Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Longmire

Anyone else eagerly waiting for the debut of Longmire on A&E tonight? It will be on at 10:00 PM EDT.
It is based on the Walt Longmire Mysteries by Craig Johnson. This is a great mystery series and I hope the program will do the series justice.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Agghhh! I am in the frozen north for the summer and don't have a TV. Hope for reruns in the fall

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Thank you for posting this. We didn't know about it at all.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I was planning on watching but haven't read the books, the lead actor is an Aussie
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
We've got the first show recorded. Will watch some time soon.

My husband got 2 of the books but neither of us has read them yet. Glad to know you like the series, Apache. Something to look forward to when I finish rereading the Dresden Files books!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It's on right now for me. So far it is interesting enough I am wondering about the books.

What did you think Apache ? Is it true to the character of the books?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For a TV Series it captured the characters very well. I think the books were better, but then the books are almost always better. I will continue to watch this series.
The 8Th book in the series, As The Crow Flies, was released May 15Th. I am going to read it as soon as I finish The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.
Apache
Old 06-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It's on again this evening. I am becoming really curious how the characters and their actions are done by Craig Johnson in the books. It seems like a lot of the character is in the action and not the words in the TV version. Since you say the TV version captures the characters well, I will be looking for the books - pbooks so I can share them with a couple of friends.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I really enjoyed the pilot for the series. The cast seems pretty diverse (and competent). Nice to see a new TV show about people/characters (with mostly self-contained episodes) for a change... instead of one more in a rash of trippy, serialized mind experiments that seem to dominate.

The only problem is that I've had to break my long-standing "No Lou Diamond Phillips" rule to watch it. Keep him in that very low-key supporting role and I might be OK, though.

My library has the books so I plan on checking those out very, very soon. Like maybe today.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-11-2012 at 07:32 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic

Lou Diamond Phillips would not have been my choice to play the part of Henry. It is like thinking Tom Cruise could play Reacher.
I do think the Characters are better and have more depth, in the books, than they do in the Television Show. Of course the Television Show only has an hour once a week to do character development. The books are very character driven and one reason I really like the books.
Apache
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Lou Diamond Phillips would not have been my choice to play the part of Henry. It is like thinking Tom Cruise could play Reacher.
I'll be perfectly frank: Lou Diamond Phillips wouldn't be my choice to play any character in any film/show. Except maybe (just maybe, mind you) the role of Chavez in the first Young Guns movie. That might be the only film where the delivery of each and every line of his dialog didn't make me want to cringe.
Spoiler:
Only most of them did.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I watched the pilot (and DVR'd the most recent episode) and liked it. I had no idea that it was based on a series of books, which I will now have to seek out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I watched the pilot (and DVR'd the most recent episode) and liked it. I had no idea that it was based on a series of books, which I will now have to seek out.
I hope you enjoy the book series as much as I do. I just finished Craig Johnson's latest release and now I probably have to wait another year for the next book.
Apache
Old 06-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I hope you enjoy the book series as much as I do. I just finished Craig Johnson's latest release and now I probably have to wait another year for the next book.
Apache
Thankfully my library has them (although there is a waiting list) as the ebooks are above what I'm willing to pay (most are $11.99 or $12.99) for a new to me author right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

There was a big (relatively) waiting list for the ebooks at my library, but when I went to that brick & mortar manifestation of "My Library"... there they all sat on the shelf, looking lonely and unread. Snagged the first couple.