Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Nook not finding book

I am very new to ereaders. I only had my Nook for 2 days and I'm leaning about ereaders and ebooks. Anyway I downloaded a free ebook from a link on this forum. The website is feedbooks.com and the the book is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The extension of the book file is EPUB. My understanding is that the Nook works with books in that format. Anyway using the USB connection I downloaded the book file to the Nook's my document folder but it doesn't show up on the Nook. I moved the book to the B&N folder but it still does not show up. Are only certain EPUB books workable with the Nook or am I missing something? Thanks.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Putting it in the My Documents folder was correct. You will not be able to find it, if you put it in the B&N folder.

Once you transfered it to My Documents. Take your Nook, to to My Documents and tap on "Check for new Content". Than the Nook will check, if you have put new stuff in a folder. After a while it should show up under My Documents.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Once you transfered it to My Documents. Take your Nook, to to My Documents and tap on "Check for new Content". Than the Nook will check, if you have put new stuff in a folder. After a while it should show up under My Documents.
How long is "a while" (less than a minute... more)? Does this mean the nook has to index non-B&N content before it can be used?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Putting it in the My Documents folder was correct. You will not be able to find it, if you put it in the B&N folder.

Thanks. That did it. I tapped the wrong thing. I tapped check for new B&N content. I didn't notice the check for new content in my documents. I figured I was missing something.

~eddie
Old 02-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
There was also some known problem with certain titles or characters if I remember right. Check the nook threads as well as the B&N forums.

edit: Oops, never mind....but I do remember reading about some title problem...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
How long is "a while" (less than a minute... more)? Does this mean the nook has to index non-B&N content before it can be used?
I guess it depends on the size of your library.
So far, I've only got 70 eBooks from B&N and another 450 in the documents folder. Finding my newest 6 B&N eBooks took about 10 seconds. For the none-B&N eBooks it took a bit longer, about 30 seconds. So far, I can't complain in comparison to Sony or Kindle.
One thing is kind of none-intuitive: I would have expected nook to find the new B&N eBooks quickly on its own via WiFi. I guess it would, if I turn it off and restart again. But while using it, it only found the eBooks when manually checking for new content. The user guide states, it should remain in standby instead of being turned off so it can check in certain intervals for new downloads.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-06-2010 at 11:29 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
There was also some known problem with certain titles or characters if I remember right. Check the nook threads as well as the B&N forums.

PDBs from fictionwise and others tend to have faulty titles and/or author names. The firmware update 1.2 helped a lot for that issue. Strange enough: iRex 800 handles PDBs from whatever source better than nook, although fictionwise for example is owned by B&N now...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

That's OK. Thanks anyway. I'll remember that if I experience another problem with e-books.

~eddie
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
kag240
kag240 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Nook won't even OPEN my documents folder!

I can't check for new content, because when I tap "My Documents", the e-ink screen goes back to wallpaper, and the touch screen just goes back to the main icon menu. WTH? What do I do? Thank you in advance. Today's my first Nook day, and it's been pretty good, up until now.
kag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
kag240
kag240 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Replying to myself.....at first, I'd placed about 12 new pdfs in the My Docs folder, and the nook refused to open the folder. Then, I went BACK, removed them all, and added them one at a time, and it worked. Good grief.
kag240 is offline   Reply With Quote