Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
NEWEGG offer jetBook for $169.99

I just received e-mail from NewEgg. They offer white jetBook for $169.99
- just 72 hours promotion:
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...landing_A.html

They offer free shipping and no taxes outside of CA.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Very tempting for my girlfriend. Very tempting indeed.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Nice deal
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Remember if you don't like the color and you have a few hours you can dye it.

When did their price go up? It was at $169.99 for a long time before I bought it.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
about a month ago, I guess. I know it jumped up right before I bought my 505.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=Kralik;555059]Remember if you don't like the color and you have a few hours you can dye it.

QUOTE]

What is the cost of this service?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Les Hall
Les Hall began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
I went for one. Looking forward to the UPS guy getting here tuesday. Odd that there is a no refund policy, just exchange...
Les Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It appears from the little research I have done that no Jetbook allows for consumer replacement of the battery.

Doesn't the screen use a lot more energy than an eInk screen, and thus cause the battery to wear out relatively soon?

Is there a Jetbook or other non-eInk unit that allows for consumer replacement of the battery?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can get to the battery by removing the back of the case - 4 small screws. But it is a hassle (and I don't know where you would buy replacement batteries).

However, the battery is 2800mAh vs. the "standard" 1000 mAh of e-ink devices. I have an EB-1150 from about four years ago... different device, and it uses an LCD screen that's not as nice as the jetBook. The battery is still going strong. I guess time will tell?

EDIT: I figure in 3-5 years I'll be ready for a new device anyway.

Last edited by Kralik; 08-15-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Note
Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
I think you can get a large Bing cashback right now from Newegg. I think I saw 10 or 20 percent (?). I am not exactly sure how to get it but it might be worth searching around.
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
You can get to the battery by removing the back of the case - 4 small screws. But it is a hassle (and I don't know where you would buy replacement batteries).

However, the battery is 2800mAh vs. the "standard" 1000 mAh of e-ink devices.
Yes, but it is an LCD display. Uses a LOT more power than e-ink. (And, the display isn't e-ink, another minus imo!) The advertised battery life is "up to 22 hours." I'll take the 3 weeks or so of my e-ink device any day. I already have enough gadgets that need to be constantly recharged.

IMO, waiting a couple of weeks for the Sony 300, for an extra $30, would eb well worth it. Same size display (5"), much better quality (800x600 e-ink vs. 640x480 lcd), supports many formats, and FAR superior battery life in a smaller form factor.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Yes, but it is an LCD display.
Which I mentioned, hence the comparison to the EB-1150 LCD battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I'll take the 3 weeks or so of my e-ink device any day.
If you read an hour a day 22 hours is 3 weeks.

But anyway, to each his own. The upcoming Sony won't have an SD slot, which may be an issue for some. jetBook supports every major format and can expand up to 32GB with SDHC.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for your response, Kralik. Buying a reader which I know will be worthless down the road due to a dead battery is an idea I'm going to have to get my head around.

Does the company offer to change the battery for a price?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks for your response, Kralik. Buying a reader which I know will be worthless down the road due to a dead battery is an idea I'm going to have to get my head around.

Does the company offer to change the battery for a price?
Worthless because you cannot turn a few screws and put in a replacement battery?

geeze, it will take the right screwdriver and like 5-minutes to install a new battery when the original stops lasting over 50% (I never keep LiIon or LiPoly batteries after the original 50% run time point, they are too cheap not to just replace new)...I bet the OEM battery would cost around $5-$10 new today. Small device batteries are very in expensive if you know where to buy and can use google.

I just cannot understand this fear of doing anything yourself these days here in the US...heck people do not even know how to change a washer in a faucet, another 5-min operation).

Nope, we might as well come out with devices we just throw away once the power runs out...

Seriously, I am teasing, but it is super simple to replace these batteries in any device...might take some patience the first time...but I think the point about the 4yr thing was that better options would be out so it might eb a good excuse...errr, I mean justified reason, to buy a new reader...

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-15-2009 at 11:10 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Which I mentioned, hence the comparison to the EB-1150 LCD battery life.

If you read an hour a day 22 hours is 3 weeks.

But anyway, to each his own. The upcoming Sony won't have an SD slot, which may be an issue for some. jetBook supports every major format and can expand up to 32GB with SDHC.
+ 1. I don't need Sony without SD slot and with integrated storage space - 440MB. I can accept when iPhone has no SD slot but has 16-32GB internal memory but Sony with 440MB for the library in ePub format sounds unacceptable to me.