Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Wilcoo
Wilcoo began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 70b
How to get Book Cover's to the Archos 70b ?

Can anyone tell me how to fix calibre, so that i will see all the book covers on my e-reader ?

1 out of 20 books show the cover, the other only in the calibre app.
Wilcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcoo View Post
Can anyone tell me how to fix calibre, so that i will see all the book covers on my e-reader ?

1 out of 20 books show the cover, the other only in the calibre app.
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct forum
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Wilcoo

Hello theducks,

thanx for helping me , but i think it is something i must change in the software and not in the hardware.

that is way i placed it with "calibre".
Old 05-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What format are the books? Do you have covers defined for them in the metadata in Calibre? Did you convert the books prior to sending them to your device?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Wilcoo

the books are in epub format.
yes, in calibre i have covers in the metadata in calibre.
i did not convert them, should i ?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
the books are in epub format.
yes, in calibre i have covers in the metadata in calibre.
i did not convert them, should i ?
Converting books is the only way to guarantee that the cover is embedded into the ePub file. If necessary this can be an ePub->ePub conversion.

Depending on the method you use to transfer the books from Calibre, Calibre will attempt to update the cover as part of the transfer, but it can only do so if it can identify the existing cover. You did not mention how you are transferring the books?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
Wilcoo

I just dragged the books from the explorer into Calibre.

So I can transfer them from calibre to calibre (internal) ?
Or must i export them and import all the books ?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I just dragged the books from the explorer into Calibre.
This part sounds good.

Quote:
So I can transfer them from calibre to calibre (internal) ?
Or must i export them and import all the books ?
No, what itimpi was talking about is a conversion, not a reimport. Select the problematic books and look for a conversion button on your toolbar (a brownish book with two arrows in a circle on it) or simply hit the 'C' key. That should bring up a conversion window. Make sure that the target format in the dropdown field in the upper right hand corner is set to ePub and let Calibre convert the files. Retransfer them to your device and see if they have covers.
Oh, and by the way, how did you transfer the books to your device? Did you use Calibre to send the books to the device or did you grab the files and pushed them over via the explorer?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
willemsenr
willemsenr began at the beginning.

I am facing the same problem, even after (re) converting from epub to epub. There is one way i can get the cover to appear by manually changing the epub using calibre (right click and then the T option). I need to change the extension of cover.jpeg to cover.jpg and then it works. Looks like Archos 70b does not like the jpeg extension. So a question would be if it is possible to have calibre create cover.jpg files inside the epub instead of cover.jpeg files?
willemsenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure why you should be getting a cover.jpeg file in the first place! All my Calibre covers are called cover.jpg.

The only place I see 'jpeg' used is in the mime-type entry in the .opf file where it is 'image/jpeg' and that that is the correct mime type for a jpeg file (whatever its file extension).

Last edited by itimpi; 05-17-2011 at 11:13 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Not sure why you should be getting a cover.jpeg file in the first place! All my Calibre covers are called calibre.jpg.

The only place I see 'jpeg' used is in the mime-type entry in the .opf file where it is 'image/jpeg' and that that is the correct mime type for a jpeg file (whatever its file extension).
The cover stored in the folder (in the guru zone ) with the books is: cover.jpg (XP version)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, .jpeg will be used if the source document used it. If calibre is inserting its own cover as opposed to using a cover from the source document, then it should use .jpg.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
willemsenr
willemsenr began at the beginning.

The cover is indeed called cover.jpg in the calibre library, when converting cover.jpg is copied into the epub zip and renamed to cover.jpeg. My guess is that it reads the name of the cover from content.opf (manifest) inside the source epub:
<manifest>
<item href="cover.jpeg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
Is there a way to changes this behavior i.e.have calibre change the opf so that it says cover.jpg?
willemsenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Wilcoo

I pressed the ''C" and let the book convert to epub.
pressed the button "transfer to reader" in calibre.
but there is now effect, stil no book cover.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Wilcoo

the file in my epub is an jpg, not a jpeg.