Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #481
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonian4000 View Post
I can't find any option anywhere to hide the status bar.
Yep, that's my fault! V2.2 doesn't have any status bar option!

Quote:
- The deletion interface is awkward to use for deleting lots of manga. The page doesn't scroll so only a few manga can be added before the "Run" button disappears off the bottom of the screen. Also, adding manga to delete one at a time is slow.
I will solve this, trying to add scrolling and multi selections

Quote:
- I don't know if I'm just using the interface wrong, but I can't scroll cover view, so only 2.5 rows are visible (and therefore only 9 manga accessible)
In cover view I added two transparent buttons to scroll up/down.
They work just like the zoom buttons, so you should find them in the same place.

Quote:
Also, why are there two pages in the README with tap location information? Is one of them old/redundant, or are they for different parts of Komic?
The two pages are not old/redundant, they are just different.
One is for portrait mode, the other is for landscape mode (and this has the scroll button).
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #482
pythonian4000
pythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
In cover view I added two transparent buttons to scroll up/down.
They work just like the zoom buttons, so you should find them in the same place.
Found them, and they work for me. The reason I couldn't find them was the same GUI issue as for the zoom buttons - not the whole width is used, so the scroll down button was not in the corner. Maybe add a page to the README about it?

Quote:
The two pages are not old/redundant, they are just different.
One is for portrait mode, the other is for landscape mode (and this has the scroll button).
Ah, okay. Viewing the README on the computer, I see that now. My suggestion: label the two images as "landscape mode" and "portrait mode", and I'd even rotate the landscape one 90 degrees so it is shown "correctly" - most people will be viewing the README when they first install Komic, while it is still in portrait mode. With the existing default settings for Komic, the landscape picture gets scaled to fit the portrait screen, and I then couldn't work out the difference.
pythonian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #483
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
More comments:

- The deletion interface is awkward to use for deleting lots of manga. The page doesn't scroll so only a few manga can be added before the "Run" button disappears off the bottom of the screen. Also, adding manga to delete one at a time is slow.
Just added:
  • multiple selection in:
    1. manage bookmarks: when removing bookmarks
    2. manage deletions: when adding and removing comics to deletion list
  • scroll in:
    1. manage bookmarks: available bookmarks
    2. manage deletions: scheduled deletions

Multiple selection highlights items with italic and underline.
You can also select/deselect items multiple times before triggering the corresponding action (this is done exiting the popup using the close button or tapping on the title of the popup).
Scrollable areas have also a maximum height based on the orientation.

Now I'll fix a few things in the README, a small thing in cover view and I'm ready to prepare a PW beta.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #484
silver18
THE NOOB

Just a quick question: does che /var/local/appreg.db exist in the same location in a PW kindle?
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #485
silver18
THE NOOB

This is a BETA version of Komic V2.3 for Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite.

It still has some problems with the remove borders feature, please use it carefully (it *may* be necessary to reboot your kindle if images are really big).

Everything else works on KINDLE TOUCH 5.3.2.1
As regards KINDLE PAPERWHITE, I can't test it.
It should work (proved to work....) but may have some GUI problems.

The .bin should be recognized by all Kindles touch and all Kindles PW.

PLEASE USE IT CAREFULLY, SPECIALLY ON KINDLE PW

I'm not responsible for bricked kindles, tears and similars...

KOMIC V2.3 BETA

Last edited by silver18; 06-12-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Advert
Old 06-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #486
pythonian4000
pythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Just a quick question: does che /var/local/appreg.db exist in the same location in a PW kindle?
Thanks!
That's the one that the installer uses, right? Then yes, it's in the same location - I didn't have to go hunting when I installed via SSH.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #487
pythonian4000

Tried installing it over the top of 2.2 and it worked, KUAL said it was version 2.3. But Komic would not launch. KUAL just disappears, so the start script is being run but failing. When I ran it via kterm, I got the following:

./bin/resource/Scripts/start.sh: line 3:
: not found
./bin/resource/Scripts/start.sh: line 4:
./bin/resource/Scripts/start.sh: source: line 5: can't open '/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/resources.sh
'

But I don't know how kterm execution differs to KUAL.

Ran uninstall bin and then reinstalled - same problem. I'll try installing via SSH next.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #488
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Tried installing it over the top of 2.2 and it worked, KUAL said it was version 2.3. But Komic would not launch. KUAL just disappears, so the start script is being run but failing. When I ran it via kterm, I got the following:

./bin/resource/Scripts/start.sh: line 3:
./bin/resource/Scripts/start.sh: line 4:
./bin/resource/Scripts/start.sh: source: line 5: can't open '/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/resources.sh
'

But I don't know how kterm execution differs to KUAL.

Ran uninstall bin and then reinstalled - same problem. I'll try installing via SSH next.
Damn me!!!
I forgot to save scripts with unix line endings!!!
New package is coming!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #489
silver18
THE NOOB

Here's the new package.
Download it here!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #490
pythonian4000

Quote:
Here's the new package.
Download it here!
Thanks :-) It works now! Starts fine, GUI is much better, and I like the multiple selecting for deletion.

One big problem: the drag-scrolling you added to the comic view makes it almost impossible to press the regions. Only one tap in 10-20 will register as a "next page" etc, the rest are interpreted as minute scrolls. Is a two-finger scroll possible? Either that, or place some minimum movement on drags.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #491
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Thanks :-) It works now! Starts fine, GUI is much better, and I like the multiple selecting for deletion.

One big problem: the drag-scrolling you added to the comic view makes it almost impossible to press the regions. Only one tap in 10-20 will register as a "next page" etc, the rest are interpreted as minute scrolls. Is a two-finger scroll possible? Either that, or place some minimum movement on drags.
Any chance to have some screenshots?
Is the GUI correct?
Are the touch areas placed where they must be?

The scroll thing is strange because I already faced that problem: I added a control on the amount of scrolling and a control on the time you keep scrolling.
If one of them is too short, the gesture isn't interpreted as a swipe but as a tap.
I'll try reworking it (maybe simulating two fingers gesture in JS!)....
Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #492
pythonian4000

Quote:
Any chance to have some screenshots?
Tapatalk is bugging out when I upload pictures. I'll get some up soon though.

Quote:
Is the GUI correct?
Are the touch areas placed where they must be?
Touchscreen appears to be using almost the full width in comic mode - tapping with my finger just on the screen edge on the left works (back a page), but doesn't work on the right (forward a page) - I need to move in from the edge a bit. Could be that I'm just not getting taps to register, of course.

Quote:
The scroll thing is strange because I already faced that problem: I added a control on the amount of scrolling and a control on the time you keep scrolling.
If one of them is too short, the gesture isn't interpreted as a swipe but as a tap.
I'll try reworking it (maybe simulating two fingers gesture in JS!)....
My previous test was conducted on a train. Currently at my desk, I am able to get a little better percentage of taps to register, but many are still detected as minute scrolls. So it's not terrible, but if train vibrations (for quite a slow and smooth train) are enough to throw it off then it does need tweaking

(And just as I wrote that, it's now gone back to being terrible :P )

Another idea: how about swipe-to-turn?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #493
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Tapatalk is bugging out when I upload pictures. I'll get some up soon though.

Touchscreen appears to be using almost the full width in comic mode - tapping with my finger just on the screen edge on the left works (back a page), but doesn't work on the right (forward a page) - I need to move in from the edge a bit. Could be that I'm just not getting taps to register, of course.

My previous test was conducted on a train. Currently at my desk, I am able to get a little better percentage of taps to register, but many are still detected as minute scrolls. So it's not terrible, but if train vibrations (for quite a slow and smooth train) are enough to throw it off then it does need tweaking

(And just as I wrote that, it's now gone back to being terrible :P )

Another idea: how about swipe-to-turn?
I can provide the new version of a JS on which I'm working now that *could* solve the tap/swipe problem, please try it. In order to do this, (unrar the attached file then) just replace the new readingJS.js with the one placed in /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Javascripts (make a backup of the old one!).

As regards the GUI part, I did my best to fix everything.
BTW, I don't have a PW, so I'm just shooting in the dark.

Finally, I'll try with the swipe to turn, but I don't like it in the stock book reader app, so don't expect anything!

Spoiler:

I don't want to sound rude or, worst, lazy but I'm not a GUI guru so this part takes me lot of time and lots of try and error.
If you still find problems with the PW, you can either:
- try yourself and share the results
- support Komic with a donation. Some weeks ago there was a 3d about raising money to buy a PW for testing, but I can't find it right now!
Attached Files
File Type: rar readingJS.rar (6.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #494
pythonian4000

Quote:
I can provide the new version of a JS on which I'm working now that *could* solve the tap/swipe problem, please try it. In order to do this, (unrar the attached file then) just replace the new readingJS.js with the one placed in /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Javascripts (make a backup of the old one!).
Thanks, I'll try it out soon.

Quote:
As regards the GUI part, I did my best to fix everything.
BTW, I don't have a PW, so I'm just shooting in the dark.
Fair enough. The GUI seems fine though, it's just the touchscreen that is iffy

Quote:
Finally, I'll try with the swipe to turn, but I don't like it in the stock book reader app, so don't expect anything!
Again, fair enough. Though you could always have it as an option that could be enabled if people want it.

Quote:
If you still find problems with the PW, you can either:
- try yourself and share the results
I'm perfectly okay with playing around and tweaking it, if you want to point out the relevant code
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #495
silver18
THE NOOB

The GUI part while reading is in:
  • /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/Reading.html
  • /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/CSS/portrait.css

The touch/swipe part is in:
  • /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/Reading.html
  • /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/CSS/portrait.css
  • /mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Javascripts/readingJS.js
(in the JS file, look for functions mUp, trackMouse, singleClick, simulateDoubleClick).

In the meanwhile, I'll try with the swipe to turn.

Tags
launcher add-ons