Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #31
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Halfway through: Dragon Avenger. I feel the book is a copy of the first one: Dragon Champion, so I would not recommend it. It doesn't add anything new and I fail to feel captivated by the story. On the other hand with the Temeraire series I felt with the characters and couldn't wait to read the sequels.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If your interested, a free dragon book:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80353
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Dragon Knights series by Bianca Darc .... (nb erotica)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #34
lib2b
lib2b began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
My wife just read Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley, and enjoyed it. We got it from Fictionwise.
I'd like to second this recommendation - I really enjoyed it.

I also second/third/etc. the Temeraire books. The human characters are nothing special, but I really enjoyed the dragons in them.

When I was in high school, I really liked the trilogy by Melanie Rawn that began with Dragon Prince. I was in high school though, and that was quite awhile ago, so I don't know if I'd trust my judgement today . There are some books that I loved in high school that I still love today, and some that upon re-reading many years later I wonder what I was thinking; having not read these since high school, I'm not sure if this series would fall under the former or latter category.
lib2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #35
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The next book in the Temeraire series is now available for preorder from Amazon, available on July 13, 2010: Tongues of Serpents
Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #36
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excuse me whilst I vent ....

$19.98 for the Kindle Version ...

$16.50 for the hardback !
Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #37
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Excuse me whilst I vent ....
$19.98 for the Kindle Version ...
$16.50 for the hardback !
I saw it on the U.S Amazon site for $15.00 (Kindle price) perhaps that is if you preorder?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #38
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I saw it on the U.S Amazon site for $15.00 (Kindle price) perhaps that is if you preorder?

Okay, I just followed the link that was posted and gasped at the difference in price - though why I'm surprised I don't know....
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #39
thinkpad
David

Here previous books in the series has gone down to $6.39. I don't think it's unfair with a price of $15 when it's released. But I agree I wouldn't pay more for an ebook than I do for a paper-book.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-18-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #40
GeoffC

Your original link still shows the prices I quoted; why are they different to the prices at #39?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #41
thinkpad
David

Strange. Are you being redirected to the UK page? When I click the link I'm taken to the page where the price is set to $15.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #42
GeoffC

Interesting, no - it's definitely the amazon.COM version ... - perhaps I've cahed it somewhere ....
Old 04-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #43
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I can't let this question go by without pointing out my own two science fiction (not fantasy) dragon novels, Dragons in the Stars and Dragon Rigger. They're both in ebook, multiformat. (They're in most of the ebook stores, but I recommend either fictionwise or webscription for DRM-free versions.) You can read the short story that the first book was based on, "Though All the Mountains Lie Between," on my website for free.

My family also really enjoyed Patricia Wrede's series, which I believe started with Dealing with Dragons. And Jane Yolen wrote a good YA trilogy, the Pit Dragon series.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Interesting, no - it's definitely the amazon.COM version ... - perhaps I've cahed it somewhere ....
Your location is set to the UK. Try logging out and using an US proxy...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #45
thinkpad
David

The last 2 books in the Temeraire-series was a disappointment for me, but I've found a new author that I enjoy more.

E.M Sinclair has a whole series about dragons. The first book is free.
Soul Bonds Book 1 Circles of Light series
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/146078

If you're having trouble remembering names/places this book is perhaps not so easy since there's a lot of places and names to remember, especially in the following books.
I'm currently on book 3 in the series and I still find the story interesting.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-14-2012 at 05:37 AM.