Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #61
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I am so excited about this update! I LOVE my Nook HD and now with all the android apps available, I am in heaven.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
There are a lot of us out here who have no interest in drinking the Apple Kool-aid for one reason or another. B&N can make money selling their device to that market.
Only if they end up getting a decent amount of content sales along with it. By most accounts they're making little to nothing on the hardware itself.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #63
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Too late for me. And not necessarily a great move from a business perspective. Like MV64 mentioned, they made money on the store, not the hardware. Now they won't have any means to make a decent profit on it. This was a desperate move by a failing company.
Quote:
I'd have to disagree. I now have a tablet computer for a much cheaper price than an iPad, I'm not tied to iTunes, I can now buy Kindle books directly or Nook books or sideload whatever books I want, and I can now put any app I want on it. I'll pick up a 32GB micro SD card for it for about $24 so my total cost for a 48GB color HD tablet is going to be $194 - slightly cheaper than a 32GB iPad for $599.00. Yeah, I don't have a camera in it but I wouldn't use it anyway.
Why are you comparing a 7" nook color HD with a 10" iPad?
An 32GB iPad mini is $429. That is still far more expensive than a 48GB nook color HD. Your point can still be made without having to tap into your anti-Apple bigotry.

Quote:
There are a lot of us out here who have no interest in drinking the Apple Kool-aid for one reason or another. B&N can make money selling their device to that market.
Why does it always have to come down to the accusation that people who buy Apple products are mindless drones who are in a religious hynotic state to all things Apple?

It appears by your posts that you are insecure. One common way to deal with insecurity is to tear down those who disagree with one's own views to help make themselves feel better. Some of us understand that. Self-esteem is not derived by a personal attachment to an electronic device.

I agree with pl001 that this is a desperate move by B&N. They squandered the good will and attention that they received with the introduction of the nook color. Easy to root. Easy to convert into an android tablet. They took way too long to update the product. And the update wasn't much of one when it finally arrived. The nook color vs. nook tablet seemed to be straining for differentiation.

Just because it is a desperate move by B&N doesn't mean that there aren't benefits to consumers. IMO, I suspect that this is the last push to clear existing inventory. Anyone interested in one, should keep a keen eye on clearance sales and jump on it.

Although I have a variety of tablets, I'm waiting for the HD+ to appear for less than $150 and then I'll grab one.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #64
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I welcomed the Nook HD+ with its resolution for $269. I knew I could get a n2a card so access to Gapps.

I tried the Ipad Mini and I liked the form factor and 4:3 but the trade off for resolution was too much to bear. Enter the Ipad retina, much better resolution with retina obviously but the trade off was price, weight and portability. Maybe next go around with what they offer but if the Nook HD drops, I am a buyer. What 7 inch tablet has better resolution AND portability coupled?

Last edited by robertc88; 05-05-2013 at 11:17 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #65
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Picked up the Puffin Browser (the paid version supports Flash, the free version doesn't) and it did play the Amazon Prime Instant Video, so thank you very much for that suggestion!
Well I installed Nova Launcher and trying to get Puffin from the Play Store, it gave a not compatible message.

When I flipped to Nook side and use their shop for this app, it was readily available. I want AVOD for my Prime membership so I paid and installed it. It works fine.

I already own PvZ through Play Store for $0.99 and have it installed on my N7. I could not download this from the Nova and Play Store side. I went to Nook's shop and it is there for $4.99. I will use my N7 for this one.

It ain't all roses, I am not complaing but making folks aware what they are apt to run into with already owned apps or trying to get some from Play Store when on another Launcher's side.

Last edited by robertc88; 05-05-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #66
robertc88
Fanatic

And folks needed to buy the device first in order for their store to make them any money. Little to no chance of that happening when one was so limited for apps in their store. Just look at last quarter.

If I did not have the option for the n2a card, no chance I would have bought it. I see more sales especially if price is reduced.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #67
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
B&N is putting them on sale for Mothers Day:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ay/#more-50730

$149 for the HD and $179 for the HD+.

Those that waited, good call; B&N did have something big for monday.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #68
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Even though I already own a Nexus 7, I would probably pick up an HD+ right now at that price if it wasn't so locked down. Development for the device is pretty much nonexistent at this point.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #69
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Why are you comparing a 7" nook color HD with a 10" iPad?
An 32GB iPad mini is $429. That is still far more expensive than a 48GB nook color HD. Your point can still be made without having to tap into your anti-Apple bigotry.

Why does it always have to come down to the accusation that people who buy Apple products are mindless drones who are in a religious hynotic state to all things Apple?

It appears by your posts that you are insecure. One common way to deal with insecurity is to tear down those who disagree with one's own views to help make themselves feel better. Some of us understand that. Self-esteem is not derived by a personal attachment to an electronic device.

I agree with pl001 that this is a desperate move by B&N. They squandered the good will and attention that they received with the introduction of the nook color. Easy to root. Easy to convert into an android tablet. They took way too long to update the product. And the update wasn't much of one when it finally arrived. The nook color vs. nook tablet seemed to be straining for differentiation.

Just because it is a desperate move by B&N doesn't mean that there aren't benefits to consumers. IMO, I suspect that this is the last push to clear existing inventory. Anyone interested in one, should keep a keen eye on clearance sales and jump on it.

Although I have a variety of tablets, I'm waiting for the HD+ to appear for less than $150 and then I'll grab one.
I don't know anyone that has an iPad mini, so that's not even something I would even think about when making a tablet purchase, which is why I used the iPad in my post.

My, my, all that pop-psychiatry 101 about me being some sort of Apple-hater just because I make one comment about the folks who automatically think that the iPad is the must-have tablet. Methinks it's someone else who is defensive and insecure.

My niece and BIL both have iPads, so I have access to that Apple product during the day. While it's a nice product, I just don't see why people would pay that amount of money for that product. I find it awkward and limiting to use. I'm used to having greater control over what is on my computer and what I can access and how deep I can dig into the innards.

I don't have any deep-seated hatred for Apple products. I think they are interesting but extremely overpriced for what you get. I look at the adoration of the company and its products by its customers with the bemusement of someone who wonders why an appliance choice is supposed to confer some kind of "cool factor" on the purchaser.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #70
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Fire sale . Knew it was coming.

I buy Apple products because they are worth the money. The only people that seem to have an issue with them are the people who don't own any of their products to begin with. Don't base your opinions on bad reviews.

Apple computers have the best accessibility options built right into them too.

Anyway. I sense too that these will be the last devices B&N ever makes too. They're probably going to start shutting off services by the end of the year, and their own app store will vanish.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #71
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
And folks needed to buy the device first in order for their store to make them any money. Little to no chance of that happening when one was so limited for apps in their store. Just look at last quarter.

If I did not have the option for the n2a card, no chance I would have bought it. I see more sales especially if price is reduced.
Is there any point to having the n2a card anymore, since dual-boot ability is no longer needed with having Google Play now?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #72
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Is there any point to having the n2a card anymore, since dual-boot ability is no longer needed with having Google Play now?
Installing CM10.1.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #73
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

I wanna cry! I wanna cry! ... I bought mine Friday, for 199 ...

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #74
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I wanna cry! I wanna cry! ... I bought mine Friday, for 199 ...

Can you take it back and get a refund then repurchase it? Some stores will allow customers to do this. Some stores will just refund you the difference if you bought it within a few days of the sale.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #75
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Can you take it back and get a refund then repurchase it? Some stores will allow customers to do this. Some stores will just refund you the difference if you bought it within a few days of the sale.
Apache
Yeah, good idea. I actually was going to try that this afternoon.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote