Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
nhnonna
nhnonna began at the beginning.

Device: kindle and Pandigital
Which Readers have Night Reading Font

I have a boss that now wants me to find him an ereader with the reversed night reading font (white on black). He saw my Pandigital and LOVED IT! He wants JUST a reader tho; something light. I have the 9: Pandigital and it is heavier than he wanted.

I also love my kindle2 - upgraded to the kindle3 but didn't like it as much, so kept the 2.

I am definitely hooked on this technology! He just wants a lightweight reader that has the reverse font for night reading.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.
nhnonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I consider the adjustable font to be kindle's night reading app. I just up the font until it is comfortable.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I find white on black text to be too much eyestrain in any lighting. It's the same thing for star charts - I like black on white, not white on black. Too little contrast: large swathes of black overwhelm the smaller amount of white.

I think most devices that will have white on black are going to be backlit. I wasn't sure from the original post if that was important or not. Some of the lighter devices are eink.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not aware of any eink devices that do this, but that could just be my ignorance. Will probably have to look at lcd (backlit) devices. The battery won't last as long on lcd as eink, but I'm not sure how it affects the weight of the device.

I do know that a couple apps on my iTouch have the font capability you're looking for, but I don't remember their names.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
My Touch and iPad both have the night reading function, but with the warning that they aren't meant for use for any extended time. I do find that the white on black text is OK for short sessions.

Sydney's Mom I consider the adjustable font to be kindle's night reading app. I just up the font until it is comfortable.

That's a good idea for low light situations. I've tried it and it is reasonably effective. However, I bought a "Mighty Bright" LED light for reading in the dark. It works fine; there's no eyestrain or glare and the e-ink text stands out with great clarity. It also functions well for a standard book.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
nhnonna

thank you all for your input! He didn't want one that was backlit. So far I have only seen the 'night reading font' on the Panditigal 9" model. That sure narrows it down doesn't it??? I'll keep looking I guess.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Well, with epubs that are not DRM-crippled, you can change that in the style sheet...

body {
background:black;
color: white
}

should work if there are no color definitions for the text...

That should theoretically work on any reader that supports epub, but I have only one to test.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I used reverse night reading regularly on my 5" Astak EZReader, but I'm damned if I remember how. I do recall I had installed an alternative firmware (LReader maybe), a dictionary—I was constantly fiddling. Of course, the PocketPro is the original e-Ink technology (which I loved it way back then before Pearl), but if your boss is liking your K3 ....

You may want to post in the Astak forum. The folks there (as in all the forums) are knowledgeable and helpful. And (ditto) Welcome.
d

Last edited by CharlieBird; 02-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
nhnonna

Welcome to Mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Another entry for the iPad.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
The nook color has this option.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
nhnonna

again, thanks to all who posted helpful suggestions. I will look into the Nook color next. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhnonna View Post
again, thanks to all who posted helpful suggestions. I will look into the Nook color next. Thanks again.
I suspect you will need to avoid those devices that use eInk displays for this feature. However, that being said many many eInk readers do have some pretty sophisticated brightness & contrast controls along with font size that makes reading for a middle-aged man (surprise! Me!) pretty easy - even at night in bed.

If you don't find exactly what you are looking for in the color devices, I'd consider the Sony PRS-350. I like mine pretty good. There is an "Adjust View" menu selection with some presets already created and some slider bars to set it exactly right for the viewer. When coupled with the font size, I haven't found any situations where it is uncomfortable to read.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
FBreader on my Android phone has the night/day thing, which I find comfortable only when reading in total dark - i.e. in bed with all lights off. So, if memory serves, does Aldiko. If your boss has an Android phone, he could use that to read, unless it's too small for him.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Hi!
My Hanlin V3 (BeBook, EZ reader, ... all the same) has this option, at least for .fb2, txt, rtf files. It just reverses black and white.

I think that there is a way to make epubs work with the same reading software that reads fb2, but I am not sure. On the bright side - there plenty if converters (like calibre) or even online ones, where you upload your epub and get the fb2 file.

(If you need more info leave me a visitor message, since I might overlook this thread)
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightweight, night, reader