either wicked or benign?

Jim: I'm a video game addict. No, not a nerdy guy who plays games a lot. An addict. Only that's not the right word because I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM AND I CAN QUIT ANY TIME I WANT.

I've quit sixteen times in this year alone!

I've got multiple high level characters on Everquest and City of Heroes/Villains. I'm a Major in Battlefield II and a Brigadier General in Battlefield 2142! Do you have any idea what that means? One more rank, and I get to be... drum roll... a MAJOR. GENERAL.

Yes, yes. A Major General!

I'll be the very model of a modern major general; I'll have information vegetable, animal, and mineral; I'll know the Kings of England, and I'll quote the facts historical, from Marathon to Waterloo in order categoric— You get the picture.
Quoted from Powell's Books

Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #6605
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Fan Art - The Ladies of the Fairy Courts

..Fan Art - The Ladies of the Fairy Courts

Advert
Old 10-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #6606
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Aeronaut's Windlass

Hate to repeat what others have already said, but I am now officially done reading Aeronaut's Windlass. Slower than most everybody else, maybe, but finished at last.

A few things: What an interesting style of writing - even the boring stuff (what boring stuff?) is entertaining. Actually most boring stuff without action is key to success - the dialogue. Jim gets away with continually lecturing us, explaining thing, but without being that talking head. No Bob the Skull here. He explains it by one person telling it to someone else.

I have one questions that boggles my mind. Well actually quite a few. But this one is a mystery:
Spoiler:
How did Mirl get from Hubble Morning to Hubble Landing? I know I know, it is through them transport staircases from one hubble to the next. But how and why? She quite literally disappears in chapter 6 and doesn't resurface until chapter 44.

Another thing of interest:
Spoiler:
Is Rowl with a missing tail exactly Mister? They are both 30 pounds - it was mentioned exactly once if I remember right, and that was at location 6433 on Kindle (towards the end of Chapter 55). Strange coincidence. And Rowl is not even the biggest Cat.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #6607
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Hate to repeat what others have already said, but I am now officially done reading Aeronaut's Windlass. Slower than most everybody else, maybe, but finished at last.

A few things: What an interesting style of writing - even the boring stuff (what boring stuff?) is entertaining. Actually most boring stuff without action is key to success - the dialogue. Jim gets away with continually lecturing us, explaining thing, but without being that talking head. No Bob the Skull here. He explains it by one person telling it to someone else.

I have one questions that boggles my mind. Well actually quite a few. But this one is a mystery:
Spoiler:
How did Mirl get from Hubble Morning to Hubble Landing? I know I know, it is through them transport staircases from one hubble to the next. But how and why? She quite literally disappears in chapter 6 and doesn't resurface until chapter 44.
Those are "habble"s.

Quote:
Another thing of interest:
Spoiler:
Is Rowl with a missing tail exactly Mister? They are both 30 pounds - it was mentioned exactly once if I remember right, and that was at location 6433 on Kindle (towards the end of Chapter 55). Strange coincidence. And Rowl is not even the biggest Cat.
Spoiler:
Obviously the subject of a crossover short story.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #6608
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Those are "habble"s.
Ahh thank you for that. Maybe my book has typos, or my reading comprehension suffered.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Obviously the subject of a crossover short story.
Spoiler:
Great answer, makes sense, leaves potential.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #6609
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Spoiler:
Great answer, makes sense, leaves potential.
Well, you can take it as a joke or as a serious suggestion, but I actually would kind of like to see it happen for real.
If Jim could pull it off, for sure.
(I'm not sure how, but maybe that's because I'm not an author. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #6610
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, you can take it as a joke or as a serious suggestion, but I actually would kind of like to see it happen for real.
If Jim could pull it off, for sure.
(I'm not sure how, but maybe that's because I'm not an author. )
It would be a stretch, as going from ginger to grey is hard to explain. But who knows how one loses a tail. Maybe old cat, but I haven't heard of cats becoming grey as they age.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #6611
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Let's play favourite quote ...

If there was only one quote out of The Aeronaut's Windlass which is your favourite, which one would it be?

As I just created this game I go first, obviously.

My quote I picked from chapter 56 (Kindle loc 6475):
Spoiler:

Each creature had something it excelled at, he supposed. Humans could manage knots easily, and cats could do everything else.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #6612
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool new series launches

Jim Butcher's new series launches with THE AERONAUT'S WINDLASS debuting at #5 on the NYT List and #7 on USA Today!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #6613
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool An Interview with Jim Butcher

Quote:
An Interview with Jim Butcher

This month we selected Jim Butcher’s newest fantasy release, The Aeronaut’s Windlass, as a Best Book in Science Fiction and Fantasy. When Butcher was in town, he told us about his childhood as a reader and the excitement of LARPing, and why he likes to alternate between his high fantasy books and his Harry Dresden urban fantasy series . . . Read the review here
Old 10-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #6614
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim's fiancé involved in Cosplay Controversy at Denver Comic Con

Quote:

Cosplay Controversy - Denver Comic Con 2015

Sean Caspian

Published on Jun 3, 2015

Cosplayers and con-goers! There is some controversy in the con scene where cosplayers are being singled out for their costumes being too revealing. I interview A good cosplayer friend of mine Kitty Krell who experienced this at Denver Comic Con 2015. Let's stop this before it goes too far and bans more cosplayers. Check it out, and please share this video, and talk to your local cons about making sure cosplayers are free to express their art.
Here's the picture that Kitty's costume emulates - quite accurately!!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-08-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #6615
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Nice interview. So Jim is a LARP addict, a video game addict, and a reading addict. Wonder when he got time to write books. There is only 24 hours in a day.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy