Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #31
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: BOL Oyo, Kobo Glo 8GB
on the german ebook reader page was it for 2 days
http://allesebook.de/e-book-reader/k...obo-glo-36607/
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #32
Koboloid
Koboloid is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo glo
Hello everyone, this is my 1st post
i just finished turning my kobo glo into a rooted kobo shine, not very complicated.
i installed some apps for testing, some gave me system crashes and i had to reboot.
i would be thankfull for suggestions for usefull working (if known) apps.
atm i have no idea how i can benefit from having such a device, beside of installing other readers.

working app(s) so far:
root explorer

to be continued...

Last edited by Koboloid; 11-04-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Koboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #33
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Now I'm really curious how this actually runs? Is it actually usable? If so I could be tempted into hacking my Kobo Glo.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
SyreKron
SyreKron is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
Now I'm really curious how this actually runs? Is it actually usable? If so I could be tempted into hacking my Kobo Glo.
It is usable though that really depends on app choices. Apps written for smartphones with fast refresh LCD screens don't work well (games).

I loaded my favorite note taking app (Note Everything) on it and it seemed to be perfectly functional. Much to my disappointment my favorite android keyboard (Message Ease) does not seem to work.

I suspect the biggest limitation with android on the Glo will turn out to be the battery life. The rest is just a simple matter of software
SyreKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #35
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think that Android will be more demanding in terms of power. The user might be, since there's a lot more to play with. Of course, when you are running a bunch of background application, there'll be a lot of background energy consumption...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #36
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Has anyone tried coolreader yet?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
SyreKron
SyreKron is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I don't think that Android will be more demanding in terms of power. The user might be, since there's a lot more to play with. Of course, when you are running a bunch of background application, there'll be a lot of background energy consumption...
I was thinking more about the increased rate of screen refreshes I saw using the android firmware. As I understand it, more refreshes = more power.

That is the pessimistic engineer coming through. Hopefully the Kobo battery will be enough for useful functions with android.
SyreKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #38
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, that's probably right. Well - when just reading books, there shouldn't be that much more refreshes, I guess?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #39
than.mx
than.mx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Kobo Glo (shortly!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyreKron View Post
I was thinking more about the increased rate of screen refreshes I saw using the android firmware. As I understand it, more refreshes = more power.

That is the pessimistic engineer coming through. Hopefully the Kobo battery will be enough for useful functions with android.
Not sure if it's a fair comparison but I've been using rooted Android on my Nook Simple Touch for a few months now- there was a bit of a hit in battery performance but not as much as I feared, it's still pretty strong. And the Nook is meant to have a vastly inferior battery, or so I've read (of course it also doesn't feature a light, runs Android out of the box, and has a lower res display too... hence, to answer my own question, it most probably isn't a fair comparison )

Aside:- as a newbie here, I just wanted to send my thanks to the OP and other contributors- this is quite an achievement and really exciting suff- looking forward to seeing how it progresses!
than.mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #40
emilianm
emilianm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
It is usable though that really depends on app choices. Apps written for smartphones with fast refresh LCD screens don't work well (games).

I loaded my favorite note taking app (Note Everything) on it and it seemed to be perfectly functional. Much to my disappointment my favorite android keyboard (Message Ease) does not seem to work.

I suspect the biggest limitation with android on the Glo will turn out to be the battery life. The rest is just a simple matter of software
Thank you very much for the explanations. I was wandering how easy is to go back to the original software if this is not working ! Is it possible to have something like "dual-boot": Android or original OS boot ?
emilianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #41
emilianm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I think you can choose to close all the activities when they go in background, this should help with the battery life!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #42
emilianm

Quote:

Could you tell us how it is behaving Kindle app, Google Book app, or other e-readers apps ?Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #43
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilianm View Post
Thank you very much for the explanations. I was wandering how easy is to go back to the original software if this is not working ! Is it possible to have something like "dual-boot": Android or original OS boot ?
You can dual-boot by having two separate MicroSDcards, one for each system, and swap them. You will have to open the back of your glo each time though.

See the first 10 photos at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48&postcount=2
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #44
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
would this run on a touch????
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #45
PhyrePhox
Enthusiast
PhyrePhox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
I tried writing the recovery.img from the Allesbook download to a spare mSD card but my Glo wouldn't do much: blue light at power-on then nothing. I must be missing something essential here.
PhyrePhox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, glo, kobo, shine, tolino