Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Theta Head
Theta Head
Theta Head began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Where to promote for kobo?

Hi,

I am an author and trying to do some promotion, and I was wondering where you would recomend promoting for Kobo books? I have done a number of searches and nothing has come up. Which is odd. Any ideas where an author might promote his book for the kobo site?

Regards

Greg Dawe
author of Theta Head - a neuroscience thriller
gregdawe.com
Theta Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Well, far be it for me to say something about the cart before the horse, but it might help if you actually had an e-book for sale at Kobobooks or the Kindle store at Amazon.

And, as far as I can see, there isn't an e-Pub or mobi edition of the book for sale even on your own website.

While I may know nothing about neuroscience, when it comes to rocket science marketing I can assure you it's always a good idea to have a product for sale before searching for it at an online e-book store.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Well, far be it for me to say something about the cart before the horse, but it might help if you actually had an e-book for sale at Kobobooks or the Kindle store at Amazon.

And, as far as I can see, there isn't an e-Pub or mobi edition of the book for sale even on your own website.

While I may know nothing about neuroscience, when it comes to rocket science marketing I can assure you it's always a good idea to have a product for sale before searching for it at an online e-book store.
@Sensual, Yikes, rude much?

@Theta, I'm not sure where you would go for promotion. Sorry. Why not try e-mailing their help desk? They could probably give you direction.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Sensual is like that British nanny on tv. She wants to straighten everyone out. The British nanny is a little more diplomatic from what I have witnessed.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Greg - I've downloaded your first six chapters because it sounds like it might be an interesting read. You might do well to poke through the Authors threads to get a feel for how others have approached ebook marketing. It's not yet clear that you are aiming at the ebook market. Although Caffeine Nights Pub. says it does all forms of digital publishing, the only book I see looks like a POD; an attractive one, but not digital. You might also look at www.closed-circle.net, somewhere there I think cj Cherryh talks about her process, although it may be buried in her blog instead. If you think I'm saying perhaps you should start smaller than Amazon or Kobo, you're right.

Best of Luck - I'm looking forward to your sample.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Sensual is like that British nanny on tv. She wants to straighten everyone out. The British nanny is a little more diplomatic from what I have witnessed.
I think Fran Drescher as the Nanny was more diplomatic...
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I apologize to Greg and the others here for sounding rude or harsh.

I went to the author's website, to Kobobooks and to the Kindle store at Amazon and I cannot find an e-book for sale from Greg. I don't see there is any Kobo book to promote -- which is the question that is posted.

For promoting an indie author in general, there is a wealth of stuff here on Mobileread, with Pholy offering a starting point.

PS - Sensualpoet is a he "nanny" not a she "nanny".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Theta Head
Theta Head

Thanks for your replies. Every little helps... even nanny... which is better than being a ninny.

I should have perhaps said that my book only came out a few days ago and indeed so far it is only on amazon. It will be on kobo in a few weeks, but as a British Indie it won't be on the Kindle for a wee while. I am an author, not the publisher, and don't know why exactly.

I was trying to get ahead of the curve when asking whether there were any places I could promote specifically for the kobo site, because again I have searched and found nothing... which means there is a market there for a 'Promote on Kobo' ebook! Maybe I'll write it. If only I could find some info on it...

If anyone's interested I'm doing some marketing and my publisher is doing some marketing. As I reasearched my book and know my target audience, I then pass this info on to my publisher and as a media man he makes the approach. It's worked well so far and I've found that from my side, every 15 or so emails I send out to get reviews etc get 2 or 3 replies, with only 1 turning into something concrete. Hard going stats!

Cheers

Greg
gregdawe.com
Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta Head View Post
Hi,

I am an author and trying to do some promotion, and I was wondering where you would recomend promoting for Kobo books? I have done a number of searches and nothing has come up. Which is odd. Any ideas where an author might promote his book for the kobo site?

Regards

Greg Dawe
author of Theta Head - a neuroscience thriller
gregdawe.com
Maybe here? With a link to a place of purchase?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hi Greg: My own wee house is registered now in Canada and for ten years before that was UK-based. The problem your publisher is facing, I think, is that the huge new online ebook stores (Amazon, Sony, Barnes & Noble, Apple, et al) disqualify publishers without an 'official' US presence. We've been working with a US lawyer and an accountant this year to register -- at least on paper -- a legal US sub-division to get around this.

Kobo, though, is Canada-based and I don't think Cafeine Nights Publishing would have much trouble with their store.

I'm pretty sure that your publisher is an old pal of mine (Darren L ... if I'm right, then you know his surname). Suggest to him uploading Cafeine Nights titles to Smashwords.com in California. This is how we're currently getting our work into the new ebook stores.

You simply adjust your conditions page to include the line 'Smashwords Edition' and this gives you that 'official' US presence you need. Smashwords will auto-convert from corrected Word.doc source into nine digital formats (you will need a SINGLE ISBN to cover all ebook versions) and will then put Cafeine Nights' books up for sale on its own website and distribute to all the main players in the particular formats they demand.

Smashwords takes only 18% of cover price. Of course, regular retail commissions apply for third-party sales. One snag is that the US Inland Revenue Service has now taken an interest and that Smashwords must withhold 30% tax at source. The UK, however, does have a 'treaty' with the IRS and Cafeine Nights can establish their right to examption from tax at source. It does involve jumping through some fancy paper hoops, though.

If you think I can help at all, either you or Darren are more than welcome to drop me a line at ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course).

Good luck and best wishes. Good to have your company here, by the way. My own BeWrite Books has learned invaluable lessons since I joined Mobile Read and started to study it thoroughly eighteen months or so ago. This place is a goldmine of sound, expert, generous, friendly information. Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drm_free_green with bb.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	54349  

Last edited by neilmarr; 07-01-2010 at 04:47 AM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #11
Theta Head
Theta Head

@neil mar,

Thanks for your reply. That really does help, and I have forward it to Darren.

You are right about this forum, it is a goldmine. I don't know much about ebook publishing, but from a quick read this seems to be the place to get educated. And it's great that there both publishers and technical people are here amoungst the authors.

Once again thanks for your valuable info!

Greg
Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome, Greg. And it's good to know Darren's at the helm. I met him through a big 'live' writers' group he helped run (in Maidstone, Kent, I think) and which I got to know when my own wee affair was a non-commercial writers' site and forum ten years or more ago.

He stood out as a darned fine author in his own right. In fact -- if I remember correctly -- he and I were involved in some kind of early ebook project when Darren decided to withdraw from the communities to concentrate on his own work. Probably one of the best decisions he ever made.

Good luck with Theta Head. Something to bear in mind on the promo and marketing front with PoD and with ebook is that you don't face that terrifying six-week make-or-break window traditional production and marketing is stuck with. You can effectively pace yourself over months and even years to pique interest and peak sales whenever an opportunity arises. We, for instance, have titles that are selling better now than they did on release several years ago.

Very best. Neil
Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
Theta Head
Theta Head

Article about how author and publisher are working together to promote hapless author's strange sounding new novel.

http://futurebook.net/content/case-s...vel-theta-head
Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr

That makes so much sense of the basic and the subtle, Greg. Pop into my own blog (http://www.bewritebooks.blogspot.com) and, if you think the company is good enough, I'd be grateful and proud to feature this piece and its follow up with you as guest blogger. It has always astounded me that brilliant authors can so easily conjure the authority to hold a reader spellbound for a dozen hours ... and can't string together a simple 300-word press release or understand how to connect in cyberspace. Hoots. Neil