Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
encoding problem with mobi converted to epub

Hi,

I'm seeing a problem with a .mobi file I picked up from Amazon. I converted it to epub for use on the Sony, and I'm seeing accented characters get screwed up. For example:

Code:
Provençal
The 'ç' will be displayed as gibberish in both the Calibre viewer as well as the Sony 505. Other accented characters do the same thing.

The original mobi appears to be fine, the mobi doc looks ok in Stanza and the iphone kindle app (but not in Calibre viewer).

What's really weird is that when I extracted the epub to copy/paste the screwed up text I discovered that Calibre had actually converted the text correctly, at least at the individual xhtml level. The xhtml files appears to be saved as UTF-8 with no BOM, and the <head> section specifies UTF-8 as the encoding as well.

So it seems something else in the epub isn't being set correctly causing the final encoding output to go awry. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Edit:
The screwed up text does actually display correctly on Desktop ADE as well, but not in Calibre viewer or mobile ADE on the 505.

Last edited by ldolse; 08-14-2009 at 07:42 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Hi,

Edit:
The screwed up text does actually display correctly on Desktop ADE as well, but not in Calibre viewer or mobile ADE on the 505.

See this post

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=7

ADE fonts are latin1 only so you need to point epub to use LRF fonts. You will se explanation in the above post. BUT it will not work with current version of calibre due to a bug ( http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/3150 ). You need to use 0.5.1.4 to produce correct epub.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Ok, well I can try editing the CSS to use the lrf fonts, but this doesn't look to me it's a font issue. The other poster mentioned question marks, which can happen with fonts, but in this case it really is gibberish. 'ç' looks to be in unicode, and is rendered as two bizarre characters (so I assume two bytes), which is why I was thinking it was encoding related.

Note the calibre book viewer screws it up in the same way.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting, can you opena ticket and post the MOBI and EPUB files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard

Will do - note earlier today I couldn't create a ticket - did this get fixed?
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There was a problem with creating tickets a day or so ago (I was upgrading server software), but it should be fine now.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote