Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #271
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
Why does the ssh server autostart on boot? If we forget do disable it, it will drain battery fast.
I doubt that the battery drain would be noticeable at all. Processes which just listen for incoming tcp connections do not use any CPU at all (and dropbear's memory usage is minimal)
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #272
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
Hello,
thanks to yifanlu and all the others for the Jailbreak!

How to get SSH?
I have tried "Simple usbnet update 1.1" of of yifanlu, but i can not connect.
I only want access over WiFi.
Why does the ssh server autostart on boot? If we forget do disable it, it will drain battery fast.

Thanks,
Takeo
I haven't figured out how to do it over wifi, but here's how I did it via the USB cable. (I'm assuming you already did the jailbreak and have installed yifanlu's ssh mod) I posted this in another thread, but I'm reposting it here since you asked how to do it.

1) Restart the Kindle

1) If you have not followed the readme instructions and set a password yet, do so by entering ";un password YOUR_PASSWORD" in the search bar on the main screen (don't put in the quotes and replace "YOUR_PASSWORD" with the password you want to use)

2) Enter ;un (or ;usbnetwork) in the search bar on the main screen

3) Attach the Kindle via USB to your computer

4) Linux/Macs will list it as a new network adapter rather than the standard drive

4b) Window's users will need to install the Linux RDNIS I don't know where to get this, I used a Linux VM on my Windows machine (it was easier to me)

5) Set the new adapter's ip address to 192.168.15.1 (or anything in the 192.168.15.XXX range)

6) Open a terminal and enter "ssh root@192.168.15.244" (minus the quotes)

6b) Windows users use putty or some such SSH program

7) It should prompt you to connect and ask you for your password. After that you should be in!

Like I said, I'm still not sure how to do it via wifi, but I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #273
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I want to write a screensaver hack for non kso devices (you paid $30 after all, might as well get something useful out of it).

How the kindle touch's screensaver works is that the system runs libblanket, which is responsible for putting stuff on screen that the framework does not do (USB message, ota update message, boot splash, screensaver, etc). These are loaded as "modules" (Linux shared libraries). In theory, if we decompile the module and reverse the Apis from it, we can write our own modules and easily write stuff like custom screensavers with a calendar and weather or auto-convert images, or get rss feeds, etc.

currently, I painfully decompiled the init function by hand (automatic tools are expensive and produces crappy results): http://pastebin.com/sNWBniJp

as you can see, work needs to be done
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #274
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I want to write a screensaver hack for non kso devices (you paid $30 after all, might as well get something useful out of it).
May be EIPS works in same way as K3-K4.0.1.
Clear screen: /usr/sbin/eips -c
Show image: /usr/sbin/eips -f -g <path_to_image>

Also, any one knows, how to make PNG images for this eips function? I'm working on K4 localization, and my /opt/amazon/low_level_screens shows 2x wide (stretched)
(I mean screens for Startup, Update, Critical battery level....)

Edit:
Never mind. Got working images with ImageMagick:
convert src.png -colorspace Gray result.png

Last edited by Sir Alex; 12-13-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #275
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Out of curiosity has this hack revealed any collections files that the Touch uses to store collections data??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #276
Fizzblizz
Fizzblizz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Out of curiosity has this hack revealed any collections files that the Touch uses to store collections data??
The file /var/local/cc.db seems like the collections store. It is a simple sqlite3 database with ~3 tables and a few triggers. Should be a piece of cake to write a management application:

Code:
$ sqlite3 ./cc.db 
SQLite version 3.7.7 2011-06-23 19:49:22
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> .schema Entries
CREATE TABLE Entries
(
    p_uuid PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,       -- ID of entry (UUID)

p_type,                            -- App-defined type (string)
    p_location,                        -- Location (URI to content)
    p_lastAccess,                      -- Last access (datetime)
It even has field documentation! Every attribute is described, sometimes with multiple lines of documentation...
Fizzblizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #277
jobzombi
jobzombi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Stupid question, admited, so please don't lambast me on it, but what can the SSH feature be used for? I'm not too proficient in it, but I use it at work for remote management of some servers. Not sure how this would translate to the touch.
jobzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #278
Fizzblizz
Fizzblizz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzombi View Post
Stupid question, admited, so please don't lambast me on it, but what can the SSH feature be used for? I'm not too proficient in it, but I use it at work for remote management of some servers. Not sure how this would translate to the touch.
The same reason you use it for your home servers: checking out stuff, changing parameters, code and configurations to prepare useful mods.
Fizzblizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #279
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkaar View Post
1) create a folder on the kindle called 'screensaver' (where the documents folder is)

2b) ssh into kindle via usb
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_
ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
3) put your screensaver files into the created directory (you need to restart the kindle after putting in new files)
Thanks for this tip. I was able to do this on my new Kindle 4 nk/SO using ssh via usb. I made some nice screen savers out of my personal photos. They had to be tweaked a bit to look good indexed in 16 colors. Also, the file naming looks weird so I just used names like 01N.png, 02N.png like the originals.

I would like to find out how to use ssh via WiFi. I did all the configurations you posted before but I need to know more about how to get it running. Is there an ENABLE_USBNET file or something that needs to be in /mnt/us/ ? I followed your directions for Windows and then tried Linux, but I couldn't figure out how to see the Kindle on my network.

Anyway, there's some great work going on here. I read the whole thread a couple weeks ago and it was all greek to me. As I read it again, things are beginning to make sense.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #280
zackor
zackor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I am trying to ssh onto Kindle using putty, but when I run USBnet, and then open new connection to 192.168.15.244, putty does not prompt me for login and password.

What am I supposinglt doing wrong? After enabling USBnet thers RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget in Device Manager, and it doesnt have properly installed driver. Im using WinXP 32bit

Edit: Ok, I managed to download driver http://www.davehylands.com/linux/gum...bnet/linux.inf. Lets see if this works

Last edited by zackor; 12-13-2011 at 09:10 AM.
zackor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #281
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
I didn't have any luck w/putty either. I used Win7 instead of XP. Linux worked out of the box though.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #282
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzblizz View Post
The file /var/local/cc.db seems like the collections store. It is a simple sqlite3 database with ~3 tables and a few triggers. Should be a piece of cake to write a management application
Would you be able to PM a link to a copy of a cc.db file containing various collections/books as I'd be interested in looking at it. Without a Touch it makes it a bit hard to do much with it, but it'd be good to see one and to start learning sqlite3.

Unfortunately the use of the file, if it supports editing and if I were able to add support for it in the plugin, would be very limited to people willing to hack their device and run the necessary commands to access it.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #283
ikiller
ikiller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 NT SO
I have had success getting custom screensavers on the Kindle 4 non touch special offers. 4.0 Firmware

Roughly how (using info from this thread as well as others):
1. Plug in kindle, and put an empty file called ENABLE_DIAGS, as well as a folder called screensavers filled with your own screensavers to the root of your kindle user partition. (make sure you aren't hiding file extensions and that the file has no file extension)
2. Reboot kindle and go through debug menu system to start USB networking (see previous posts)
3. Plug the kindle into your computer (I used windows 7) and setup the new network device. Also I found that windows did have the right driver, but I sometimes had to plug it in and unplug it back and forth a couple of times for it to work.
4. ssh into the device with putty, I was using the older firmware so my username was root, pass was mario.
5. delete or rename the .assets folder located in /mnt/us/
6. delete or rename /var/local/adunits directory
7. delete or rename /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/adunits/600x800/banner.gif and screensvr.gif
8. delete or rename /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
9. create a link from /mnt/base-mmc/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 to your own screensavers (/mnt/us/screensaver):
ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

I then rebooted and now all of my screensavers from my folder cycle through when put to sleep.

Last edited by ikiller; 12-13-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed references to removing ads.
ikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #284
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
oh, that's smarter than what I did. I edited the hosts file to point the ad server url to 127.0.0.1. It works, but if they change the URL, I would get ads again.
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #285
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Stop talking about removing ads in this thread. There are other threads that discuss this. Thank you.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote